Home & Garden

Bathroom Renovation

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2006 10:27 am
Tags:
None

Poll: How much should labour be for renovating a bathroom?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2005
166 posts

Bathroom Renovation

We're looking into getting our master bathroom renovated. We will replace all existing items in the same location, but just updating them. (eg. New bathtub, same location. New tiles. New Vanity, same location. New Toilet, same location. Tiles will be laid on the floor (currently there is carpet).

If we were to buy all of the supplies ourselves, how much would labour cost? The bathroom is not that big, probably 6' x 7'.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15950 posts
6132 upvotes
Remember when you buy all the supplies yourself that some contractors will not warranty the work. They will tell you that they can't give you a guarentee when you might be using inferior products.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1282 posts
1 upvote
Linky. $10 000 is the average cost of a bathroom renovation apparently.

Are you removing existing tiles or not ? Let's say NO (not my preference though). Also, let's suppose you don't want a fancy tile pattern, and that those tiles are regular sized.

What's under the carpet ? Concrete or floorboards ? Let's say you don't need to prepare the floor under the carpet.

Don't forget all the stuff you would perhaps forget to buy, like supplies for joining the new waste pipe to existing system, wall fixings, etc.

I'd say that a new bath, vanity (with a sink I suppose ?), and tiles would take say 4 days to do by anyone half decent. Tiling would be longest.

A day to remove existing fittings and put in new ones if they are delivered pre-assembled. 2 or 3 days to do the floor then walls, depending on if the guy comes back to do the grout, and if he's fast or not... Of course, I suppose you'd want tiles behind the vanity, so that's not necessarily in chronological order.

And this doesn't include extras like painting the ceiling, door, window, curtain rail/blinds, sealing the grout, etc, etc.

Hmm. Definitely more than a thousand... I voted $1500, but it could be more...
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
1187 posts
1 upvote
Toronto ON
I put in a 4 piece bathroom in my basement, from scratch. There was no way it was even close to 10K. I would say probably about 3K in total.

However, I purchased all the materials myself at Home Depot and Home Hardware. I purchased high quality MOEN fixtures at an auction for $40, when they were likely closer to $400. I purchased the tiles for the tub and shower surround and floor, and installed them myself.

I hired help for the framing, plumbing, electrical. I did the paint finishes myself as well.

It totally depends on the quality of fixtures, for instance a jacuzzi jet tub compared to a standard tub. Italian tiles compared to standard Home Depot stock. Marble vanity versus something less expensive.

Like any job, you can make it more economical, or you can escalate the price. My bathroom is quite lovely, and I'm thankful I used the money for other things.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28432 posts
1207 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
daisyville wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2006 7:32 pm
I put in a 4 piece bathroom in my basement, from scratch. There was no way it was even close to 10K. I would say probably about 3K in total.

However, I purchased all the materials myself at Home Depot and Home Hardware. I purchased high quality MOEN fixtures at an auction for $40, when they were likely closer to $400. I purchased the tiles for the tub and shower surround and floor, and installed them myself.

I hired help for the framing, plumbing, electrical. I did the paint finishes myself as well.

It totally depends on the quality of fixtures, for instance a jacuzzi jet tub compared to a standard tub. Italian tiles compared to standard Home Depot stock. Marble vanity versus something less expensive.

Like any job, you can make it more economical, or you can escalate the price. My bathroom is quite lovely, and I'm thankful I used the money for other things.

wow...good on ya.

So the question is...when are you stopping by Ottawa :lol: .
PayTM - $80
PC OPT: $4274 Ebates: $63.50
100%+ BST & Heatware Est. 2005
Kijiji & FB Marketplace trash are what put a smile on my face each day
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1161 posts
20 upvotes
North Vancouver
Just renovated our bathroom and spent over $2000 on the demolition (remove plaster walls), trash removal, new drywall, tile tub surround, tile floor, new wiring for fixtures (halogen over tub) and would have easily spent another $1000+ on plumbing if my buddy weren't a plumber (new tub, 5-way diverter - shower bar, tub-filler, rain-head, body jets, new toilet, new vessel sink) - materials are easily in the $5k range ($1k tub, $1k toilet, $1k vessel sink with custom marbel vanity, $800 in tile, $900 in plumbing hardware, $500 in furnishing hardware and the list goes on) - $10k seems like a realistic figure for a complete reno (if you are paying someone to do it)

Either way you still have to inhale the dust for weeks :-)

(yes, a grand for a john - but the thing is freakin' awesome, Toto G-Max)
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
11 upvotes
KELOWNA
I'm doing something similar with my little bathroom. To replace the tub add at least $400 to the price of the tub, $100 for the toilet (I did mine myself, one of the easiest jobs which surprised me as I had no help, no experience, and am female but it wasn't that heavy or complicated) and if you are adding any new plumbing (vs just replacing faucets etc.) you have to probably add another $200+ for new lines to be put in.

Tile is what I am going through right now and the estimates are varying wildly. Apparently some tilers charge more for smaller rooms (not as easy to maneuver so a pain for them). Some use cement board, some aqua board and the material cost and labour varies depending on which you use so cement (which is supposed to be better) costs about double in the end. What you need to know before you go buying anything is what it's going to mean to the labour and materials as some tiles require a totally different and more solid base than others. On my floor I used small mosaics to avoid problems with the subfloor, if I had large tiles I would have been up against much higher costs in materials. I also had no cutting to do with small tiles so that meant I could do it myself. It came in sheets and was easy to do myself so I saved there.

The estimates I've had to tile the bath/shower area and wainscotting height in the rest of the room will be about $2500 as I understand the quotes. About $600 of that is materials. I have had a quote as high as $5000 and that is no wild patterns or anything unusual either. That's basic subway tile.

My guess, is you could probably be looking at something between $3000 and $6000 in labour depending on how available trades are in your area and what kind of prep your bathroom needs. Where I live, trades are hard to come by and I am discovering the tiling is what is going to cost me the most in that room.

Also, I wouldn't go buying the tiles etc. first. Often the trades can get it for you cheaper and it's more enticing to them because they can get a cut. They will tell you if it makes a difference to them or not. Also a lot have zero use for the quality of materials some home centres stock and you don't want to find out they could have brought in a better quality product for the same money. They also may not give you a warranty on their work if they don't supply or control the materials.

When I got my tub put in (basic soaker) the plumber told me what to look for and what to avoid. He warned me of things I wouldn't have thought of and that would take longer to install (more money out the window). As well, waiting until I hired him meant he would go pick up the tub on the way as he told me which store was more convenient for him (saving me a delivery charge). So unless you can get some spectacular deal, wait until you actually hire someone before buying anything.

You can also save some money by doing some demo yourself. Your old tub probably needs the tiles broken away to get it out. The toilet can be removed, rug pulled up, etc. Some things can wait. I saved having my bathroom light put in until the electrician was here doing something else. Otherwise I would have ended up paying him for a 2 hr. min anyway.

You might want to check and see if a general contractor will take it on. Then it's all up to them and you just get to stand back and watch. They worry about the subs, the materials, and the scheduling. Worth looking into anyway.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4727 posts
1084 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm renovating a bathroom now for someone, they are buying all the materials and I'm supplying all labour. They bought one of those fiberglass bathtubs with the surround for $1000, tap and shower for $200, toilet for $300, granite floor tile for $400 (with Ditra membrane... I would recommend this for every bathroom floor), exhaust fan for $100, sink and tap for $180, got their vanity for free, tiles for vanity top for $150. So far my labour has cost them $500 which includes demolition, minor framing, install tub and fixtures, install subfloor and tiles/ grout, drywall and the total labour is going to be about $800 when I'm done
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
1361 posts
213 upvotes
Woodbridge
We redid our main bathroom this past summer and it cost us:

$4300 for the hardware (tub, toilet, vanity, shower/sink fixtures, tiles)
$500 for drywall, paint, cement, and the other little things
$3000 for labour which consisted of my brother in law (gen contractor), plumber, tiler and electrician

Total of ~$7800.

So yeah renovating a bathroom can easily be anywhere from $5K-10K with probably 1/3 to 1/2 of that being labour.

Lobo
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2432 posts
420 upvotes
Ottawa
my aunt and uncle just did their bathroom which is slightly larger than 6x7 it's about 5x9 and they spent 12k.

I thought that was large... until i redid my own. But I picked top of the line Tiles. I picked a insane custom vanity with waterfall facuet and sink.. thermostatic valves for the shower and etc.. damn guest bathroom cost tons.

realistically. plan out exactly what you want. get 3 quotes on what someone would charge you. Decide how quickly you want it done, because in all honesty. Every time i used the cheapest contractor or the cheapest carpenter the job took double the time. and unless you want this to drag out pay the guy in the middle. You're ahead simply because the job will get done sooner than later.