Home & Garden

Bathroom renovations gone awry

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2015 3:20 am
Nov 3, 2014
110 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Ziggy007 wrote: LOL what? Besides a CUSTOM MADE 9 foot long vanity along with higher than normal quartz countertop there is nothing special about it.

What world do you live in?

As soon as you start talking about having a vanity custom made you are already into higher end finishes....
Fair enough, when I said it wasn't high end finishes I was referring to the quality of the materials, but I understand $4000+ in a vanity its not considered basic.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga
I just gutted a 3 piece in my main floor cost me about 8 grand in all replacing everything including the floor and so forth. This is in a 35 year old house.

Just not sure what could possibly be done in a nearly new house, to create such an expensive scenario unless we are talking stupid extravagance (gold stuff lol)
Nov 3, 2014
110 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The vanity I had to get is almost twice the size of the one you have (108"). Up to 72" can be found in the big box stores, more than that and you need to get it custom made
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6024 posts
1873 upvotes
LandKing wrote: huh? those are prices for more like public washrooms

toilet seats alone can run for 1200+ for electronic ones, add another $500 for toilet ..you want a shower panel? another 600.. glass enclosure shower with marble/porcelain tiles? nice quartz countertops with double sinks, nicer faucets and etc.. easy to get up there once you start using non cookie cutter subdivision stuff.

heated floors?
Did you even read my post? I said if they aren't getting nicer finishes and more high end things that you listed like heated floors then they are getting ripped off for that 38K...

A small bathroom could be done for about 3K in materials for a solid finish. A large bathroom is probably around 10-12K assuming you are doing the work yourself. Labor would probably double the cost of either.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
To all the people going on about the price, without knowing specifics we can only speculate, perhaps there is extensive damage (from water leakage or weather), or the bathroom is being made for someone with disabilities, or who knows, while i agree that 38k is a lot (i could not in this lifetime afford that) judging the cost without any information just leads to OP bashing, and besides the cost bears little relation to the point of this thread, the point is they hired a contractor who is not delivering and appears to be running away with their money.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Any reputable company around us provides a quote in the 20 range (we had many)...and these are not luxurious renovations, but do include gut to stud .
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
3208 posts
1526 upvotes
time to follow Quentin5's advice, a higher quality bathroom with heated ceramic floor, walk in shower, good quality tub, double vanity, and toilet, in a decent home is 20 to 25k at an absolute minimum in the GTA, and can easily run to mid thirties, forties, or even 50k (There are tubs alone that cost upwards of five grand, a heated and tiled floor can be the same price or more installed, a walk in shower with glass door - 1 grand for tile, 1 grand for fixtures, another grand for a glass door) is easily another five k.

I think the OP wants useful advice in case the reno actually goes south.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2619 posts
273 upvotes
Blanco kitchen sinks sell for 1200 but a year later you can buy them for 120 on their website . Im guessing all these luxury reno's depreciate rapidly. But i woyld love gemstone bathtub.
Feb 27, 2012
105 posts
12 upvotes
OTTAWA
dreaderus wrote: If house is pretty new who spends 38k on a bathroom
Indeed! It is a hefty price to pay for bathroom renovation. This is not a rich couple. Still they make enough to pay for renovations to a home that they plan to keep for the rest of their lives. Investing in renovations while they can still pay for those and not wait for when they retire makes sense to them. I know them well enough to say that, like most people these days, they both work very hard for their money and, in their case, in spite of the odds that are stacked against them health-wise. That's why it breaks my heart to see them in such a predicament.

Today, they learnt that the bathroom appliances that they had ordered & already paid for through the contractor cannot be delivered to their home because of about $11k worth of appliances, the contractor has only paid $2.5K to the supplier! The supplier tells them that they can have the appliances if they cough up the remaining $8K!

As for the contractor, I'm told that none of those contacted at the company yesterday and today know where he is or what is going on with the company!!! This is all very strange and worrisome.
Feb 27, 2012
105 posts
12 upvotes
OTTAWA
Quentin5 wrote: To all the people going on about the price, without knowing specifics we can only speculate, perhaps there is extensive damage (from water leakage or weather), or the bathroom is being made for someone with disabilities, or who knows, while i agree that 38k is a lot (i could not in this lifetime afford that) judging the cost without any information just leads to OP bashing, and besides the cost bears little relation to the point of this thread, the point is they hired a contractor who is not delivering and appears to be running away with their money.
Thanks Quentin5! You are very kind. Still questions are ok. I don't mind. There is much to learn about the pitfalls of renovating with this case. For example, regarding the appliances, when we renovated our house in Quebec, *we* bought the appliances for the bathrooms ourselves and had them delivered to our home for the contractor to install. He was ok with that, and so were we. Whereas here, my friends bought their appliances from a supplier of the contractor and now they can't get them delivered to their home because the contractor has not yet paid for them! Bummer! I don't know how a client prevents such mishap, but knowing that that can happen may get people to seek advice before going that way.

As for the situation that might have led to mounting costs that you mention, in their case, it's not that. It's just that they wanted some really neat appliances that would allow them to relax and enjoy the rest of their day at home after a good day's work. Those appliances are rather expensive. So if you subtract say $12k of appliances from the $38k total, the remaining $26k is what the renovation itself is costing. It's still rather high in my opinion, but so it is.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Meesty wrote: Thanks Quentin5! You are very kind. Still questions are ok. I don't mind. There is much to learn about the pitfalls of renovating with this case. For example, regarding the appliances, when we renovated our house in Quebec, *we* bought the appliances for the bathrooms ourselves and had them delivered to our home for the contractor to install. He was ok with that, and so were we. Whereas here, my friends bought their appliances from a supplier of the contractor and now they can't get them delivered to their home because the contractor has not yet paid for them! Bummer! I don't know how a client prevents such mishap, but knowing that that can happen may get people to seek advice before going that way.

As for the situation that might have led to mounting costs that you mention, in their case, it's not that. It's just that they wanted some really neat appliances that would allow them to relax and enjoy the rest of their day at home after a good day's work. Those appliances are rather expensive. So if you subtract say $12k of appliances from the $38k total, the remaining $26k is what the renovation itself is costing. It's still rather high in my opinion, but so it is.
Do let us know how it turns out, even if its a few months from now
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1843 posts
526 upvotes
Meesty wrote: Thanks Quentin5! You are very kind. Still questions are ok. I don't mind. There is much to learn about the pitfalls of renovating with this case. For example, regarding the appliances, when we renovated our house in Quebec, *we* bought the appliances for the bathrooms ourselves and had them delivered to our home for the contractor to install. He was ok with that, and so were we. Whereas here, my friends bought their appliances from a supplier of the contractor and now they can't get them delivered to their home because the contractor has not yet paid for them! Bummer! I don't know how a client prevents such mishap, but knowing that that can happen may get people to seek advice before going that way.

So any word from the contractor or have the fixtures been delivered?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Any updates on this saga?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)