Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4747 posts
2197 upvotes

Baton Rouge overcharging

I've went to Baton Rouge a handful of times for diner in the last few months, and every single time they have charged me for an item that is supposed to be part of the table d'hôte. Also the first time they presented an option as if it was part of the table d'hôte as well, and I only learned it wasn't once I got the bill. If I hadn't pointed out the mistake every time or hadn't paid attention I would have had to pay extra multiple times.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1376 upvotes
Kanata
I stopped going there due to the fact that they put these monster broccoli on the plate along with the ribs - they are as big as trees and take up half the plate. They seem to be lightly steamed so they're bloody tough to try and cut down to size. It's almost as if it were a message from the kitchen to eat quick and GTFO. And for all the hoopla, their ribs aren't really all that great. For anyone in Ottawa, try out the place next to the Lone Star on Baseline and Fisher, Crab Daddy's Oyster Shack (or something like that) where the ribs are to die for!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1207 posts
262 upvotes
Kanata
Big daddy's crap shack on fisher/baseline is gone. It is not a gourmet burger place. I have not eaten there, so I can not testify to the quality.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9737 posts
4045 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure if the 'Crap' was a typo...P and B aren't very close on the keyboard. lol

Anyone know if Big Daddy's Crab Shack and Oyster Bar (yes that's the actual name) is still open on Elgin? They used to have a really good Surf n' Turf about 15 years ago.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9633 posts
14499 upvotes
Scarborough
So it specifically says on the menu that this item should be a part of what you were ordering? That seems pretty shady if it does.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4747 posts
2197 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Jan 15th, 2014 12:00 pm
So it specifically says on the menu that this item should be a part of what you were ordering? That seems pretty shady if it does.
Yes. Basically what mostly happens is that the waiter comes and asks me what I want to drink. He brings me a diet coke, and later he takes my order for a table d'hôte. But when I see the bill, I see that I have been billed for the coke even though it was part of table d'hôte. I now had to have this corrected four times in a row.

Another time I was brought a regular coke (not from tap), completely out of the blue. I pointed out to him later that I had never asked for it and there was a coke as part of the table d'hôte as well, and he told me he had to get approval from his manager not to bill me for it (!!!).

I can understand human mistake but it seems to happen systematically, and someone in my situation who wouldn't have been vigilant would have overpaid many times by now. I just wonder if it happened to other Bâton Rouge patrons, or if it's just their billing system which is this bad. I take tâble d'hôtes at many other places and I have never been billed extra for a soft drink.
Penalty Box
Feb 7, 2010
1355 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
baton rouge....horrible service and so-so food

first time there as a group with friends, and waitress "lost" a friend's bill and they made him pay again which he refused because..why would anyone pay twice for their mistake? we (12 people) all gave her our bills individually, and she just so happens lost one guy's bill....okay there

second time there with my SO, and waiter asked me to "try their special something something gravy" which i said ok. after i finished the gravy (with the food obviously...) he asked if i would like another one which i said okay.................when i got the bill, those 2 gravys were $2 each, and they're size of a shotglass... -_- ridiculous
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9737 posts
4045 upvotes
Ottawa
reyoasian wrote:
Jan 15th, 2014 1:04 pm
I probably will never understand why these overpriced chain restaurants serving glorified frozen food are thriving and popping up everywhere(let's not kid ourselves, cripes the baked potatoes at Moxie's are frozen)

We're so used to garbage processed food that peoples' tastebuds are seriously out of whack.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4747 posts
2197 upvotes
Yeah I will probably avoid them from now on, unless there is a big special. There are far better alternatives, especially here.

Most of the food has been very good though, and not frozen (apart from the fries).
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7804 posts
875 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2014 1:19 pm
I probably will never understand why these overpriced chain restaurants serving glorified frozen food are thriving and popping up everywhere(let's not kid ourselves, cripes the baked potatoes at Moxie's are frozen)

We're so used to garbage processed food that peoples' tastebuds are seriously out of whack.
Key word is consistency, these chain restaurants all have the same menu, decor and often even the same layouts. For someone who find something they like, they can go to any say, Kelsey's in another town or province and get pretty much the same thing for the same price, it's familiar so it appeals to people's sense of comfort. It's appealing for groups of people too because generally most people will be familiar with one chain or another and don't need to persuade someone to try something new or direct them to a place they've never been to before.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4747 posts
2197 upvotes
kennyhohoho wrote:
Jan 15th, 2014 4:05 pm
There's a reason why the one near me has gone out of business (Heartland Mississauga).
Might be due to competition though. Like Applebee's, Moxie, Kelsey and the others are any better.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
559 upvotes
reyoasian wrote:
Jan 15th, 2014 1:04 pm

first time there as a group with friends, and waitress "lost" a friend's bill and they made him pay again which he refused because..why would anyone pay twice for their mistake? we (12 people) all gave her our bills individually, and she just so happens lost one guy's bill....okay there

second time there with my SO, and waiter asked me to "try their special something something gravy" which i said ok. after i finished the gravy (with the food obviously...) he asked if i would like another one which i said okay.................when i got the bill, those 2 gravys were $2 each, and they're size of a shotglass... -_- ridiculous
I'm surprised they accomdated 12 separate bills... That's crazy
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6361 posts
193 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jan 15th, 2014 10:49 am
I've went to Baton Rouge a handful of times for diner in the last few months, and every single time they have charged me for an item that is supposed to be part of the table d'hôte. Also the first time they presented an option as if it was part of the table d'hôte as well, and I only learned it wasn't once I got the bill. If I hadn't pointed out the mistake every time or hadn't paid attention I would have had to pay extra multiple times.
I've had that happen a few times at other restaurants. I've only been to Baton Rouge a couple of times and really wasn't that impressed. I met a bunch of friends at one of the locations and while we were waiting for the other gals to show up, we went to the bar area. The bartender asked us what we wanted. I ordered my standard Diet Coke and my friends ordered wine but the bartender gave them a suggestion and they all went for it. When they got their bill, they saw that they'd been charged $17 for each glass. Yes, they probably should have asked the guy how much each glass would be before ordering but at the same time, pretty sleazy to upsell in such a blatant manner.