Computers & Electronics

Battery Bank mAh Limit for Carry On Airplane?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2014 10:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 13, 2012
1441 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto

Battery Bank mAh Limit for Carry On Airplane?

Hey guys,

I'm doing some travelling next week and am looking to purchase this battery bank to use for my laptop and peripherals.

Intocircuit® Power Castle Series PC26000 26000mAh Multi-Voltage
http://www.amazon.ca/Intocircuit-PC1120 ... B00BB5GQRE

What is the mAh limit for carry on these days? I can't seem to find the data.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
That thing is a brick... Do you really need that many mAH? Most laptops can last 5+ hours on a standard battery.

Canada's rules are more stringent than that of our American overlords:
Consumer electronic devices: (watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, laptop computers, camcorders, etc.) containing lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries when carried by passengers or crew for personal use which should be carried as carry-on baggage. Spare batteries must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits (by placing in original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery or cells in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch) and carried in carry-on baggage only. In addition, each installed or spare battery must not exceed the following:

For lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries, a lithium content of not more than 2 grams; or
For lithium ion batteries, a watt-hour rating of not more than 100 Wh.
With the approval of the airline, lithium ion batteries exceeding 100 Wh rating but not exceeding 160 Wh may be carried as spare batteries in carry-on baggage or in equipment in either checked or carry-on baggage. No more than two individually protected spare batteries per passenger or crew may be carried.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... u-1574.htm

Here is the TSA FAQ regarding batteries: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/hea ... teries.pdf

I believe the battery is just within Canadian limits (95 - 98wH), so you should be ok...
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
You don't need any of those. Most (if not all) aircraft have USB chargers and 110v outlets for laptops (max is 100 watts). Best to check with your airline. Even economy seats had them last time I flew.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: You don't need any of those. Most (if not all) aircraft have USB chargers and 110v outlets for laptops (max is 100 watts). Best to check with your airline. Even economy seats had them last time I flew.
Many US air carriers do not have those jacks; Air Canada Rouge/RapidAir does not have them, and WestJet is hit or miss.

With all the travel I did last year, never needed a super sized battery - a pocket sized one for my cell phone was more than adequate.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2012
1441 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
I appreciate the replies. This will not be used just for the airplane as I will be backpacking and will be using the laptop on the go.
Oct 17, 2012
310 posts
616 upvotes
I was recently on American Airlines and carried an 8000 mAh and two 2200 mAh portable chargers onto their plane. There was no problem at all. On the American Airlines site it just says all the ports have to be covered and you'll be fine. I don't think there is a mAh limit for batteries to carry on the plane. A battery is a battery and mAh just basically changes the size so I think you'll be fine even if you carry 10 of those.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1589 posts
202 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: You don't need any of those. Most (if not all) aircraft have USB chargers and 110v outlets for laptops (max is 100 watts). Best to check with your airline. Even economy seats had them last time I flew.
Sadly not yet true. United flight from ORD to Hawaii had none! Good thing I was prepared and everything was charged.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
joeonepack wrote: What is the mAh limit for carry on these days? I can't seem to find the data.
It's literally the first hit on Google.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... -batteries

This is an exception rather than a rule. A LOT of planes still dont' have either USB or 110V.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
joeonepack wrote: I appreciate the replies. This will not be used just for the airplane as I will be backpacking and will be using the laptop on the go.
If you're backpacking, perhaps consider something like Voltaic Solar Charger? At least you can get power in the wild.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)