Expired Hot Deals

[Bauer Systems] [Bauer Systems]/$500/Refurb X1 Carbon *3rd* Gen/14" TOUCH 2560x1440/i5-5300U/8GBRAM/128SSD/Win 10 Pro/Updated w/ Review!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2019 10:32 am
Jul 19, 2018
115 posts
118 upvotes
What's the real world battery life like on one of these laptops? Will it get you through the day or is it more like 2-3 hours of regular usage?
Sep 2, 2018
524 posts
604 upvotes
Blainville, QC
ohwowhi wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:59 am
What's the real world battery life like on one of these laptops? Will it get you through the day or is it more like 2-3 hours of regular usage?
I've observed 2-3h for these.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
1235 posts
142 upvotes
Just picked up a X1 Carbon - thanks for all the help guys - especially Glancealot.

Shipping was relatively cheap/reasonable - Fedex Next Day within GTA - $15.
Jun 13, 2015
45 posts
80 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
I would go with X1 Carbon compare to T450.

Great laptop, great screen and less weight.

However if you are not mobile and you want higher ram and SSD then T450 is your choice.
Jan 9, 2013
107 posts
23 upvotes
Thornhill
Do these X1's require an adapter for ethernet?
May 22, 2015
199 posts
75 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
amdy88 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 2:00 pm
Do these X1's require an adapter for ethernet?
Yah it needs one. Has a mini that requires adapter
May 22, 2015
199 posts
75 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
phillipsbluebuck wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:38 pm
So just to confirm I have installed the new m.2 SATA western digital blue 1tb. Detected immediately after swapping. Installing windows now. I'll try and give an update in a day or so. Wasn't too impressed with how they cleaned it. Also the power cord is slightly bent at the propitary square connection. Might email about that but otherwise good so far
Is there a better way of checking battery wear than command prompt? It showed roughly 7% when checking there. I just googled the windows method. Is it accurate?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3211 posts
3463 upvotes
Man, I have been a regular customer of bauersystems for a long time. This is like my 15th purchase from them, all the purchases have been pretty good up-to this point.

They really dropped the ball this time!Angry FaceAngry FaceAngry Face

i ordered a refurbished x1 carbon 3rd gen, what did i get? an almost new x1 carbon 3rd gen, with a screen protector that I wasn't even aware of! WTF?!

ok in all seriousness, i am so glad I got another one from them.

this one's physical condition is simply pristine, there is basically no sign of usage, the original owner must have always used usb keyboard, usb mouse.

all hardware specs are as described: i5, 8GB ram, 2560*1440 touch resolution.

as i mentioned, it even came with a screen protector (like those you put on your iphone), see picture below for more details.

the battery life wear is 6%, i.e., pretty much brand new, unbelievable. (confirmed by both hwmonitor and windows report as shown below)

the SSD is in good health too.

pictures:

Bitcoin will crash hard.
Jul 23, 2018
58 posts
19 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 3:13 pm
Man, I have been a regular customer of bauersystems for a long time. This is like my 15th purchase from them, all the purchases have been pretty good up-to this point.

i ordered a refurbished x1 carbon 3rd gen, what did i get? an almost new x1 carbon 3rd gen, with a screen protector that I wasn't even aware of! WTF?!

this one's physical condition is simply pristine, there is basically no sign of usage, the original owner must have always used usb keyboard, usb mouse.

as i mentioned, it even came with a screen protector (like those you put on your iphone), see picture below for more details.

the battery life wear is 6%, i.e., pretty much brand new, unbelievable. (confirmed by both hwmonitor and windows report as shown below)

pictures:
Someone there likes you! Who do you deal with? Order one for me too please. Lol.

Are you keeping or reselling this?
Last edited by OongaLoonga on Jan 17th, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 24, 2006
591 posts
78 upvotes
Scarborough
How much you want for it ? ☺
Glancealot wrote:

pictures:

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3211 posts
3463 upvotes
when you quote my review post, please don't quote the pictures, it takes up so much space and can get annoying when other people are trying to follow the thread.
OongaLoonga wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 3:25 pm
Are you keeping or reselling this?
ahlavanthan wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 3:49 pm
How much you want for it ? ☺
sorry not selling for now. will use it for a bit.
OongaLoonga wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 3:25 pm
Someone there likes you! Who do you deal with? Order one for me too please. Lol.
maybe they secretly follow these bauersystems thread and have created a 1-to-1 mapping of RFD poster vs. actual customer?

in all seriousness, i think this batch of x1 carbon they got is just good, otherwise it wouldn't have been almost sold out already.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
6748 posts
7079 upvotes
Nice work on the laptop demo and SSD information, @Glancealot.

Can folks keep quoting his original post, I'm finding it too easy to scroll through this page.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3211 posts
3463 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 4:12 pm
Nice work on the laptop demo and SSD information, @Glancealot.

Can folks keep quoting his original post, I'm finding it too easy to scroll through this page.
on the bright side, you probably have memorized the current capacity of my X1 battery by now. Winking Face
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Sep 4, 2010
339 posts
116 upvotes
Brampton
Glancealot wrote:
This is installed at the factory by Lenovo to reduce glare. Have since removed as it can have a bit of "screen door effect" - removing makes a noticeable improvement in clarity and brightness. source

Thanks again for posting this. This machine is so... what's the word... compliant. Fan almost never turns on, screen is sharp, clear, great colours. Sleeps, wakes, boots almost instantly every time. Used for 6+hrs once, no battery warning. It behaves like no other machine I own or have used, just works 100% of the time, predictably great. Buy one if your on the fence. Just setup my brother in law's $1000+ yoga 730 - i7/16gb - it's no better, in fact it let you know by way of fan every time it got pushed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3211 posts
3463 upvotes
ormefocus2 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 4:35 pm
Buy one if your on the fence. Just setup my brother in law's $1000+ yoga 730 - i7/16gb - it's no better, in fact it let you know by way of fan every time it got pushed.
I am sure there is a way to control the fan and set a higher temperature threshold on the yoga.

with that being said, the fact that I regretted selling my first unit and ended up buying a second one should give people confidence that these are great, great machines.
Bitcoin will crash hard.