Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bauer Systems] Refurb (&new) Laptops/Desktops/Monitors/SSD/Tablets&Phone/with mini buying guide

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 11:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3492 upvotes

Refurb (&new) Laptops/Desktops/Monitors/SSD/Tablets&Phone/with mini buying guide

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Bauer Systems
Their Inventory list (return policies and other info at the bottom):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-hKAmQahPcEV_h5mwflWGLWCQtqkKOBDbsakv4ee2u0

Really nice vendor for a wide selection of refurb laptops, from $700+ Macbooks to sub $100 thinkpads. They also sometimes have cheap iphones in stock although those usually sell out soon.

They offer you the option to not having a pre-installed OS, i.e., you do not have to pay for the OS if you know how to install win7/8/10 on your own with the certificate of authenticity under the laptop battery (or the OEM windows key in bios, which can be viewed using this software). Therefore you end up paying less than if you bought from another vendor. (it is really simple, for example, windows 7 iso can all be downloaded here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6bNnleDp7llcGdMR3FEcjRjTGM

then you simply use microsoft's usb tool to create your own windows 7 installation usb

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

and then you boot the laptop using the USB and enter the certificate of authenticity found under the laptop battery, or it might detect the bios OEM license.

They also offer you the option to swap-in brand new SSDs for very reasonable costs, they also price match (way more lenient than bestbuy, just don't abuse their kindness)

They also have been around for decades and have very good reputation, although they mainly deal with companies instead of individual customers, so you probably haven't heard of them on RFD. Some folks also try to keep it down because they want the best deals to themselves.

I made my first purchase from them when I started this thread, the total number of laptops i have bought from them is now 6.

I thought i would share my experience here so that people can also take advantage of their amazingly low and reasonable prices!

The process: You see something you like, call them (905-512-0641) and ask for either mitch or mohit, provide credit card info over the phone, they charge you and ship you the item, not your traditional online shopping experience, but the prices are simply unbeatable.

Some warnings about buying refurbs without OS, you need to do quite a bit of research to fine-tune the machine, for me, it was an enjoyable learning experience!

1, go into msconfig (windows key + R, type msconfig), under boot, under advanced options, make sure number of processors is unchecked. this is extremely important.

2, make sure you use snappy driver to install all the right drivers and use manufacture support software like dell SupportAssist (if you buy a dell) to install bios upgrades

for snappy drivers:
go to here: https://sdi-tool.org/download/
get SDI Lite, install, download index only, then download install all the driver updates

for dell supportassist, just google it.

i am sure other PC makers have their own version support softwares, such as HP: http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html
google is your friend

3, if your computer cannot go to sleep or hibernate, make sure all the right drivers are installed. also, there is an option in bios to disable sleep for some machines, I had to turn that option off!

4, install all the windows updates and windows defender (microsoft security essentials)

5, make sure that, when everything is said and done, you run performance test and see scores that are reasonable. the reason for this is, even though you might have a machine that is fully set-up, it might not be optimized. I discovered that using the most recent driver for my GPU caused my GPU to run at 10% of its capacity yesterday, i installed the driver from nvidia directly instead of going through snappy or dell, huge mistake.

PerformanceTest 9 can be downloaded here:

https://www.passmark.com/download/pt_download.htm

6, Here are some other software that you want to install:

throttlestop, this can be used to undervolt(if the CPU supports it) and set multiplier to address any performance (force a higher multiplier) or overheating issues (force a lower multiplier).

CPUz, hardware monitor and SSD life, these can be used to ensure that you understand what's inside your laptop and if they are in good condition.

I have provided a review of my 4th laptop from them in this post, the whole buying experience is completely different from dealing with bestbuy, IBM, refurbio/dellrefurbished, it's more personal and definitely refreshing!
Last edited by Glancealot on Oct 9th, 2018 11:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
1114 replies
Jan 19, 2006
427 posts
199 upvotes
BC
Been browsing Bauer's inventory from time to time but never bought.

Great post OP!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3492 upvotes
cloudsuck wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 1:15 am
Been browsing Bauer's inventory from time to time but never bought.

Great post OP!!!
thanks, just trying to share my positive experience.

also, credit to @chatbox for introducing me to them:
chatbox wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 4:13 pm
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... l=en#gid=0

The Precision 4800 going for 450. Add an SSD and you're good to go. (with i7-4800MQ)

EDIT: Oops, they's all gone.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2411 posts
965 upvotes
GTA
I purchased a refurbished Dell desktop from them approximately two years ago. Still using it (and very happy with the purchase). Great customer service before and after the purchase. Highly recommended!
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Apr 8, 2005
566 posts
110 upvotes
Do they just constantly update that spreadsheet or is there another link to browse inventory?
Aug 19, 2008
954 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Bauer replied by email within minutes and answered all my questions.
I've been using refurb.io for more than 10 computers and on my last order I called them/emailed with straight to voicemail and no replies whatsoever.
This is definitely a nice change-up.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2323 posts
1250 upvotes
GVRD
Now the secret is out... Weary Face

Their $250 minimum buy is not strictly enforced, but keep in mind shipping is at normal small business rate (ie desktop is about $32 from ON to BC).

Their spreadsheet is updated live and you can see the changes as they color coded their staff.

For laptops, you will want to ask them for the serial number if you are looking for HD+ display as they don't list it.

None of them comes with OS, and you can buy a refurbished COA for $20-$30. If they come with Windows 8 or 10 then it *should* technically activate automatically when the correct version is installed. If you install Windows 10, most of the drivers are automatically installed when you do Windows Updates. I think this process works up to 5th gen Intel products.

I am not sure why OP says to disable SpeedStep, it is an Intel feature on all modern CPUs to optimize power usage. Generally I would disable SOL and Remote Management and AMT. I think OP is trying to squeeze every single bit out of the machine which is fine. But in most cases, there are very little to be tweaked as these are business computers meant for stability, management, and the drivers either from Windows Update or the mfg are offered based on reliability. I order these for senior clients who just need a computer for internet, and the typical $300 Acer from Walmart is not even worth it.

My buying process with them is like this:
1) Check the spreadsheet
2) Email to request a quote for all the items you need (itemized)
3) Once quote/invoice is received, call to make payment
4) Wait for tracking #
5) Enjoy

Bauer is good so far, if you need a computer for cheap, they have it. Some times, when Dell Refurbished has 50% off, Dell could be less.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2403 posts
381 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
I've bought a couple refurb laptops from there and can also vouch for them. They respond quickly to questions and the laptops have been as described.
Feb 12, 2017
92 posts
54 upvotes
shipping+handling kills any deals, any day!

dont waste your time.

there is a reason why Baur is not popular at rfd.

Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2323 posts
1250 upvotes
GVRD
althegreat wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 10:53 am

dont waste your time.

You have another company that you use and vouch for?

I just ordered 1x ThinkCenter M73 10B6 - SFF - 1 x Core i5 4570, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 1x Windows 10 COA, 1yr warranty, shipping and tax = $247 + 5% tax. Please tell me you can get something similar elsewhere with Bauer's customer service.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8208 posts
3340 upvotes
Markham
althegreat wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 10:53 am

dont waste your time.

Well yeah, they are a wholesaler that supplies companies like refurbio...

I've bought from them a few times in lots, could vouch for the service.
Mar 17, 2011
4 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary
Their "Attempt at Clarity" on the bottom of the Google Doc makes me want to buy from them!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3492 upvotes
imulji wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 11:24 am
Their "Attempt at Clarity" on the bottom of the Google Doc makes me want to buy from them!
the only downside is:
WE DON'T SELL FIDGET SPINNERS
Winking Face
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1189 posts
261 upvotes
Is it possible to visit their warehouse and pick from inventory ?