Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bauer Systems] Refurb (&new) Laptops/Desktops/Monitors/SSD/Tablets&Phone/with mini buying guide

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2019 2:12 pm
Oct 27, 2016
325 posts
94 upvotes
GTA
somebody here who snagged the 55$ t420? i shouldnt had second thoughts, its gone now lol. i was thinking in making it a coreboot to support quadcore 3rd gen CPU! oh well wallet is safe
[removed]
Aug 17, 2015
201 posts
187 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
This was my first order from Bauer and I can safely say that I would highly recommend staying away if you've ordered from other refurb companies in the past (Dell, Refurb.io, etc), and are concerned about physical appearance of the product.

I ordered 2 e7240's, and they just showed up. Before ordering I was emailing back and forth with Mohit who told me that they were Grade A condition, so I was very comfortable in ordering - I never had communication with somebody who was actually in the warehouse with the physical laptops before. I just opened the box and both laptop lids are in worse shape than any B grade laptop I have ever bought. The rubbery, faux carbon fibre coating is rubbed completely through in some spots, and has deep scratches right through the coating all over the lids on both machines. Both machines also feel like the hinge is so loose it is going to fall either closed or all the way back when I open the lid. ***Edit - one of the machines lids does fall closed when it is opened less than 90 degrees.

I haven't even powered on the laptops yet and I wanted to jump on here to let people know - just in case they have their hopes up like I did that this would be a good place to buy a refurb from. I've ordered Grade B from Dell (DFS), refurb.io, ebay, boxarroo, among other refurb retailers before and this was buy FAR the worst condition I've received a product in before - And I was told they were supposed to be Grade A.
Feb 25, 2016
51 posts
5 upvotes
Montreal
tbonegreen wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:39 pm
This was my first order from Bauer and I can safely say that I would highly recommend staying away if you've ordered from other refurb companies in the past (Dell, Refurb.io, etc), and are concerned about physical appearance of the product.

I ordered 2 e7240's, and they just showed up. Before ordering I was emailing back and forth with Mohit who told me that they were Grade A condition, so I was very comfortable in ordering - I never had communication with somebody who was actually in the warehouse with the physical laptops before. I just opened the box and both laptop lids are in worse shape than any B grade laptop I have ever bought. The rubbery, faux carbon fibre coating is rubbed completely through in some spots, and has deep scratches right through the coating all over the lids on both machines. Both machines also feel like the hinge is so loose it is going to fall either closed or all the way back when I open the lid. ***Edit - one of the machines lids does fall closed when it is opened less than 90 degrees.

I haven't even powered on the laptops yet and I wanted to jump on here to let people know - just in case they have their hopes up like I did that this would be a good place to buy a refurb from. I've ordered Grade B from Dell (DFS), refurb.io, ebay, boxarroo, among other refurb retailers before and this was buy FAR the worst condition I've received a product in before - And I was told they were supposed to be Grade A.
I just bought 2 Dells E7450 at 335$ and both are like new , but i agree that Dellrefurbished has better quality ( and much pricier too ! ) .
Sep 2, 2018
424 posts
420 upvotes
Blainville, QC
tbonegreen wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:39 pm

ryanrudolf wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:12 pm
somebody here who snagged the 55$ t420? i shouldnt had second thoughts, its gone now lol. i was thinking in making it a coreboot to support quadcore 3rd gen CPU! oh well wallet is safe
:( I have bought from them plenty of times, but I usually stick to the sub-$100 "easy enough to fix" A- units. And TBH, they've always been in a better shape than I expect. @ryanrudolf I picked up that T420 precisely for corebooting. My wallet wasn't saved :P
Oct 27, 2016
325 posts
94 upvotes
GTA
^ ah good catch you beat me to it!
i have a spare T420s though but i dont see the point in doing coreboot to that thing as the CPU is soldered. will you do the FHD / WQHD mod on that T420 too?
[removed]
Sep 2, 2018
424 posts
420 upvotes
Blainville, QC
ryanrudolf wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 1:04 pm
^ ah good catch you beat me to it!
i have a spare T420s though but i dont see the point in doing coreboot to that thing as the CPU is soldered. will you do the FHD / WQHD mod on that T420 too?
If I can find a panel at the right price, sure. :) That's usually the bigger challenge than doing the mod itself. Somehow these things are so darn popular even though the platform is so old.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18354 posts
1595 upvotes
sid8tive wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 2:12 pm
If I can find a panel at the right price, sure. :) That's usually the bigger challenge than doing the mod itself. Somehow these things are so darn popular even though the platform is so old.
Must be nice to have the time to do so. I enjoy tinkering but I simply don't have the time. I currently have a Sony Vaio Fit 15 that needs a keyboard and haven't even bothered to order one. With that said, I snagged a used Zenbook 3 Deluxe for $150 and managed to fix that one recently. I finally have a replacement for my Vaio Z1290S from 2010.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Oct 28, 2005
382 posts
155 upvotes
sid8tive wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 12:31 pm

:( I have bought from them plenty of times, but I usually stick to the sub-$100 "easy enough to fix" A- units. And TBH, they've always been in a better shape than I expect. @ryanrudolf I picked up that T420 precisely for corebooting. My wallet wasn't saved :P
What is corebooting?
Oct 27, 2016
325 posts
94 upvotes
GTA
tivo_box wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 3:33 am
What is corebooting?
flashing a new, open-source BIOS.
[removed]
Sep 2, 2018
424 posts
420 upvotes
Blainville, QC
tivo_box wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 3:33 am
What is corebooting?
ryanrudolf wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 4:18 am
flashing a new, open-source BIOS.
Yep. And to add to that: for two reasons - (a) Just because and it's FOSS (Free and Open Source) and (b) It unlocks the ability to upgrade to Ivy Bridge CPUs.
Jan 18, 2017
416 posts
137 upvotes
What does everyone think of line 29: $170 THINKCENTRE M93p SFF for with i5 4570 and 4GB of RAM. I think I have 4gb of DDR3 lying around, I'll grab a $40 SSD.

Wife's machine, she will do some light video work (Resolve, 1080/60p) but it's for personal (nothing professionally). She has a retina MBP right now (forgot which year, maybe 2015 or 2016?), but those are dual core ULV processors so I think this M93p will still be faster?

edit: TOTALLY forgot about the gpu. This will have an integrated one, I'll have to investigate the MBP...
Sep 2, 2018
424 posts
420 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Haz wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 1:11 am
Must be nice to have the time to do so. I enjoy tinkering but I simply don't have the time. I currently have a Sony Vaio Fit 15 that needs a keyboard and haven't even bothered to order one. With that said, I snagged a used Zenbook 3 Deluxe for $150 and managed to fix that one recently. I finally have a replacement for my Vaio Z1290S from 2010.
Well, time is tight for me as well. I have a T420 that needs the USB/eSATA port replaced, and screen hook repaired. I have a Dell E6420 waiting for it's audio board to be replaced - for over two months. Between work and life, it certainly does get challenging. :)
Sep 25, 2016
88 posts
18 upvotes
Team im having a heck of a time getting my t440p to boot from usb....

I grabbed a win 7 64bit pro iso from the first post google drive link. Created a bootable usb on my mac pro using terminal following this guide https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/203696 (guide is for 10, but i adjusted accordingly) and used my usb drive that has been in FAT, FAT32 and EXFAT formats. tried 3 separate times, and every time i stick the boot disk in and select usb for booting, the computer just brings me right back to the boot menu...... im lost.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18354 posts
1595 upvotes
simko2 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 1:24 pm
Team im having a heck of a time getting my t440p to boot from usb....

I grabbed a win 7 64bit pro iso from the first post google drive link. Created a bootable usb on my mac pro using terminal following this guide https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/203696 (guide is for 10, but i adjusted accordingly) and used my usb drive that has been in FAT, FAT32 and EXFAT formats. tried 3 separate times, and every time i stick the boot disk in and select usb for booting, the computer just brings me right back to the boot menu...... im lost.
When I swapped out the HDD for an SSD in my M73 Tiny, I had to poke around the BIOS a bit to get Windows to install. I think I had to turn on Legacy Boot to get it to work.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Sep 25, 2016
88 posts
18 upvotes
Haz wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 3:26 pm
When I swapped out the HDD for an SSD in my M73 Tiny, I had to poke around the BIOS a bit to get Windows to install. I think I had to turn on Legacy Boot to get it to work.

No dice :( Legacy boot enabled, secure boot disabled, different formats of usb drivce, different iso's tried

sigh