Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bauer Systems] Refurb (&new) Laptops/Desktops/Monitors/SSD/Tablets&Phone/with mini buying guide

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2019 9:06 pm
Oct 27, 2016
407 posts
125 upvotes
GTA
simko2 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 12:26 pm
No dice :( Legacy boot enabled, secure boot disabled, different formats of usb drivce, different iso's tried

sigh
if in BIOS it is set to legacy, you should create your USB via rufus as MBR.

if in BIOS its set to EFI, you should create your USB via rufus as GPT
[removed]
Sep 25, 2016
90 posts
21 upvotes
ryanrudolf wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 4:03 pm
if in BIOS it is set to legacy, you should create your USB via rufus as MBR.

if in BIOS its set to EFI, you should create your USB via rufus as GPT
sadly i THINK rufus is windows only, im currently on a mac
Oct 27, 2016
407 posts
125 upvotes
GTA
simko2 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:49 pm
sadly i THINK rufus is windows only, im currently on a mac
the USB that you created, does it boot on other machines, aside from the t440p?
[removed]
Sep 25, 2016
90 posts
21 upvotes
ryanrudolf wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 10:09 pm
the USB that you created, does it boot on other machines, aside from the t440p?
I actually just tried, and no! It says boot failed!!! Ok, now, I guess i should look at best way to make a bootable win 7 usb while on a mac (or ubuntu). Any advice? Ive tried several guides that i've been pointed to on my reddit thread. I wish i just paid the 30 dollars and had bauer put it on the included hard disk!
Oct 27, 2016
407 posts
125 upvotes
GTA
simko2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 7:31 am
I actually just tried, and no! It says boot failed!!! Ok, now, I guess i should look at best way to make a bootable win 7 usb while on a mac (or ubuntu). Any advice? Ive tried several guides that i've been pointed to on my reddit thread. I wish i just paid the 30 dollars and had bauer put it on the included hard disk!
not the most elegant, but on my Fedora box i installed vmware workstation for my Windows needs. Once you have Windows installed on a VM, you can install rufus and do the ISO-to-USB creation from there.

there's also woeusb for linux, i tried it but it doesnt work for me. i just use rufus on my vmware Windows install. i keep Windows just for it and for TurboTax.
[removed]
Sep 25, 2016
90 posts
21 upvotes
ryanrudolf wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 7:41 am
not the most elegant, but on my Fedora box i installed vmware workstation for my Windows needs. Once you have Windows installed on a VM, you can install rufus and do the ISO-to-USB creation from there.

there's also woeusb for linux, i tried it but it doesnt work for me. i just use rufus on my vmware Windows install. i keep Windows just for it and for TurboTax.
Getting a bit technical, but would love to learn more.... I have ubuntu on a separate computer, perhaps i can run windows as a VM from trhat? I too tried woeusb and winusb and neither worked for me . I think once i get a good usb working I will just keep it locked in a safe place.
Sep 2, 2018
869 posts
825 upvotes
Blainville, QC
simko2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:04 am
Getting a bit technical, but would love to learn more.... I have ubuntu on a separate computer, perhaps i can run windows as a VM from trhat? I too tried woeusb and winusb and neither worked for me . I think once i get a good usb working I will just keep it locked in a safe place.
You can use VirtualBox for Mac and install Windows within that. From within that, you can create your USB drive.

If you want to take one more stab at creating a Windows bootable USB via macOS, try: https://www.wdiaz.org/how-to-create-a-b ... ndows-usb/ (BTW, you can install Win10 and then activate using the W7 key on that T440P).
Sep 25, 2016
90 posts
21 upvotes
sid8tive wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:25 am
You can use VirtualBox for Mac and install Windows within that. From within that, you can create your USB drive.

If you want to take one more stab at creating a Windows bootable USB via macOS, try: https://www.wdiaz.org/how-to-create-a-b ... ndows-usb/ (BTW, you can install Win10 and then activate using the W7 key on that T440P).
I'll definately try again.... did not know that about win10! i thought i would need to install w7 and eventually upgrade to 10, thankyou! If the method you linked didnt work I will likely use virtualbox.
Sep 2, 2018
869 posts
825 upvotes
Blainville, QC
simko2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:46 am
I'll definately try again.... did not know that about win10! i thought i would need to install w7 and eventually upgrade to 10, thankyou! If the method you linked didnt work I will likely use virtualbox.
Yep. No need to waste time in upgrading. Install Win 10 Pro (assuming the W7 is a Pro license) > "Change Product Key" within the activation screen > Activate! :) Works flawlessly. Basically W7 keys for the same edition work (W7P >> W10P, W7H >> W10H, etc.)
Oct 28, 2006
563 posts
271 upvotes
Alberta
Hi Guys
Need your guys expertise
Need to buy a laptop for my friend's kid starting university. She's not a power user, she said touch screen is nice to have...translation must have lol.
Any how I'm guessing 14" or 13" should be good enough. Light weight would be nice but as long as weight is reasonable to be portable it should be ok. We don't need to worry too much about adding/upgrading to SSD. Budget under $400.
Thanks
Sep 2, 2018
869 posts
825 upvotes
Blainville, QC
shinku wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 1:11 pm
Hi Guys
Need your guys expertise
Need to buy a laptop for my friend's kid starting university. She's not a power user, she said touch screen is nice to have...translation must have lol.
Any how I'm guessing 14" or 13" should be good enough. Light weight would be nice but as long as weight is reasonable to be portable it should be ok. We don't need to worry too much about adding/upgrading to SSD. Budget under $400.
Thanks
Row 185:
1 ULTRABOOK REFURB DELL LATITUDE E7250-TOUCH Core i5-5300U 2.3 8 256SSD NA 12 W8P WEBCAM/TOUCH $280 immediate

Best balance of portability (ultrabook, 14"), touch, and SSD for the price. Comes with W8P that can be easily upgraded to W10P for free.
Oct 28, 2006
563 posts
271 upvotes
Alberta
sid8tive wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 1:24 pm
Row 185:
1 ULTRABOOK REFURB DELL LATITUDE E7250-TOUCH Core i5-5300U 2.3 8 256SSD NA 12 W8P WEBCAM/TOUCH $280 immediate

Best balance of portability (ultrabook, 14"), touch, and SSD for the price. Comes with W8P that can be easily upgraded to W10P for free.
Damn already gone. Shows 0 qty and it's in red
Appreciate your suggestion and it is perfect for her. I'll keep an eye out
Sep 2, 2018
869 posts
825 upvotes
Blainville, QC
shinku wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 2:52 pm
Damn already gone. Shows 0 qty and it's in red
Appreciate your suggestion and it is perfect for her. I'll keep an eye out
Damn! I thought that was you, lol. Yes, keep an eye out for similar configs.
Sep 25, 2016
90 posts
21 upvotes
sid8tive wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:25 am

Tried again, still no luck :(
Sep 2, 2018
869 posts
825 upvotes
Blainville, QC
simko2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 7:59 pm
Tried again, still no luck :(
:( A VM would now be your best bet. I always have various Linux/Windows/MacOS VMs provisioned precisely to tackle such corner-cases :)