• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2008 12:00 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 16, 2008
578 posts
180 upvotes

[The Bay] The Bay - Eyeglasses - 60% off frames, 25% off lenses

I've been looking for a new pair of prescription glasses for a while now, and lucked into this deal over the weekend.

At [rfdlink=111]The Bay[/rfdlink] (Eaton Centre), eyeglasses are 60% off frames and 25% off lenses until August 18. Lots of designer frames (Armani, D&G, Calvin Klein).
12 replies
Dec 10, 2003
73 posts
Anyone know how The Bay's lens prices are compared to optical stores?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1002 posts
197 upvotes
Calgary
the bay's glasses are more expensive compare to others
i fell to this trap last year, when i thought i got a deal :evil:
i ended up paying about $500 in total
if anyone consider this deal, be very careful on the lens pricing
that is where they screw ppl
Sep 4, 2006
28 posts
Mississauga, ON
cookedDeals wrote:
Aug 11th, 2008 1:45 pm
I've been looking for a new pair of prescription glasses for a while now, and lucked into this deal over the weekend.

At The Bay (Eaton Centre), eyeglasses are 60% off frames and 25% off lenses until August 18. Lots of designer frames (Armani, D&G, Calvin Klein).
We walked into Laurier Optical this morning in Heartland, and they had shelves full of free frames when purchased with lenses. All brand names. So me and my wife bought one each, both Ralph Lauren by coincidence.
She paid $108 for basic lenses, I paid $200 for bifocal/progressives lens with all coatings (simply because our insurance gives me a $200 coverage). That was all we paid as frames were free!
Dec 30, 2004
253 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
the optical market is very lucrative...the markup for frames is in the hundreds of percent and so if you don't get 50% to 70% of frames and lenses you're really getting taken to the cleaners...

since many people have optical coverage from work, people can 'afford' to pay the $500 for a complete set of glasses but the actual cost for them is much lower...

you can get a complete set of glasses for anywhere from the cheapy $99 deal to $999 if you buy Oakley frames for example (Oakley does not discount they're frames) and the top Essilor lenses (highest index 1.67 and anti-glare and anti-scrach coating)
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1745 posts
675 upvotes
i got a pretty good deal at costco.

armani plastic frames with lenses, ended up being $300.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." :-0
Sep 4, 2006
28 posts
Mississauga, ON
spazzamatic wrote:
Aug 11th, 2008 4:11 pm
i got a pretty good deal at costco.

armani plastic frames with lenses, ended up being $300.
Can you get complete prescription eye glasses with frames (Ralph Lauren, Nike, DKNY, etc) and lens for $108 at Costco? Or any other retailer?

We first went to Costco and Walmart thinking they would be the cheapest. That was not to be, especially if you want good quality branded frames. They were not even close to the deal we got at Laurier!
Jan 8, 2008
428 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Best deal for designer frames with prescription is at clearlycontacts.ca that i've found so far. You can even apply coupon codes to get a further discount
Jul 31, 2008
55 posts
iceprince wrote:
Aug 11th, 2008 5:31 pm
Best deal for designer frames with prescription is at clearlycontacts.ca that i've found so far. You can even apply coupon codes to get a further discount
Is it trustworthy, have you bought from them before because some of their prices are really cheap? Also, do you need prescriptions for them as well?
Jul 31, 2008
55 posts
Asimqa wrote:
Aug 11th, 2008 3:19 pm
We walked into Laurier Optical this morning in Heartland, and they had shelves full of free frames when purchased with lenses. All brand names. So me and my wife bought one each, both Ralph Lauren by coincidence.
She paid $108 for basic lenses, I paid $200 for bifocal/progressives lens with all coatings (simply because our insurance gives me a $200 coverage). That was all we paid as frames were free!
Wondering if they still have that deal going on?
Mar 10, 2008
368 posts
110 upvotes
Quebec City
ktt31 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2008 12:04 am
Is it trustworthy, have you bought from them before because some of their prices are really cheap? Also, do you need prescriptions for them as well?
100% trustworthy. Ordered from them many times already and their products/support is awesome. CoastalContacts and ClearlyContacts are both excellent choices if you're looking for quality. You don't need to scan your prescriptions to place an order.

If you're looking for something even cheaper, you might want to give a look at the big thread about eye glasses online shops. It's huge but it contains an incredible amount of feedback.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... hlight=eye
Banned
Jun 14, 2007
1680 posts
411 upvotes
this my (2) second order with zennioptical.com
fast email reply to conformation of the order
as I ordered some extra frames for my grandfather
Order date: 07-18-2008 10:57:21 PM
Shipment Status: Item Delivered on August 09, 2008
tracking number via email
fast order delivery
my wife love her eyeglasses with Photochromic + Progressive
I'm happy
my wife happy with good price
fast delivery
nice glasses
Total: $258.45 ( 4 pairs of eyeglasses and two frames) - from zennioptical.com
my local Walmart quoted me $900
4189 Full Rim Metal Alloy with Spring Hinge
2209 Plastic Fashion Full-Rim Frame
5834 Bendable (Memory) Titanium Full-Rim Frame with Sunlens
4189 Full Rim Metal Alloy with Spring Hinge.
3728 Rimless Hingeless Pure Titanium Frame.
3779 Rimless Pure Titanium Frame
for outside eyeglases I suggest tint 10% to 50%
for inside only tint 10%
or go for Photochromic - my wife love it
Sep 4, 2006
28 posts
Mississauga, ON
ktt31 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2008 12:08 am
Wondering if they still have that deal going on?
I bought mine only a few days so it is still on. Note that these prices did NOT appear to be special or time limited, but were apparently regular everyday prices.
× < >