None
[OP]
Mar 10, 2011
349 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton

Bay gift card material is strange?

Hello,

I received 2 Bay gift cards for Christmas and one of them is a very strange material.

The first one is black and has the HBC logo and is made from a plastic (traditional gift card material)

The second one is white and has the same HBC logo but is made from a much more thinner paper like material. More bendable than a traditional business card.

Has anyone every seen these new gift cards? Its a bit strange
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1540 posts
291 upvotes
Edmonton
rubberbandman wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 1:17 pm
Hello,

I received 2 Bay gift cards for Christmas and one of them is a very strange material.

The first one is black and has the HBC logo and is made from a plastic (traditional gift card material)

The second one is white and has the same HBC logo but is made from a much more thinner paper like material. More bendable than a traditional business card.

The white gift cards are usually issued for a return at the Bay. They usually use the white ones as a refund card. It shouldn't matter which card you get since both will have the PIN information and you can use for the same types of purchases.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11417 posts
2392 upvotes
Montreal
rubberbandman wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 1:17 pm
As Shoppingguy said, it seems like it's not a standard gift card, but more a card for store credits, it could also be a card that was given out as promotion for other purposes. I often find promotion gift cards to be made of such cheaper thin materials.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3584 posts
2741 upvotes
Toronto
Toys R Us have been using cardboard-like cards for refunds for many years.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2011
349 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton
Strange. I don't think the gift card was issued for a return because the receipt was also included.
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
117 upvotes
Kitchener
My in store credit for home depot is also a paper like card
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1581 posts
95 upvotes
rubberbandman wrote:
Dec 27th, 2013 9:31 pm
Strange. I don't think the gift card was issued for a return because the receipt was also included.
they can use them as a regular gift card or top them up like gift cards but traditionally that is what the thinner ones from the bay are used from. Maybe the closest rack with regular gift cards was empty