• Jul 17th, 2019 12:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1761 posts
1228 upvotes
Richmond Hill

The bay order online and free pickup at store is a joke

So, I use couple order online and free pickup at store before to avoid shipping fees.

Friday my daughter ask me to order a $20 item for her at the bay. I don't want to pay for $9.99 shipping, so I choice pick up at store option, it let me pick the store near me and let me complete the check out. The whole reason I do this is I checked the item is not available at that store, so I thinking they will get it to the store and I go pick up.

Today I got an email told me the order is cancelled because they don't have it at that store.

I don't similar thing with best buy, Walmart, even LCBO, all working fine, they get the item to the store and I pick it up.

So I call the bay, ask them what the heck.

They told.me the Right way to do it is GO TO the store to purchase, and since the item is not available, they will ship it to me free of charge. It only work if I do it at the store, not online.

What kind of atupt process is that.
- 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
- Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
34 replies
Dec 15, 2015
561 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto
cheapshopper wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 11:08 pm
So, I use couple order online and free pickup at store before to avoid shipping fees.

Friday my daughter ask me to order a $20 item for her at the bay. I don't want to pay for $9.99 shipping, so I choice pick up at store option, it let me pick the store near me and let me complete the check out. The whole reason I do this is I checked the item is not available at that store, so I thinking they will get it to the store and I go pick up.

Today I got an email told me the order is cancelled because they don't have it at that store.

I don't similar thing with best buy, Walmart, even LCBO, all working fine, they get the item to the store and I pick it up.

So I call the bay, ask them what the heck.

They told.me the Right way to do it is GO TO the store to purchase, and since the item is not available, they will ship it to me free of charge. It only work if I do it at the store, not online.

What kind of atupt process is that.
Abrupt?

You ordered the item, inventory said they had it, they went to get it, it wasn't there and your order was cancelled. This is normal, they offered you a solution of coming in and they can get you the item shipped to your home for free. Seems reasonable, not sure why people expect retailers to bend over backwards for them.

There's nothing wrong with the process, its called an inventory error and it happens EVERYWHERE. Is this actually your first time getting an order cancelled?

Yes, buy boycott the bay because you need the overpriced garbage today and not 5-7 days from now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1761 posts
1228 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TheMaterial wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 8:41 am
Abrupt?

You ordered the item, inventory said they had it, they went to get it, it wasn't there and your order was cancelled. This is normal, they offered you a solution of coming in and they can get you the item shipped to your home for free. Seems reasonable, not sure why people expect retailers to bend over backwards for them.

There's nothing wrong with the process, its called an inventory error and it happens EVERYWHERE. Is this actually your first time getting an order cancelled?

Yes, buy boycott the bay because you need the overpriced garbage today and not 5-7 days from now.
That's a typo, I was typing garbage, not sure why it come out this way.

In case of Walmart / LCBO, they don't have it at the location, they ship it to the location for me to pickup. It wi be free, instead of cost me shipping to ship it to me.
( I think is like they just fill the stock when it is OOS )
But bay just cancel my order. They do have stock in Warehouse and other locations. I asked, they have tons in Yorkdale.

I don't need it today, is no rush. I just try to avoid driveung long way to Yorkdale, or pay $9.99 for shipping on a $20 item.
Last edited by cheapshopper on Jul 14th, 2019 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
- 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
- Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Aug 5, 2005
283 posts
165 upvotes
TheMaterial wrote:
Abrupt?

What are you talking about? He orders items online to have it delivered to a certain Bay location store so he can pick it up there whenever but the Bay is saying come to the store and they'll have it delivered to his home free of charge, that is stupid, why can't the Bay just delivered the item at the customer request instead of delivering at his home? And to make him actually go to the store rather than customer doing it online is stupid
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Dec 26, 2010
30 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
TheMaterial wrote:
Abrupt?

Can you read? He/she said it wasn't in stock in the store. That is why they did an online order.

Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 14th, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Unnecessary
Dec 15, 2015
561 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto
$n00ker wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 11:09 am
What are you talking about? He orders items online to have it delivered to a certain Bay location store so he can pick it up there whenever but the Bay is saying come to the store and they'll have it delivered to his home free of charge, that is stupid, why can't the Bay just delivered the item at the customer request instead of delivering at his home? And to make him actually go to the store rather than customer doing it online is stupid
Most retail stores won't take a credit card over the phone...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9421 posts
6719 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
In my experience ...

The Bay has two ways one can order online.

# 1 - You find an item you like that The Bay sells online, from the PICK UP IN STORE Option ... this is Infact the INSTORE INVENTORY LIST, and ask to pick up the item from the Instore Customer Service Desk. This is helpful if one lives near a Bay.

# 2 - You find an item you like that The Bay sells online, and you Order it shipped to your home.
In this scenario, The Bay as a whole looks thru all their inventory to locate the item and get it to you.
The Bay is using the No Warehouse Method ... for stock inventory these days ... like many other retailers (ie Marks does similar)
So not unusual to find your items coming to you from ANY BAY STORE in Canada.
We have received items here in Eastern Ontario from as far away as The Bay in Banff.
I suppose ... it was a popular item ... that was selling out left right and centre ... and this was one of the last places to have it .. one of the company’s smallest, far flung stores.

So, as noted by some other RFDers...
This all happened to the OP cuz there was a mistake in his using Option # 1... caused by the Instore Inventory not being up to date
Happens occasionally.

Option # 1 offers FREE SHIPPING (cuz nothing is shipped anywhere)

Option # 2 ... requires a charge for shipping ... unless one meets the MINIMUM ORDER Amounts. This is pretty standard for ordering online in Canada

In this instance, cuz the item didn’t really exist under Option # 1
The store cancelled the order & apologized, and said if the Customer came into the store... and filled out a Store to Store Transfer Order (kind of like Option # 2 ... but not the same name) ... they’d waive any shipping charges to get the item to his home (again like Option # 2)

In reality ... if the order had gone as originally planned
The OP would have had to go into the store to pick up the item
Now he’s just making that “same” ONE trip to the store to do the paperwork instead
He’ll still get his item ... but it will be shipped to his home instead
With NO SHIPPING CHARGES ... AS A COURTESY
So he won’t be making any extra trips of inconvenience

I don’t see the problem here

What I do see...
Is that the OP doesn’t really understand how The Bay’s online ordering works

Option # 1 is nice ...
But it’s hardly the norm for everything one might want to buy from The Bay
Fairly often I get the message immediately...
Item not available at the store you have chosen
If you wish to continue ... use Option # 2 - Ship to Home
(I am paraphrasing here)

Fact is they have 1000s and 1000s of items they sell
Not every store stocks every size or colour
A sampling is sent instead to each store
If a store runs out of an item
They can get it from another store for the Customer
Thru a Store to Store Transfer
Very common if one is an Instore Shopper

If then the Customer would prefer it sent to their home... there is a charge for that
IF it’s cuz of an error on behalf of the store, then there is paperwork to fill out
So the Customer isn’t charged that shipping fee
That was all the Store was asking the OP to do
Come fill out the form that states the store made an error
(Probably by showing his cancelled order)
And where he wanted the item shipped to

Like I said, the issue here is that the OP doesn’t understand how The Bay works

BTW, I have had similar experiences at Marks as well
Item I wanted ... not in stock at my local store while shopping there
(Needed a different size)
I filled out a form ... and they shipped what I wanted direct to my home ... FREE OF CHARGE
I thought that instance ... was quite classy
I am thinking ... perhaps the OP would think the same too
If this was what happened to him
Except it sounds to me ... as if he has a preexisting grudge with The Bay to begin with
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jul 14th, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 15, 2015
561 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto
aero_gb wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 11:50 am
Can you read? He/she said it wasn't in stock in the store. That is why they did an online order.

No, you can tell who's never worked retail....

Maybe the in-store system is able to order inventory from a further reach than the website can....It's seems similar to bestbuys system and when something is out of stock online you could go in store and employee could have it ordered from a different warehouse or have it dropped shipped from another store if the item was big enough.

OP makes an online order, order gets cancelled, calls store, has stock, needs to make forum post about it? Go pick-up the item and move on. Unless they kept your money, scammed you or did something to actually wrong what's the point of coming here to post about. *
Dec 26, 2010
30 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
TheMaterial wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 1:05 pm
No, you can tell who's never worked retail....

Maybe the in-store system is able to order inventory from a further reach than the website can....It's seems similar to bestbuys system and when something is out of stock online you could go in store and employee could have it ordered from a different warehouse or have it dropped shipped from another store if the item was big enough.

OP makes an online order, order gets cancelled, calls store, has stock, needs to make forum post about it? Go pick-up the item and move on. Unless they kept your money, scammed you or did something to actually wrong what's the point of coming here to post about. *

And you're overcomplicating the situation. If that store doesn't have inventory and allows you to place an order for in store pickup (which then needs to be cancelled.) Then that system is trash. Stop trying to defend it.

The bay should fix the system and offer free delivery (over the phone) for the inconvenience.

However, the bay is a garbage Canadian retailer that loves to piss off customers. *
Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 14th, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rude
Aug 5, 2005
283 posts
165 upvotes
Seem pretty stupid if you ask me. If one tries to buy an item online and afterward they say they don't have the item in stock in the warehouse but yet some actual retail stores do I can't see why the Bay online can't get the store that has it transferred to the store the customer requested. It's all the same company here whether it's coming from the warehouse or actual store, who cares
Dec 26, 2010
30 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
$n00ker wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 1:55 pm
Seem pretty stupid if you ask me. If one tries to buy an item online and afterward they say they don't have the item in stock in the warehouse but yet some actual retail stores do I can't see why the Bay online can't get the store that has it transferred to the store the customer requested.
Exactly! But this theMaterial bay shill doesn't seem to care about customer service.

He/she is only focused on explaining how their trash system works.
Aug 5, 2005
283 posts
165 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 12:46 pm
In my experience ...

The Bay has two ways one can order online.

# 1 - You find an item you like that The Bay sells online, from the PICK UP IN STORE Option ... this is Infact the INSTORE INVENTORY LIST, and ask to pick up the item from the Instore Customer Service Desk. This is helpful if one lives near a Bay.

# 2 - You find an item you like that The Bay sells online, and you Order it shipped to your home.
In this scenario, The Bay as a whole looks thru all their inventory to locate the item and get it to you.
The Bay is using the No Warehouse Method ... for stock inventory these days ... like many other retailers (ie Marks does similar)
So not unusual to find your items coming to you from ANY BAY STORE in Canada.
We have received items here in Eastern Ontario from as far away as The Bay in Banff.
I suppose ... it was a popular item ... that was selling out left right and centre ... and this was one of the last places to have it .. one of the company’s smallest, far flung stores.

So, as noted by some other RFDers...
This all happened to the OP cuz there was a mistake in his using Option # 1... caused by the Instore Inventory not being up to date
Happens occasionally.

Option # 1 offers FREE SHIPPING (cuz nothing is shipped anywhere)

Option # 2 ... requires a charge for shipping ... unless one meets the MINIMUM ORDER Amounts. This is pretty standard for ordering online in Canada

In this instance, cuz the item didn’t really exist under Option # 1
The store cancelled the order & apologized, and said if the Customer came into the store... and filled out a Store to Store Transfer Order (kind of like Option # 2 ... but not the same name) ... they’d waive any shipping charges to get the item to his home (again like Option # 2)

In reality ... if the order had gone as originally planned
The OP would have had to go into the store to pick up the item
Now he’s just making that “same” ONE trip to the store to do the paperwork instead
He’ll still get his item ... but it will be shipped to his home instead
With NO SHIPPING CHARGES ... AS A COURTESY
So he won’t be making any extra trips of inconvenience

I don’t see the problem here

What I do see...
Is that the OP doesn’t really understand how The Bay’s online ordering works

Option # 1 is nice ...
But it’s hardly the norm for everything one might want to buy from The Bay
Fairly often I get the message immediately...
Item not available at the store you have chosen
If you wish to continue ... use Option # 2 - Ship to Home
(I am paraphrasing here)

Fact is they have 1000s and 1000s of items they sell
Not every store stocks every size or colour
A sampling is sent instead to each store
If a store runs out of an item
They can get it from another store for the Customer
Thru a Store to Store Transfer
Very common if one is an Instore Shopper

If then the Customer would prefer it sent to their home... there is a charge for that
IF it’s cuz of an error on behalf of the store, then there is paperwork to fill out
So the Customer isn’t charged that shipping fee
That was all the Store was asking the OP to do
Come fill out the form that states the store made an error
(Probably by showing his cancelled order)
And where he wanted the item shipped to

Like I said, the issue here is that the OP doesn’t understand how The Bay works

BTW, I have had similar experiences at Marks as well
Item I wanted ... not in stock at my local store while shopping there
(Needed a different size)
I filled out a form ... and they shipped what I wanted direct to my home ... FREE OF CHARGE
I thought that instance ... was quite classy
I am thinking ... perhaps the OP would think the same too
If this was what happened to him
Except it sounds to me ... as if he has a preexisting grudge with The Bay to begin with
So you're saying if the online department doesn't have an item in their warehouse but yet the actual retail does that person should go to an actual retail store make a payment order and explain to them that their online department didn't have the item in stock so were by the retail store will shipped the item to his address free of charges because of the ordeal with the online purchase? what if the purchaser doesn't want it delivered to his address, maybe he wouldn't be home when the item gets delivered and maybe he lives in an area with high delivery mail theft... Seems to pretty stupid, why not give what the customer wants, SIMPLE :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8535 posts
4767 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I've worked for HBC and you give them too much credit. Their inventory system is a joke. Their logistics is a joke. I wouldn't expect them to do anything that makes common sense because they don't have any to begin with.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8784 posts
2186 upvotes
London
TheMaterial wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 1:05 pm
what's the point of coming here to post about. *
Sure sounds to me like the OP had a shopping related problem, and he posted it in the shopping discussion area. Maybe someone will pay attention?

If B&M want to compete in the future, they better figure out how to move their inventory to make sales. and make it seamless and easy for the customer. For every person like the OP that posts about a problem, there are 10 more than just give up and order it from Amazon when they get churned through a process like this. The Bay had a golden opportunity *
Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 14th, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Quote was edited