• Jul 17th, 2019 12:49 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9425 posts
6720 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
$n00ker wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 2:27 pm
So you're saying if the online department doesn't have an item in their warehouse but yet the actual retail does that person should go to an actual retail store make a payment order and explain to them that their online department didn't have the item in stock so were by the retail store will shipped the item to his address free of charges because of the ordeal with the online purchase? what if the purchaser doesn't want it delivered to his address, maybe he wouldn't be home when the item gets delivered and maybe he lives in an area with high delivery mail theft... Seems to pretty stupid, why not give what the customer wants, SIMPLE :rolleyes:
Did not say that at all.
Did you even read ?

The Bay no longer has warehouses ... like they did in the past.
If you order online NOT using the pick up at my local store option
The goods will be sent to your home / mailing address
From whichever store has stock, that is nearest to you
That is the DEFAULT SETTING

Because if the item isn’t in stock at your closest store
It’s actually FASTER to receive it at your delivery address than it as at the store
Cuz store deliveries are grouped together ... on one load with other merchandise destined for the store
So deliveries don’t happen every day
(Where FedEx Offers go from whichever Store has Stock to whomever ordered on a daily basis)

As I said in my first post
The Bay is not alone in this way of managing their online orders

Chapters / Indigo also operates this way
Order with paid shipping ... and order goes out immediately from wherever stock is
Order with free shipping to store ... and order can take a week or longer, cuz items are grouped to go to the store with a larger truck load

As I said, PART OF the problem lies with the OP not understanding how online delivery work with the website he’s using
(be it The Bay - Marks - Indigo etc)
The other issue, though I agree was The Bays Store Inventory not being in real time when he placed the order

Plus yes... online ordering at The Bay is a whole other separate entity vs the stores
(No doubt harkens back to how Catalogue Shopping was separate from the stores)

By going into the store... where he would have been picking up the order from ... had it been in stock there
They’ll set up the paperwork so the item makes the transition from Online Shopping Inventory
To Instore Inventory
Then it’s up to him if he wants the item to be delivered to the store or his home address
I am confident, that he can have it either way with FREE SHIPPING
But ... the new paperwork has to be done ... at his local store .. as this is an order exception

Otherwise, if he just wants the item
Sent to his home ... he can always just go back to The Bay Online Ordering DEFAULT
Which is SHIP TO HOME ... and pay the Shipping Fees if they apply
(Depends on how much the order comes to)

Used to be ...
One could order from any store by telephone
But cause of all the scammers
That doesn’t happen anymore either

So hes got to go to the store in person to fix this to work as an EXCEPTION
Or just go with the regular ... SHIP TO HOME type of order
Aug 5, 2005
285 posts
166 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 4:15 pm
Did not say that at all.
Did you even read ?

The Bay no longer has warehouses ... like they did in the past.
If you order online NOT using the pick up at my local store option
The goods will be sent to your home / mailing address
From whichever store has stock, that is nearest to you
That is the DEFAULT SETTING

Because if the item isn’t in stock at your closest store
It’s actually FASTER to receive it at your delivery address than it as at the store
Cuz store deliveries are grouped together ... on one load with other merchandise destined for the store
So deliveries don’t happen every day
(Where FedEx Offers go from whichever Store has Stock to whomever ordered on a daily basis)

As I said in my first post
The Bay is not alone in this way of managing their online orders

Chapters / Indigo also operates this way
Order with paid shipping ... and order goes out immediately from wherever stock is
Order with free shipping to store ... and order can take a week or longer, cuz items are grouped to go to the store with a larger truck load

As I said, PART OF the problem lies with the OP not understanding how online delivery work with the website he’s using
(be it The Bay - Marks - Indigo etc)
The other issue, though I agree was The Bays Store Inventory not being in real time when he placed the order

Plus yes... online ordering at The Bay is a whole other separate entity vs the stores
(No doubt harkens back to how Catalogue Shopping was separate from the stores)

By going into the store... where he would have been picking up the order from ... had it been in stock there
They’ll set up the paperwork so the item makes the transition from Online Shopping Inventory
To Instore Inventory
Then it’s up to him if he wants the item to be delivered to the store or his home address
I am confident, that he can have it either way with FREE SHIPPING
But ... the new paperwork has to be done ... at his local store .. as this is an order exception

Otherwise, if he just wants the item
Sent to his home ... he can always just go back to The Bay Online Ordering DEFAULT
Which is SHIP TO HOME ... and pay the Shipping Fees if they apply
(Depends on how much the order comes to)

Used to be ...
One could order from any store by telephone
But cause of all the scammers
That doesn’t happen anymore either

So hes got to go to the store in person to fix this to work as an EXCEPTION
Or just go with the regular ... SHIP TO HOME type of order
First off who cares about all that blah, blah, blah what the Bay thinks. Are you trying to tell me the Bay online department and all the Bay retail stores on this planet can't give this customer an item at a store that he would like to pick it up at? Where did he say anything about how long it would take, in fact, he even did says he doesn't care how long it takes for the item to get there. He wants the item at a certain store PERIOD .... Don't make something so simple as being difficult and just give the customer what he wants, end of story
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Dec 26, 2010
32 posts
40 upvotes
Ottawa
$n00ker wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 4:55 pm
First off who cares about all that blah, blah, blah what the Bay thinks. Are you trying to tell me the Bay online department and all the Bay retail stores on this plant can't give this customer an item at a store that he would like to pick it up at? Where did he say anything about how long it would take, in fact, he even did says he doesn't care how long it takes for the item to get there. He wants the item at a certain store PERIOD .... Don't make something so simple as being difficult and just give the customer what he wants, end of story

I don't know why these people are trying to explain the Bay's trash ordering system. They seem to work in retail and are completely disconnected from how the customer is viewing the situation.

The points that matters are the following;

1. Customer placed an order online and chose in store pick up to avoid shipping charges. The option was available so he used it.
2. The bay's system is trash, so apparently the store didn't have the item in stock and could not fulfill the order.
3. Instead of trying to correct the situation and find an alternate method to fulfill the order. The bay just cancels the order with an email.
4. Customer then calls to inquire what is going on. Instead of providing good customer service like apologizing for the inconvenience and say giving a promo code to waive shipping charges on his next online purchase. The CSR tells the guy to go to the store to order the item to his residence...

That is just a bad online ordering system and customer service.

Furthermore, the customer shouldn't need to know how the bay does logistics before placing an order. Why would he want to accommodate the bays trash system.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9425 posts
6720 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
$n00ker wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 4:55 pm
First off who cares about all that blah, blah, blah what the Bay thinks.

Are you trying to tell me the Bay online department and all the Bay retail stores on this planet can't give this customer an item at a store that he would like to pick it up at?

Where did he say anything about how long it would take, in fact, he even did says he doesn't care how long it takes for the item to get there. He wants the item at a certain store PERIOD .... Don't make something so simple as being difficult and just give the customer what he wants, end of story
They can ...

But only if it’s currently ... in stock at said store.

Otherwise it’s a case of the Customer having to go into the store to order / buy the item... sent to store.

I never said any of it made any sense... just that THAT is indeed the way things work at The Bay

As I stated probably a hangover from the old Catalogue Days when the Stores & Catalogue Shopping were two separate things.

Also read my Reply # 24 below to @aero_gb
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jul 14th, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4688 posts
3848 upvotes
aero_gb wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 5:08 pm
I don't know why these people are trying to explain the Bay's trash ordering system. They seem to work in retail and are completely disconnected from how the customer is viewing the situation.

1. Customer placed an order online and chose in store pick up to avoid shipping charges. The option was available so he used it.
2. The bay's system is trash, so apparently the store didn't have the item in stock and could not fulfill the order.
3. Instead of trying to correct the situation and find an alternate method to fulfill the order. The bay just cancels the order with an email.
4. Customer then calls to inquire what is going on. Instead of providing good customer service like apologizing for the inconvenience and say giving a promo code to waive shipping charges on his next online purchase. The CSR tells the guy to go to the store to order the item to his residence...

Furthermore, the customer shouldn't need to know how the bay does logistics before placing an order. Why would he want to accommodate the bays trash system.
Who cares? If you don't like their system/service don't order from them.

Same reason I don't shop at Canadian Tire and The Brick.
Aug 5, 2005
285 posts
166 upvotes
aero_gb wrote:

That the problem with certain places. I shop online to get my stuff either delivered to my place or in cases like OP have it delivered to a store were by there no delivered charges, ( Smart ) I do likewise. Now, if a store can't honor my request and tells me a bunch of bs politics then the whole online shopping process at this particular store goes out the door and can't be trusted as a reliable outlet. And I'll just take my business where it can be.
Dec 26, 2010
32 posts
40 upvotes
Ottawa
superfresh89 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 5:29 pm
Who cares? If you don't like their system/service don't order from them.

Same reason I don't shop at Canadian Tire and The Brick.

And where did I say I ordered from them? The OP did and I'm just taking his side.
Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 14th, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Chill
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9425 posts
6720 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
aero_gb wrote:

First off don’t work in retail.

All i have done in this topic is EXPLAIN how online shopping works at The Bay

NEVER SAID it was ideal, or correct.

Just stated the facts for how it is (see my Reply # 20 above to $n00ker )

I agree with all the points you have made.... # 1, # 2, # 3 and # 4

But it what it is ... in this is exactly how The Bays online ordering system works

As I see it, the OP has two choices ... as does any Customer in any situation

Operate within the parameters presented to them by the Retailer
Or don’t do business with the Retailer

It’s not a case of the Customer is always right
Or the Retailer is always wrong

It’s just the way things are

Do biz with the way things are
Or don’t ...
Jun 23, 2017
627 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cheapshopper wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 11:08 pm
Today I got an email told me the order is cancelled because they don't have it at that store.
WTF? I thought they would accept your online order then use their daily or twice-daily inter-office courier to move the item from a distribution centre or other branch to the store you want to pick up from (if the store you selected were out-of-stock at the time of your order) then call you to come in to pick it up.
That's not how it works??
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9425 posts
6720 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
905P4N6 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 5:40 pm
WTF? I thought they would accept your online order then use their daily or twice-daily inter-office courier to move the item from a distribution centre or other branch to the store you want to pick up from (if the store you selected were out-of-stock at the time of your order) then call you to come in to pick it up.
Nope...
Not at The Bay

You can read my other posts here for the low down / explanation

System is definitely flawed

And by all accounts appears to be a bad hangover from Catalogue Shopping Days
With 2 separate entities

Now to be fair...

In all honesty, personally i’ve had more success than failures with The Bays online shopping
So I remain still a customer

But ya if eventually, it becomes too much of a PITA then I won’t shop there anymore either
Aug 5, 2005
285 posts
166 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 5:46 pm
But ya if eventually, it becomes too much of a PITA then I won’t shop there anymore either
That's the whole point dude, people don't care about a store outlet politics. People just want to get whatever whenever and if you as an outlet can't then people will shop elsewhere to get their shopping done. Personally, I haven't shopped at the Bay in years. Amazon does it all most of the time and I get whatever whenever usually within 2 days. If the Bay is really that terrible then they wouldn't survive in today ages and they'll have themselves to blame for it.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2217 posts
1845 upvotes
Oakville, ON
There inventory management online is horrible... ordered the same thing twice... size still showing up after I ordered it .. yet they don’t have it... ok so I order over the phone “it’s in stock” yup yet again cancelled the same item twice... two gift cards credits sent to me.. waste of time and shipping
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1761 posts
1228 upvotes
Richmond Hill
905P4N6 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 5:40 pm
This is how it works for Walmart and LCBO.
Their wording also seem like this is the way it works, but it is not.
- 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
- Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4688 posts
3848 upvotes
Why don't you just order >$99 for free shipping and then just return the items you don't want? Returns are super easy and they don't ask questions.

Or wait for a free shipping Friday event.

I've had nothing but great experiences with online orders at The Bay. Never tried in-store pickup.
Mar 20, 2011
182 posts
122 upvotes
Langley, BC
I had a similar experience last year. I was at one bay store, and they were sold out of the item I wanted, however the computer showed a lot of them in stock at another store. So they just created an order for me right there at the counter to buy and pick up the item at that store - it was a pretty painful process with them typing out all my details, but they created the order without any issue.

An hour or so later I get an email informing me the other bay store cancelled the order with the same reason as the OP, out of stock - "In processing your order, we realized that we were unfortunately out of stock of the item(s) listed below. As such, we were obliged to cancel the shipment of these item(s)."

I go to the other bay store anyway and find the item within 5 minutes of entering the store. So yeah, pretty terrible system.