Shopping Discussion

THE BAY return policy = bad

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2011 4:15 am
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
151 posts

THE BAY return policy = bad

I have been a long time Bay shopper and never had a problem with them until now.

I purchased a Keurig coffee maker for my DHs birthday. He tried it and didn't like it at all. I thought, no problem, that's why I purchased it at the Bay.

I was under the assumption that they had a 'if you're not satisfied for whatever reason' return policy. I had purchaed it well ahead of this b-day because it was on sale, so it was past the 30 days, but not 60 yet. I figured they would refund me on a gift card, which would have been fine.

I was shocked when they told me that I could not return it because it had been used. They said even if there was something wrong with it, I still would not be able to return it...would have to deal with Keurig (manufacturer) directly. Wha??? ...since when?

How are you supposed to know if you're satisfied with a coffee maker unless you use it? If it had been a pan, or shirt, where you can't tell if it's been used, I would have gotten my refund. With things like coffee makers, toasters etc, I guess you're screwed if you buy it at the Bay now.

They should tell you when you purchase these types of items, that you're SOL if you try it, don't like it and want to return it. That way when you get home you can stare at the box before deciding if you want it or not. What's worse to me though, is that if there had been something wrong with it, I still wouldn't get a refund. I would have had to deal with the manufacturer directly.

I had a toaster oven that started acting up after about 6 months, that I had purchased at Sears. They were more than happy to give me a full refund or exchange, no questions asked.

I guess I'll be buying all my small appliances at Sears or Costco from now on.

When did the Bay sink so low?
105 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1277 posts
38 upvotes
Langley
Returning or Exchanging Items

Your original receipt must accompany your returned item(s) to process your refund. All returned items must be in their original state, with all tickets attached and deemed by the Bay to be unworn / undamaged before they can be accepted for a refund.

Merchandise can be returned up to

* 90-days if purchased with an Hbc Credit Card or Hbc MasterCard.

* 60-days for furniture, mattresses, major appliances and Patio Furniture

* 30-days for Home Electronics.

Stores are not obliged to return items just because someone does not like the product. The Bay does have a return policy and I have posted the relevant part above. It clearly states that they will not return an item that has been used since that item would no longer be in the original condition. If they were to return it what would they do with it? They could not return it to the manufacture since there is no issue with it and I know I would not buy an open item that had anything to do with food preparation.

Before you buy something it is your responsibility to make sure you know and agree with the company policies since they are posted in various different places.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1028 posts
126 upvotes
Hunter316 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2011 2:47 pm
Returning or Exchanging Items

Your original receipt must accompany your returned item(s) to process your refund. All returned items must be in their original state, with all tickets attached and deemed by the Bay to be unworn / undamaged before they can be accepted for a refund.

Merchandise can be returned up to

* 90-days if purchased with an Hbc Credit Card or Hbc MasterCard.

* 60-days for furniture, mattresses, major appliances and Patio Furniture

* 30-days for Home Electronics.

Stores are not obliged to return items just because someone does not like the product. The Bay does have a return policy and I have posted the relevant part above. It clearly states that they will not return an item that has been used since that item would no longer be in the original condition. If they were to return it what would they do with it? They could not return it to the manufacture since there is no issue with it and I know I would not buy an open item that had anything to do with food preparation.

Before you buy something it is your responsibility to make sure you know and agree with the company policies since they are posted in various different places.

+1
Yes there are some companies that have a very liberal return policy but it's up to the consumer to check before you by. Bad mouthing the Bay because you aren't happy with their policy and didn't read it in the first place is wrong.
Next time you go to by something, find out what the return policy is.
I never by something from a store that only allows for store credit upon return by that's just me.
Alex
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
151 posts
I understand what you're saying. I have returned things to The Bay over the years and never had this problem before is what I'm saying.

I bought an expensive frying pan from them and after I got home noticed that it had a scratch on it. I returned it with no problems. I didn't scratch it, but how do they know that?

I'm just saying that for some things, you can return it if you decide you don't like it because they can't tell if you've used it. Others like a coffee machine, or toaster can't be returned because you can tell. The bottom line is that some used things are returnable and others aren't because the use can be hidden.

If you google, you can see that The Bay used to have a no questions asked return policy...people returning things even after years of obvious use. They have obviously changed that policy and it is my own fault for assuming they still had the same policy they used to.

You asked, if you were to return it, what would they do with it? I don't know, maybe the same thing they used to do with returned used goods, when they had a 'satisfaction guaranteed' policy.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
151 posts
sherman51 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2011 3:01 pm
+1
Yes there are some companies that have a very liberal return policy but it's up to the consumer to check before you by. Bad mouthing the Bay because you aren't happy with their policy and didn't read it in the first place is wrong.
Next time you go to by something, find out what the return policy is.
I never by something from a store that only allows for store credit upon return by that's just me.
Yes, and The Bay used to be one of them. As I said, I have never had problems returning things to the Bay previously, used or not.

My opinion on The Bay's return policy does not equal bad mouthing them. My opinion is that their return policy is not good.

It's my own fault for assuming it was the same as before, I admit that, but I'm allowed to have an opinion on their new policy.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7060 posts
920 upvotes
the irony here is, it was people like the op that thought they could use then return items at will that has caused the policy change.

Its not like there is inherently wrong with Keurigs or hard to know what they are all about, millions of satisfied customers

I don't think you'll find sears any more receptive to returns like that anymore
Canadian Code of Advertising Standards http://tinyurl.com/48ercz5 Submit advertising complaints http://tinyurl.com/5uxezyk
Deceptive Marketing Practices Under the Competition Act http://tinyurl.com/4coy4qd

There is NO HST on "Free item" or the free part of a "Buy 1 get 1" manufacturer coupon http://tinyurl.com/4ys45jg
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5255 posts
120 upvotes
Nepean
frombc wrote:
Jun 20th, 2011 2:20 pm
I have been a long time Bay shopper and never had a problem with them until now.

I purchased a Keurig coffee maker for my DHs birthday. He tried it and didn't like it at all. I thought, no problem, that's why I purchased it at the Bay.

I was under the assumption that they had a 'if you're not satisfied for whatever reason' return policy. I had purchaed it well ahead of this b-day because it was on sale, so it was past the 30 days, but not 60 yet. I figured they would refund me on a gift card, which would have been fine.

I was shocked when they told me that I could not return it because it had been used. They said even if there was something wrong with it, I still would not be able to return it...would have to deal with Keurig (manufacturer) directly. Wha??? ...since when?

How are you supposed to know if you're satisfied with a coffee maker unless you use it? If it had been a pan, or shirt, where you can't tell if it's been used, I would have gotten my refund. With things like coffee makers, toasters etc, I guess you're screwed if you buy it at the Bay now.

They should tell you when you purchase these types of items, that you're SOL if you try it, don't like it and want to return it. That way when you get home you can stare at the box before deciding if you want it or not. What's worse to me though, is that if there had been something wrong with it, I still wouldn't get a refund. I would have had to deal with the manufacturer directly.

I had a toaster oven that started acting up after about 6 months, that I had purchased at Sears. They were more than happy to give me a full refund or exchange, no questions asked.

I guess I'll be buying all my small appliances at Sears or Costco from now on.

When did the Bay sink so low?

This is not a problem with the bay.
North America as a whole has this issue of returning things with the mindset of just trying things at the cost of others.

Its great they have these policies in place for people in case if the products are broken, dysfunctional, or problematic, but not because "I didn't like it".
Unrelated, but I wonder why the divorce rates are so high.
heatware available upon request
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
151 posts
zoro69 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2011 3:31 pm
the irony here is, it was people like the op that thought they could use then return items at will that has caused the policy change.

Its not like there is inherently wrong with Keurigs or hard to know what they are all about, millions of satisfied customers

I don't think you'll find sears any more receptive to returns like that anymore

Where on earth did you get the idea that I've returned things at will? The only things I've ever returned over the years have been defective (the toaster oven) or like the pan...had a scratch on it. I've also returned shoes, which they told me I could if I didn't like the way they feel, as long as you didn't wear them outside.

I've never returned anything just because. This was the first time this has happened, and it was because I bought it for a gift for someone else. They tried it and didn't like it. I don't drink coffee and I felt bad that my DH hates the thing after trying it. I wanted to get him something else to replace it, simple as that. I wasn't trying to take advantage of The Bay...just trying to get my DH a gift he would like. I assumed they had a 'satisfaction guaranteed' policy. I was wrong and that is my fault.

She told me even if it was defective I couldn't return it. That is why I think their return policy is bad, not because you can't return just because you don't like it.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
151 posts
I guess we have to think really carefully before we try anything after we purchase.

I do find this whole thing of returning because you 'don't like it' rather confusing though. If I had bought him a lawn mower or an electric razor, I guess if he didn't like those, after trying them, we can't return those either.

What if the lawn mower or razor weren't defective per se, but they didn't cut well (pulled clumps of grass out, rather than cut it), or hurt your face because the blades pulled the hair rather than cut it and gave you a rash.

This has more to do with quality rather than being defective. The coffee machine made bad coffee in his opinion, not a defect, but useless to him because he hated the coffee. No different than trying out many things that we buy, only to find that the quality is poor or they do a bad job.

Do you understand what I'm getting at? How do we know if we're satisfied with something unless we try it? Should all things be excluded from returns after they're used?

Wouldn't you perhaps be singing a different tune if you bought something for $500., tried it and it was a piece of crap...not defective, just not satisfactory to you?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2493 posts
83 upvotes
try another location?

I would deny you based on the fact that it's over 30 days, if their policy does state, no returns/exchanges beyond 30 days.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6119 posts
979 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
frombc wrote:
Jun 20th, 2011 4:54 pm
I guess we have to think really carefully before we try anything after we purchase.

I do find this whole thing of returning because you 'don't like it' rather confusing though. If I had bought him a lawn mower or an electric razor, I guess if he didn't like those, after trying them, we can't return those either.

What if the lawn mower or razor weren't defective per se, but they didn't cut well (pulled clumps of grass out, rather than cut it), or hurt your face because the blades pulled the hair rather than cut it and gave you a rash.

This has more to do with quality rather than being defective. The coffee machine made bad coffee in his opinion, not a defect, but useless to him because he hated the coffee. No different than trying out many things that we buy, only to find that the quality is poor or they do a bad job.

Do you understand what I'm getting at? How do we know if we're satisfied with something unless we try it? Should all things be excluded from returns after they're used?

Wouldn't you perhaps be singing a different tune if you bought something for $500., tried it and it was a piece of crap...not defective, just not satisfactory to you?

In a way that is besides the point.. there are places with better return policies. I say vote with your wallet, and dont shop at the bay anymore. Old dinosaur stores with poor policies will drive all their customers away in the end, if they cant adapt.

PS I am deleting the duplicate thread.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2493 posts
83 upvotes
I noticed in your other thread you have made, you have your answer(s). sorry they weren't the ones you were looking for.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
151 posts
EmperorOfCanada wrote:
Jun 20th, 2011 5:06 pm
In a way that is besides the point.. there are places with better return policies. I say vote with your wallet, and dont shop at the bay anymore. Old dinosaur stores with poor policies will drive all their customers away in the end, if they cant adapt.

PS I am deleting the duplicate thread.
Yes, you're right, I will purchase where they let you try it and still return if it's not satisfactory. I actually almost bought it at London Drugs. I asked a bunch of questions and she answered as best she could. She went on to say, even if he doesn't like it after trying it, I could always bring it back.

I chose not to buy there because LD return policy is only 15 days. His b-day was past the 15 days, so I chose the Bay instead, thinking they still had a 'satisfaction guaranteed policy'. Now I know and will vote with my wallet. Costco is another one that lets you return things after trying them. I've never had to, but it's comforting to know that if you buy a $500. vacuum and it doesn't clean well, you can always return it.

Thank you for deleting the duplicate thread. The forums have been acting up and I didn't see my post, so I thought it didn't go through, so I posted again.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7060 posts
920 upvotes
Question, would you buy one at full price that someone else had taken home, USED, and returned? Would you even buy one at a discount in that case? If you owned a store would you want to take a loss when people used stuff and returned it?

If its just the taste of the coffee, the cups come in a lot of varieties, surely everyone that drinks coffee would find one to their liking. I think its pretty universal belief that the machines are high quality, that being the reason people will pay 100s of % more per cut then a jar of nescafe instant

Id assume london drugs has the same policy as online "Products being returned for a refund must be received in their original purchase condition and in their original packaging. This includes all accessories, warranty cards and manuals."

Im not sure that would include a used coffee maker
Canadian Code of Advertising Standards http://tinyurl.com/48ercz5 Submit advertising complaints http://tinyurl.com/5uxezyk
Deceptive Marketing Practices Under the Competition Act http://tinyurl.com/4coy4qd

There is NO HST on "Free item" or the free part of a "Buy 1 get 1" manufacturer coupon http://tinyurl.com/4ys45jg
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
151 posts
zoro69 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2011 5:38 pm
Question, would you buy one at full price that someone else had taken home, USED, and returned? Would you even buy one at a discount in that case? If you owned a store would you want to take a loss when people used stuff and returned it?

If its just the taste of the coffee, the cups come in a lot of varieties, surely everyone that drinks coffee would find one to their liking. I think its pretty universal belief that the machines are high quality, that being the reason people will pay 100s of % more per cut then a jar of nescafe instant

Id assume london drugs has the same policy as online "Products being returned for a refund must be received in their original purchase condition and in their original packaging. This includes all accessories, warranty cards and manuals."

Im not sure that would include a used coffee maker
Some stores do have policies that allow you to return something even if it's been used. The woman at LD made it clear to me that I could buy it and try it out. If he didn't like it I could return it. I've returned face creams to LD when I've broken out from them. That's not a defect in the product, but it's unusable to me because I had a reaction to it.

Costco also has the same type of policy. If you don't like it for any reason, you can bring it back. There is no reason to shop at place like the Bay that won't take something back...there are plenty that will...just to keep your business.

I don't advocate buying willy nilly without any thought, but I do want to be able to return something if the quality is bad, or if it doesn't work as promised, not just because it's broken
× < >