[Games] BB, FS: PlayStation 24" 3D LED Display Bundle $99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2013 9:43 am
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
2653 posts
188 upvotes
[Connected to a computer]

Regular text, images, and other pieces of text in image form look sharp, but this piece of text in image form that you posted is really fuzzy. I'm guessing it's the colour combination of the red against the grey. You can make this red text sharp, you just have to turn sharpness up to 15, but then everything else looks terrible.

Viewing angle on this display is awful, but whites are really white.

If I turn the backlight to 5 as everyone has suggested, the image is too dark for computer use, so I have it at 10.

The blacks are not black at all, is there any way to fix this? Even with backlight down to 0 (which would be way too dark), a completely black background is not dark black (at least compared to a regular monitor). And since I need to turn the backlight up to 10 for the image to be bright enough, blacks are even lighter.

Would not recommend as a computer monitor. I'm sure it's perfect for PS3 though.

LazyCanuck wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 5:35 am
For those who have connected the monitor to a PC, how does the red text in the image below look like?

http://i1.minus.com/iCeEdr2rgZ3Pq.png (direct link if the image doesn't show).

On my monitor, it's very fuzzy. The sharpness is turned down to zero and it's hooked up via HDMI. A 2007WFP monitor is connected as a secondary display, and the text in the image is clear/sharp.
Aug 21, 2001
131 posts
22 upvotes
fightbriz wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 2:00 am
If I turn the backlight to 5 as everyone has suggested, the image is too dark for computer use, so I have it at 10.

The blacks are not black at all, is there any way to fix this? Even with backlight down to 0 (which would be way too dark), a completely black background is not dark black (at least compared to a regular monitor). And since I need to turn the backlight up to 10 for the image to be bright enough, blacks are even lighter.
The unit I picked up on Black Friday has poor black levels. With the backlight set to 5 and the brightness at 50, black was closer to 75% grey. Dropping the backlight and brightness down to 0 helped a bit, but then it crushes all the blacks and makes the white dull. The unit from Boxing day has better black levels with the same settings; not great, but it's closer to ~90%.

Along with the fuzzy text (still fuzzy when the image is viewed on the PS3's XMB), both monitors have severe ghosting issues. The difference is huge compared to an old 16 ms S-PVA monitor, where the ghosting appears to be tolerable (tested with images below).

Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
3227 posts
837 upvotes
Mississauga
Package has arrived! I've been reading pages on pc 3d and youtube 3d but I just want the basics....have people noticed what backlight # works best or any tips and tricks while setting this up?
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
12508 posts
1705 upvotes
Toronto
When I tried out the monitor I purchased during Black Friday, the text are non-readable and thus you could not use as a regular monitor.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2846 posts
652 upvotes
GTA
Only text problem is red on black.
Idk what else you guys are getting.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
7158 posts
655 upvotes
ok...need some help to test the 3D movie on this monitor

i have the 3D movie in MKV but dont have a graphic card that support 3D as I'm using onboard video (How much does a 3D GPU normally cost?)

so, can I copy to the portable HD and play from PS3 (Note my PS3 has not been nuked yet)???

By the way, I'm using it as a mon now and notice the screen size doesnt max up. Is there any way to max up?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2001
6717 posts
168 upvotes
Oakville
Welp I looped Wall-E a couple times yesterday and no black screen yet. Is there any particular way to "stress" the display with a PS3 to see if the panel is faulty?

$100 is a steal if it holds up, build quality is nice and apparently the 3d glasses should work with my panny plasma.
Heatware: canadianpsycho - 200-0-0 http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=249
PS34Wii360ne Owner.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2004
9908 posts
435 upvotes
Mississauga
kiasu wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 7:12 pm
ok...need some help to test the 3D movie on this monitor

i have the 3D movie in MKV but dont have a graphic card that support 3D as I'm using onboard video (How much does a 3D GPU normally cost?)

so, can I copy to the portable HD and play from PS3 (Note my PS3 has not been nuked yet)???

By the way, I'm using it as a mon now and notice the screen size doesnt max up. Is there any way to max up?
Do you really need a 3d card? My 4 year old WDTV and oplay both play 3D MKVs.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
7158 posts
655 upvotes
well I tried and dont see the 3D effect on my PC.

i have the PBO and I think it play MKV too..let me try that and see..
dmdsoftware2 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 7:52 pm
Do you really need a 3d card? My 4 year old WDTV and oplay both play 3D MKVs.
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Aug 21, 2011
736 posts
147 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 7:55 pm

Is the 3d movie showing two images side by side (or top-bottom), if so you just have to adjust the 3d mode on the display for watching 3d. The only time you really would need a dedicated GPU would really be for playing games in 3d, which is a totally different story since it would be actually having to render two different images at slightly different perspectives (for the 3d effect).

On a side note, I got two black screens within about two minutes of each other on my display (while playing a non-3d ps3 game) but that was the only time, never happened again. Strange but I hope it will remain only that one time.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
7158 posts
655 upvotes
yes side by side.....

how do i adjust the 3d mode? it's in auto mode
596722 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 8:03 pm
Is the 3d movie showing two images side by side (or top-bottom), if so you just have to adjust the 3d mode on the display for watching 3d. The only time you really would need a dedicated GPU would really be for playing games in 3d, which is a totally different story since it would be actually having to render two different images at slightly different perspectives (for the 3d effect).

On a side note, I got two black screens within about two minutes of each other on my display (while playing a non-3d ps3 game) but that was the only time, never happened again. Strange but I hope it will remain only that one time.
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2004
9908 posts
435 upvotes
Mississauga
kiasu wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 7:55 pm

The MKV plays on the WDTV or oplay in the method it was encoded in and I just tell the TV which mode the playback is encoded in (side-by-side or up-and-down). I think the TV should do this fine. I think you only need a 3D graphic card to generate 3D content that isn't already encoded in a 3D method.

You should be able to change it from auto to the proper method by using the buttons on the tv. I recall I didn't need to use a remote to force it off auto.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
7158 posts
655 upvotes
ok..no problem playing from my PBO...very cool....thx
dmdsoftware2 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 8:05 pm
The MKV plays on the WDTV or oplay in the method it was encoded in and I just tell the TV which mode the playback is encoded in (side-by-side or up-and-down). I think the TV should do this fine. I think you only need a 3D graphic card to generate 3D content that isn't already encoded in a 3D method.

You should be able to change it from auto to the proper method by using the buttons on the tv. I recall I didn't need to use a remote to force it off auto.
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
1929 posts
172 upvotes
so after playing with this monitor for a while, I have concluded that the latest NVidia drivers + Ps3 display != 3d gaming.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get 3d games to work with this (I have a 640GT). People have had success before (by updating the EDID... whatever that is), but the new drivers broke the compatibility apparently. I can't rollback to an older driver, because my card is too new and is not supported. Any solutions?

I have not encountered the black screen nor the fuzzy fonts. I have noticed that the fuzzy fonts did occur when I was in 1080i... 1080p, I find it just as crisp as my other lcd screens. Poor viewing angles however.
Dec 21, 2012
744 posts
169 upvotes
So a 3D dedicated graphics card is not necessary? If I download a 3D movie on my Macbook can I stream it on the display and get 3D effects with the glasses? Just want to make sure since I need to buy a mini-display to HDMI adapter if 3D does work like that.
× < >