Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] BB + FS Price Drop - Sony NEX-5R compact mirrorless camera $529! MSRP 749!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2013 11:23 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
1937 posts
531 upvotes
London
LankyD wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 10:00 pm
I don't have 5r. I have the very first Nex-5 with the kit lens. 18-55 is not bad in my opinion. Do not get the 16mm lens tho. I sold mine because I did not like the quality. Below are photos taken with 18-55 during Toronto zombie walk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69238709@N ... 822019603/

I also have M42 adapter and two SMC Super Takumars which require manual focus. It takes a lot of time to do a manual focus using the LCD screen and it is not worth it in my opinion. However, touch screen focus on 5r would help manual focus I think. Mine does not have touch screen focus.
*whistle* great looking photos.
Feb 8, 2008
214 posts
80 upvotes
--
LankyD wrote:

I also have M42 adapter and two SMC Super Takumars which require manual focus. It takes a lot of time to do a manual focus using the LCD screen and it is not worth it in my opinion. However, touch screen focus on 5r would help manual focus I think. Mine does not have touch screen focus.
The touch screen focus is for auto focus only. Manual focus is not that bad if you turn on focus peaking. Sony sensors are rated amongst the best in the industry, the 5R/6 sensor is no slouch. The lenses are what's holding back the NEX cameras.
NZXT does NOT honour their rebates: cc-nzxt-hale82-650w-750w-850w-80plus-br ... st14800380
Oct 24, 2001
699 posts
21 upvotes
Edmonton
LankyD wrote:
I don't have 5r. I have the very first Nex-5 with the kit lens. 18-55 is not bad in my opinion. Do not get the 16mm lens tho. I sold mine because I did not like the quality. Below are photos taken with 18-55 during Toronto zombie walk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69238709@N ... 822019603/

is the 16mm really that bad? you gain a lot of portability with it
RFDers unite! Don't buy overpriced cars from greedy Canadian dealers. You can save tens of thousands of dollars by buying your cars in US!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2009
1973 posts
504 upvotes
MTL
zulu888 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 1:56 am
is the 16mm really that bad? you gain a lot of portability with it
It has a purpose, but it limits the camera if you try to use it as a multipurpose lens:
+ It's an F2.8 lens, which helps indoors with less lighting a bit if you want to avoid using the flash (zoom starts at F3.5, which is still quite usable, just hold still when you take the picture :) ).
- Night Shooting mode offsets the benefit of this (takes several pictures in drive mode and stitches them together, uses the lighting info, etc.).
+ It enables the use of the ultra wide angle and fisheye adapters (they work *only* on the 16mm, you'll get distorted images if you try to use it on the 18-55mm).
-- You'll have to do a lot of running around to do proper framing (since it's a fixed lens compared to if you had the zoom lens on it) unless you don't mind cropping (I dislike doing that).
- It's barely pocketable even when though it has a short barrel.

I had bought the kit with the 18-55mm lens and got the pancake after the fact. The only time I went out with just the pancake (and the ultrawide adapter) I had been wishing I had brought the zoom lens the whole time. :( The zoom is far more useful than a fixed by itself or with the ultra-wide adapter.

If you're going for night shooting, some higher-end P&S Canons also have a Twilight Shooting mode which does something similar to the Night Shooting mode (seems to take several photos in drive mode and stitches them together).
Nov 14, 2005
224 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
these deals are now dead...
Feb 15, 2006
604 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Got mine back in early december for $599 and then it dropped before I went on vacation so I ended up getting $50 back from BB on my receipt.

Great Camera!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
811 upvotes
Calgary
Getting the NEX F3 today for $399. Costco has it and includes an 8GB card.

5R was too pricey for me, wasnt wanting to spend that much on a camera and really want the flash on the F3.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
811 upvotes
Calgary
LonesomeDove wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 5:02 pm
In terms of size, this camera is a big to big to fit in your shirt pocket. So if you already have a DSLR, what is the point of getting this camera.

In terms of picture quality, even point and shoot cameras that sell for less than $200 have good quality pictures. I compared photos taken with my Canon 320 HS and my Nikon D3100 and there is no difference between them.
Dont know if you are aware but P&S cameras are being phased out and replaced by smartphones. I dont see a point buying a P&S under $200 cause most if not all smartphones cams will be just as good. Its redundant.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
811 upvotes
Calgary
coolwasabi wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 6:13 pm
Regarding size.
It's true that, with the 18-55 kit, this is still not pocketable.
However, the size difference between a mirrorless like this and a traditional SLR cannot be understated:
It's not pocketable, but you will not be "lugging" this around like an SLR.

With that said, if you only plan on using the 18-55 kit lens and not buying additional lenses, I would seriously consider getting something truly compact like a Canon S95/S100/S110, Sony RX100, etc. NEX glass is improving, but still pales compared to micro 4/3rds and traditional SLRs.

I bought a Sony NEX-5 when it first came out. It's a great camera. Much easier to carry on vacations than a traditional SLR. But I've always only ever used the kit lens. For most shots, something like a Canon S100 would be good enough for me; and that is truly pocketable.
Canon S110, Sony RX100? I would never spend that kind of money on a P&S ever. Its pointless. If i spend that kind of money it would be for this NEX or DSLR. Those P&S are high end performers but you pay a premium for the size which really if you want manual settings, size isnt much of an issue. Plus P&S cameras are too feminine. You want people to see you with a nice big camera, P&Ss from a distance all look the same and the average person could tell apart from a Canon S110 to a cheap $99 model.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24043 posts
4127 upvotes
Toronto
Need to find a lens deal...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9307 posts
988 upvotes
Ottawa
Mayosandwich wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:38 am
Canon S110, Sony RX100? I would never spend that kind of money on a P&S ever. Its pointless. If i spend that kind of money it would be for this NEX or DSLR. Those P&S are high end performers but you pay a premium for the size which really if you want manual settings, size isnt much of an issue. Plus P&S cameras are too feminine. You want people to see you with a nice big camera, P&Ss from a distance all look the same and the average person could tell apart from a Canon S110 to a cheap $99 model.

Are you kidding or something? Won't buy a P&S camera because it's too femimine? Now I've heard it all
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9960 posts
1113 upvotes
Mayosandwich wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:33 am
Dont know if you are aware but P&S cameras are being phased out and replaced by smartphones. I dont see a point buying a P&S under $200 cause most if not all smartphones cams will be just as good. Its redundant.
This is totally false and a ridiculous claim. Learn some more about what you are talking about re: lens apertures, digital zoom vs. optical zoom etc.

But you're probably just trolling anyways.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
1937 posts
531 upvotes
London
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 12:34 pm
This is totally false and a ridiculous claim. Learn some more about what you are talking about re: lens apertures, digital zoom vs. optical zoom etc.
Ummm p and s and camcorders are a dying breed... Not exactly being smartphone replaced but not far off.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1697 posts
185 upvotes
GTA
Fantaz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 12:20 pm
Need to find a lens deal...
+1...would like 1 or 2 lens to go with this bad boy. I ordered an extra battery and external charger. Goes through juice pretty quickly.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9960 posts
1113 upvotes
tickyboy wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 12:37 pm
Ummm p and s and camcorders are a dying breed... Not exactly being smartphone replaced but not far off.
It will take years for smart phone cameras to get to the level of image quality of the ELPH 320, a relatively low end sub $200 point and shoot. By then small cameras will have evolved further ahead.

But if you can't see the difference, enjoy your smartphone pics.

Camcorders are best saved for a totally different discussion, cell phones are years away from taking high quality video.
× < >