Boxing Day 2012 Deals Archive

BB shipped item with damaged /opened packaging - ?!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2013 7:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
60 posts
7 upvotes

BB shipped item with damaged /opened packaging - ?!

I have never bought from BB online before, so I have no idea if this is 'normal' for them, I bought the WD 2TB Passport w/case for $119 last week online.

I just got it and part of the packaging of the Passport was torn. I was just barely, but able to remove the drive from the packaging without opening it further/breaking the round seals and at this point don't know if it was an already returned/used/damaged item or by bad luck it was torn in transport.
Also, shipping any hard drive, passport or internal in a plastic, UNpadded envelope isn't the smartest thing I have seen.
Not impressed as this could easily shorten it's life span, not knowing is the real problem.

I stopped buying drives at NCIX too, they throw internals into a box of popcorn, drives end up on the bottom bashing each other with all the popcorn loose on top!
3 replies
Mar 30, 2009
665 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Get used to it. That's the way FS and BB ships smaller items for the most part. Take it back to your local store with the receipt and exchange it. Nice, simple and headache free.

Good luck :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2004
9962 posts
445 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought WD SE Element drives from BB 2 years ago, and this is precisely the way they delivered it to me in the mail - just in a plain, non bubble wrapped envelope. They worked and still work, but the onus is on them. If they don't work, its their loss and not mine (I return to the store for an exchange etc).
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2003
1809 posts
147 upvotes
I got the same hard drive and I couldn't figure out how to open it without destroying the packaging. Seems like it was designed that way. Mine did look like it was roughed up a bit like someone was trying to tamper with it or swap it with a bag of sand, lol. But I checked it all out and it was legit.
× < >