None
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2007
1452 posts
329 upvotes
Edmonton
lynn24 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 12:57 pm
Virgin Mobile will charge you $300 to cancel. HOWEVER, if you switch to prepaid service, there are no additional fees other than paying off the $150 tab for this phone... then in a couple months your account will expire.
really? are you making this up? I don't think they can justify that since you're signing up on a month-to-month supertab plan
You can't steal in slow motion
[OP]
Mar 21, 2011
610 posts
224 upvotes
Delta
cc wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 12:34 pm
If I get this phone and immediately cancel, will Virgin Mobile offer me retention deal?

I kind of like their $30 plan, but would be even better if they either offer me more data or lower the price by $5.
It's worth a shot because when you call in to cancel, they always ask if there's anything they can do.
Mar 28, 2005
491 posts
3 upvotes
Can you use Bestbuy rewards certificates to buy gift cards? I am guessing the answer is no, since rewards certificates are essentially just coupons, so kind of useless.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2011
610 posts
224 upvotes
Delta
Anatomy wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 1:10 pm
really? are you making this up? I don't think they can justify that since you're signing up on a month-to-month supertab plan
That's probably for the 3 years term.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2011
610 posts
224 upvotes
Delta
newatthis wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 1:36 pm
Can you use Bestbuy rewards certificates to buy gift cards? I am guessing the answer is no, since rewards certificates are essentially just coupons, so kind of useless.
If you want cash for your certificate, just go buy something and return it. They refund cash or to your debit card. Happened to me when I tried to price protect my Galaxy Tab yesterday but got denied, so I returned it
Aug 21, 2005
872 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
Anatomy wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 1:10 pm
I had two reps tell me when I called in to switch, but now that I think about it maybe they were just confused (they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed...), HOWEVER I also think they mentioned that cancelling required 30 days notice, which I think 'makes more sense' than the $300 cancellation fee. Pardon the error.
lypang wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 1:59 pm
If you want cash for your certificate, just go buy something and return it. They refund cash or to your debit card. Happened to me when I tried to price protect my Galaxy Tab yesterday but got denied, so I returned it
I once returned something that I used a $5 RewardZone credit on and they refunded the $5 onto a gift card... so the cashback seems to be YMMV
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1662 posts
358 upvotes
Vancouver
I got the phone on December 1st; they gave me a $50 gift card at the time. I went back today and got a pricematch for a full $100 gift card.

I've switch to prepaid. I'm not 100% sure if I still owe money. I've called Virgin to check my balance. They told me I owe $5.60, so I pay with my credit card -- I'm assuming this is the prorated amount from before I switched to a prepaid plan. They mention nothing of the $150. I do ask them if I owe anything on a SuperTab/Tab, but all they said was that I owe the $5.60. I don't know where my $150 tab fee went to; should it have been shown with my $5.60 ($150 + $5.60).

Which phone number are you guys calling to get a hold of someone to pay off the your tab?
Aug 21, 2005
872 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
Did you get your final bill? I was told to wait until I received my final bill and the SuperTab $$ was on there... However it was reduced by $0.63 before tax but I have no idea why. :confused:
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1055 posts
194 upvotes
Edmonton
lynn24 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 12:57 pm
Virgin Mobile will charge you $300 to cancel. HOWEVER, if you switch to prepaid service, there are no additional fees other than paying off the $150 tab for this phone... then in a couple months your account will expire.
Does that mean it will take a couple months before you can use it on another carrier if you unlock it?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1662 posts
358 upvotes
Vancouver
That's just it. I don't know what to expect. Do they mail out something? I'm hearing people on threads just paying there tab over the phone.

Guess I'll wait out a month and see if I get something in the mail.
Aug 21, 2005
872 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
DeeWayne wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 3:33 pm
Does that mean it will take a couple months before you can use it on another carrier if you unlock it?
Just use your own SIM card
BooR4dL3y wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 3:41 pm
That's just it. I don't know what to expect. Do they mail out something? I'm hearing people on threads just paying there tab over the phone.

Guess I'll wait out a month and see if I get something in the mail.
Did you sign up for (free) e-billing? Mailed bills cost $2 or something... if you picked that option
Jan 2, 2012
260 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
" That's just it. I don't know what to expect. Do they mail out something? I'm hearing people on threads just paying there tab over the phone.

Guess I'll wait out a month and see if I get something in the mail
."

Yes that is what the CSR's are telling. I also ran into this problem. I had to call 10 times or so. each one saying there is nothing due yet on the super tab. My bill is not ready yet and cannot accept payment against the super tab. I finally made a payment at the virgin store with great difficulty. Called next day and switched to prepaid. Again had to give all info and wait over the phone with prepaid department took over 20 min. So YMMV.

NOTE: I still have to pay a prorated amount for 4 days when the bill arrives by regular mail. The prepaid dept would not accept payment. and the cancellation department wanted me to wait until the final bill is ready. The post paid department says my bill is not ready and my payment only shows as a credit for now. Super tab not yet paid. So confusing and I have to switch an other phone as well.
Feb 28, 2002
544 posts
70 upvotes
pmgroo1 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 4:00 pm
" That's just it. I don't know what to expect. Do they mail out something? I'm hearing people on threads just paying there tab over the phone.

Guess I'll wait out a month and see if I get something in the mail
."

Yes that is what the CSR's are telling. I also ran into this problem. I had to call 10 times or so. each one saying there is nothing due yet on the super tab. My bill is not ready yet and cannot accept payment against the super tab. I finally made a payment at the virgin store with great difficulty. Called next day and switched to prepaid. Again had to give all info and wait over the phone with prepaid department took over 20 min. So YMMV.

NOTE: I still have to pay a prorated amount for 4 days when the bill arrives by regular mail. The prepaid dept would not accept payment. and the cancellation department wanted me to wait until the final bill is ready. The post paid department says my bill is not ready and my payment only shows as a credit for now. Super tab not yet paid. So confusing and I have to switch an other phone as well.
It is a little bit of a hassle, but since they're not making any money(or not much) on the deal I guess they don't have a priority procedure for what we want to do. ;)
I bought two back last time they had $100GC, called the next day and switched them to pre-paid.
When they asked about top-up I said no thanks, they were X-mass gifts and I would wait, took about 20 mins for both phones on the same account.
After the pre-paid guy was done he sent me back to the SuperTab dept where I was told it would be best to wait for my bill.
Had one email that mentioned an upcoming bill and to check my account for more info, but since the phone # is now a pre-paid no longer accesses the SuperTab info.
Called back a couple days ago, got transferred to the SuperTab dept, gave them the account number was told a balance of ~$320, paid it by CC and asked for an emailed receipt. They said they couldn't do that and I would be sent a statement.... So hopefully that's the end of my association with Virgin.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1662 posts
358 upvotes
Vancouver
Sounds like I am on the right track. I'm going to wait for a final invoice to come. I did sign up with the e-mail bill to avoid the $2 paper bill.
Jan 2, 2012
260 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
charge wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 4:22 pm
It is a little bit of a hassle, but since they're not making any money(or not much) on the deal I guess they don't have a priority procedure for what we want to do. ;)
I bought two back last time they had $100GC, called the next day and switched them to pre-paid.
When they asked about top-up I said no thanks, they were X-mass gifts and I would wait, took about 20 mins for both phones on the same account.
After the pre-paid guy was done he sent me back to the SuperTab dept where I was told it would be best to wait for my bill.
Had one email that mentioned an upcoming bill and to check my account for more info, but since the phone # is now a pre-paid no longer accesses the SuperTab info.
Called back a couple days ago, got transferred to the SuperTab dept, gave them the account number was told a balance of ~$320, paid it by CC and asked for an emailed receipt. They said they couldn't do that and I would be sent a statement.... So hopefully that's the end of my association with Virgin.
Onething that got me was they processed only 147.50 for the tab and not 150.00 is that normal
× < >