Food & Drink

BBQ Masters, where to buy wood chips for smoking?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2011 4:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton

BBQ Masters, where to buy wood chips for smoking?

Hi all..

I've lately been watching the food network, and they've got a professor from university of toronto with his own show called LICENSE TO GRILL, and this guy is amazing.. he does literally EVERYTHING on the barbeque.. But last year, I wanted to try smoking some meats, like this guy does on TV all the time, but the only place I could find the wood chips (like hickory, or cherry wood) was at [rfdlink=http://forums.redflagdeals.com/autolink ... ?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink], and they were not good chips (They were huge CHUNKS, the good stuff is fine)

Just wondering if any of the pros know a good place to get good woodchips for the BBQ, I want to do some HICKORY RIBS this summer and can't wait :D
29 replies
Jan 18, 2004
199 posts
3 upvotes
maybe high end grocery stores like Bruno's fine foods?

I would think there are some specialty shops in toronto too?

Not sure...good question though...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5794 posts
419 upvotes
I smoked bamboo once. ;)

Oh that kinda smoking(the hickory type thing). I always thought you can pick it up at any grocery store or hardware store.
Feb 16, 2004
114 posts
I've seen flavoured wood chips at Home Depot, they were in the seasonal section with all the other BBQ accessories. IIRC hickory, mesquite, and apple
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5406 posts
170 upvotes
BC
duckdown wrote:but the only place I could find the wood chips (like hickory, or cherry wood) was at [rfdlink=http://forums.redflagdeals.com/autolink ... ?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink], and they were not good chips (They were huge CHUNKS, the good stuff is fine)
there is no difference in the flavour of the smoke from a larger chunk, or a fine wood chip. myself i use larger pieces as the fine ones burn up way too quickly.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
He's a chef instructor at George Brown, not U of T.

You can use any *untreated* hardwood for smoking and you can buy it from any hardware store. You just need to figure out how to chop it up into bits :)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
Home Despot is where I got Mesquite, but I think there is another wood there as well.

PS, if you plan to use liquid smoke, start off with a few drops. i put in nearly half the bottle by accident one time and the entire bbq smelt like a freakin' forest fire.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1424 upvotes
Pickering
Here is your answer.... Sobies on Willowdale just north of Sheppard.They have EVERYTHING. I have been into smoking meats for two years and have learned lots and can tell you this is the place. They have REAL charcoal, and woodchips and chunks. Chunks are for smokers and chips are for smoking in a regular barbecue using foil packets or a cast iron smoking box and the chunks are for use in a charcoal smoker. Chips would burn up in 30 secs, even if wet and in a foil packet (tinfoil folded perforated) in hot charcoal as it gets HOT. Chunks soaked in water still need to be wrapped in foil (a baseball sized chunk burst into flames in 5 minutes in my smoker exposed and the tinfoil wrap stops it from burning by limiting the air it needs to combust). Got to www.sobies.com and look at the woods they offer and visit the store as they have even more. The staff is very knowledgeable as well. Goto www.smokering.com to learn what you need to know about prepping meats, blending your own dry rubs, marinading meats and buying and modifying your own smoker. Hickory smoked ribs are good, but try smoking chicken wings. Everybody wants my recipe for sauce when they try the wings, and they are blown away when they find out there is none, just hickory smoke. I smoke my own luncheon meats (very high yield but low cost). I have been asked by people to cook at their parties because they know I make good smoked meats.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton
sorry for reviving this thread, i posted it though and forgot to look into it..

yeah, i need them finely ground because I'm using the indirect heat method on my regular BBQ as the last poster said

Awesome, AudiDude, thanks for the heads up on this sobies place (i almost had it mistaken for SOBEYS and almost drove out to my local supermarket :P )

Yeah, I learned all about the tinfoil-pouch technique, i watched alot of License to Grill on the food network :]

I was just hoping there was a place in the Brampton-Mississauga area
Jan 17, 2008
479 posts
81 upvotes
Does anyone know of any places to buy wood chips/chunks in the Brampton/Mississauga area?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5406 posts
170 upvotes
BC
jestik wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 8:10 am
Does anyone know of any places to buy wood chips/chunks in the Brampton/Mississauga area?
Canadian Tire and Home Depot have them here, you could check them out.
That's my 2cents worth
Jan 17, 2008
479 posts
81 upvotes
Keelie wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 10:30 am
Canadian Tire and Home Depot have them here, you could check them out.
Really?? Awesome. Thanks for the quick response.
Do you know specifically if they Heartland locations have them?? Those are the closest to me.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9356 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
jestik wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 11:23 am
Really?? Awesome. Thanks for the quick response.
Do you know specifically if they Heartland locations have them?? Those are the closest to me.
I've bought wood chips from the Heartland CT. IIRC, they had hickory and mesquite.
× < >