Home & Garden

BBQs NOT allowed in apartments/condos! IS there a reason??

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2006 5:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 8, 2005
220 posts
Toronto, Ontario

BBQs NOT allowed in apartments/condos! IS there a reason??

Hey, I was just wondering why BBQs weren't allowed in apartments. We just snuck one in. Is there a reason why I should get rid of it?
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
187 upvotes
low dealz wrote:Hey, I was just wondering why BBQs weren't allowed in apartments. We just snuck one in. Is there a reason why I should get rid of it?
It is not allowed to use. It is not disallowed to store one inside your apartment. Hence, you don't have to get rid of it.

Reason: smoke affecting your neighbour. Dirty the windows. Higher chance of fire.

I assume you don't mean to use it within your apartment. If so, smoking alarm.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
707 posts
low dealz wrote:Hey, I was just wondering why BBQs weren't allowed in apartments. We just snuck one in. Is there a reason why I should get rid of it?
That could void your agreement.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3813 posts
23 upvotes
+ fire department might come and make a big scene.
"So, what happens when I use Monster cable with Bose speakers? Do two of them cause the multiplied composite effect, creating a sort of fiscal black hole, in which money disappears never to be seen again?"
Aug 10, 2004
22 posts
My neighbor was on the board of my condo and he told me the reason is that bringing in propane tanks through the common areas was not allowed under the condo corporations's fire insurance.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2005
220 posts
Toronto, Ontario
So I guess I should get rid of it (just in case some freak accident happens where a fire blows up my propane tank and kills all my neighbours???)

I know a few ppl in my apt have it, but we were told during the lease that they were disallowed.
Aug 10, 2004
22 posts
low dealz wrote:So I guess I should get rid of it (just in case some freak accident happens where a fire blows up my propane tank and kills all my neighbours???)

I know a few ppl in my apt have it, but we were told during the lease that they were disallowed.
I did not say to get rid of it, alot of people in the condo have them anyway.

You could keep it until management complains.

Another option is an electric grill which heats the bricks. Not as nice as a good gas BBQ but they are decent.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3130 posts
1 upvote
Laterz all! deleteus…
one problem with BBQ (besides being a major fire hazzard) is that when you cook on them where does all the smoke and heat go?

You guessed it, up into you neighbours (through the window, balcony) and in the hallway.

If you really want to start a good fire I recommend dropping a frozen turkey into a deep fryer with overheated oil and leaving it unattended. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes

- you might be in violation of your rental/purchase aggreement
- you might be in violation of fire codes (possible fines)
- you might be negating all of your insurance coverage
Nov 22, 2004
582 posts
8 upvotes
I can clear up the Condo rationale (and perhaps some larger apartment buiuldings as well).

It is a fire regulation that you can't transport items such as propane tanks in passenger elevators. As a result, even though our condo had an adundance of balconies, bbqs were restricted. Some residents argued that they would take the propane up the stairs (yeah, right - to the 21st floor!!) so in order to keep the peace the condo enforced the rule for all residents - no bbqs.

The only exception was the electric style which, while not as nice as a fire-breathing bbq, is still a nice change from frying up a steak in a pan on the stove :)
--

C3

(o"()
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
187 upvotes
yjxiao wrote:what about charcoal grills?

They're the best for flavor anyway ;)

Oh no, here comes the flames hahaha. No pun there.
CO.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3605 posts
84 upvotes
mrs. jed's last apt only allowed 10lbs or less tanks, but did allow tanks. In case of a fire, certainly less fuel to add to the fire.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2001
1323 posts

That's a pic of the condo complex next to mine. On one side everything was melted and scorched, if there had been propane tanks on the decks they might have exploded or burned and started my complex on fire too. So I'm glad our condo association doesn't allow propane BBQs (every deck has a natural gas outlet).

Thanks to the firefighters who saved my condo. :)