Home & Garden

BBQs NOT allowed in apartments/condos! IS there a reason??

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2006 5:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
temporalillusion wrote: That's a pic of the condo complex next to mine. On one side everything was melted and scorched, if there had been propane tanks on the decks they might have exploded or burned and started my complex on fire too. So I'm glad our condo association doesn't allow propane BBQs (every deck has a natural gas outlet).

Thanks to the firefighters who saved my condo. :)
A small propane tank explosion will not fired it to where you took the picture (assuming that is where your complex is). In Hong Kong, in the old days and even now, almost every unit has one or more propane tanks. They are much bigger than the BBQ tank. They are located in the kitchen and bathroom. In where my brother lives now (my home in Hong Kong) still has them. There were propane tank explosions in fire but it does not travel that far away.

I would worry about the natural gas outlets much more.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
3650 posts
131 upvotes
Edmonton
Soem condos let you use BBQs on the penthouse suites (noone above you). Mine didn't, but I snuck one up anyways. Lived there for 1.5 years and noone complained.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41084 posts
4875 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
gman wrote:A small propane tank explosion will not fired it to where you took the picture (assuming that is where your complex is). In Hong Kong, in the old days and even now, almost every unit has one or more propane tanks. They are much bigger than the BBQ tank. They are located in the kitchen and bathroom. In where my brother lives now (my home in Hong Kong) still has them. There were propane tank explosions in fire but it does not travel that far away.

I would worry about the natural gas outlets much more.
oohh.. so its not like the movies eh?
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
I'm not a chemist, but apparently propane is lighter than air and will settle and pool if you used it on the balcony. Imagine someone lighting a cigarette unbeknownst that his neighbor above was bbq'ing. Big bang is what's going to happen.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4794 posts
337 upvotes
Ancaster
Emancipated wrote:I'm not a chemist, but apparently propane is lighter than air and will settle and pool if you used it on the balcony. Imagine someone lighting a cigarette unbeknownst that his neighbor above was bbq'ing. Big bang is what's going to happen.
1) If it's lighter than air, why would it "settle" on the balcony as opposed to drifting away?

2) If it's lighter than air, why would the propane drift down to a neighbor one floor below who's lighting up? And how would the neighbor flick his butt up one entire floor to the balcony?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
Emancipated wrote:I'm not a chemist, but apparently propane is lighter than air
Not a chemist! :lol:

Propane is heavier than air.

Did everyone miss RC51's post? I think it clearly explained the reasoning why.
rc51 wrote:- you might be in violation of your rental/purchase aggreement
- you might be in violation of fire codes (possible fines)
- you might be negating all of your insurance coverage
Beans, beans, the magically fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel. So eat your beans at every meal.