BC Alternatives to $60/10 GB plan?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 3:54 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9620 posts
888 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a google number. What app do I use and can I use this in Canada for free? I tried google hangouts but looks like they charge ? Also loaded google voice but can’t access the verification code they want to send.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1132 posts
735 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Killahbyte wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 1:35 pm
Ya thats what i was talking about the prepaid is always more. Its the month to month plans i want to get on but they always require US ID.
lol what in the US the prepaid is almost always cheaper than postpaid. Plus without a US credit history, they'll ask you to put down a deposit when they check your credit.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2780 posts
1197 upvotes
Everywhere
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 1:49 pm
I have a google number. What app do I use and can I use this in Canada for free? I tried google hangouts but looks like they charge ? Also loaded google voice but can’t access the verification code they want to send.

Thanks
Use the Google Voice app. The is wifi/data calling built into it now. No forwarding number or hangouts required. You need to download it from the US play store.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9620 posts
888 upvotes
Vancouver
batcave wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 3:09 pm
Use the Google Voice app. The is wifi/data calling built into it now. No forwarding number or hangouts required. You need to download it from the US play store.
So google voice app is different USA/Canada? Because I downloaded it from Canada and it wants a verification code.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2780 posts
1197 upvotes
Everywhere
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 3:19 pm
So google voice app is different USA/Canada? Because I downloaded it from Canada and it wants a verification code.
Last time I checked it was not available in the Canadian store. You downloaded a different app if from the Canadian store.

Edit, here is a link to the app in the us store, but you might not be able to access it,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ooglevoice
Last edited by batcave on Feb 12th, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9620 posts
888 upvotes
Vancouver
I did :) and kept asking for verification code. Maybe there different. I’ll try switching to USA store and download the app. See if it makes a difference.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2780 posts
1197 upvotes
Everywhere
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 3:26 pm
I did :) and kept asking for verification code. Maybe there different. I’ll try switching to USA store and download the app. See if it makes a difference.
Looks like this? Image

Maybe it's in the Cdn store, but I don't see why it would be if it not available for Canadians.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9620 posts
888 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah I’m really confused now. I have downloaded from both countries.

It seems to want to link to some numbers .

Anyways thing I’ve given up for now. Maybe revisit this tomorrow.

Thanks for your help though :)
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1132 posts
735 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 3:26 pm
Do you mean it wants you to input a US number for verification? Yeah there's no way around that, you'll have to get an Amerifriend to help you, or do it the next time you're in the US and have access to a US phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9620 posts
888 upvotes
Vancouver
Aww yeah I think it does want that as you mention. I think maybe this needs to be setup while in America.

Then maybe it will work here.

Thanks again.