Toronto
hohohong wrote: Just returned from WA shopping. Still have to pay WA tax. :mad:
You have to waive your passport or something is what i was told
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
Ok one thing i dont get is if its' because now we only have 1 tax....why is it only washington and not states like New york? or LA etc.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10594 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
yvrwindsor wrote: An extract from the CTV news
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... lumbiaHome

Washington officials say residents in those two provinces will be eligible for a tax exemption on tangible goods purchased for use outside of the state, such as clothing or electronics, once the HST begins July 1.
The state already offers a similar exemption to provinces that already have the HST, such as Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador and Quebec.

If Washington State is already giving tax exemptions to other HST provinces, I don't understand why BC will be any different...perhaps the tax revenue is substantial.
A Washington State judge has temporarily blocked the sales-tax exemption for B.C. residents that was supposed to take effect Thursday

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Washin ... story.html
Dec 22, 2002
438 posts
26 upvotes
jokeracing wrote: If you look at your receipts from Washington the tx is roughly around 7% not 15%?? not sure where you got that from???
I believe the 15% that Canuckerr is referring to is the amount of WA state tax revenue derived from BC residents for some border counties, not the percentage charged.
Aug 31, 2006
488 posts
284 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
deal_with_singh wrote: Ok one thing i dont get is if its' because now we only have 1 tax....why is it only washington and not states like New york? or LA etc.
The reason WA originally did it was to attract buyers from their neighboring state of OREGON (as they do not have to pay sales tax). Since I assume all US states bordering New York already charge a state sales tax, there is no point in them "waiving" the tax in order to attract buyers from those states.
Feb 25, 2003
627 posts
492 upvotes
Vancouver
Was in Bellingham on July 2nd shopping. Target and TJ Maxx didn't charge me any tax once I told them I live in BC. They'll ask for your BCDL and take some info down... I forgot to try it at Costco though. We'll do next time.
Feb 10, 2007
111 posts
4 upvotes
went down to the seattle premium outlets yesterday. alot of stores were honoring the tax exemption to bc residents. the ones that did got my business the ones that didnt i walked straight out.
Jul 16, 2005
82 posts
14 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I spoke to a Mazda dealership in Seattle today.....confirmed no tax for parts if I showed them BC ID.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2863 posts
2537 upvotes
Vancouveresque
hohohong wrote: Any update? It’s 11th July.
The injunction was extended until July 16th as the plaintiffs requested one more week to prepare their case to keep the injunction in place while the case is decided.

We have a few threads on this issue in the Shopping Discussion forum with more information.

washington-state-sales-tax-exemption-bc ... ge-908437/

bc-residents-exemption-washington-sales-tax-898458/
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
EvilMonkey25 wrote: Why do BC residents wstill have to pay WA state tax?

Where are the details?
That should be easy enough to avoid. Just resist the temptation to say "eh!". And take off that damn touque and lumberjack shirt - it's summer already!!! :lol:
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
KooJo wrote: The reason WA originally did it was to attract buyers from their neighboring state of OREGON (as they do not have to pay sales tax). Since I assume all US states bordering New York already charge a state sales tax, there is no point in them "waiving" the tax in order to attract buyers from those states.
So this SHOULD, theoretically, apply to residents of ANY region that doesn't have state or provincial tax - including AB, ON, and the maritimes...

Except of course the HST is in fact a provincial tax. The provincial component is actually higher than the federal (61.54% here in ON). Though I'm sure the MPPs would love it if we'd transfer all the blame to the feds.
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Feb 10, 2007
111 posts
4 upvotes
Walmart in bellingham is still offering the tax exemption. I bought some stuff and they have a sign right on the till to provide bc id before the transaction. This was on monday.
Jan 7, 2004
288 posts
6 upvotes
Burnaby
As of last weekend, Nordstroms in Bellevue and Walmart in Tualip gave me tax exemptions.

The few stores we bought stuff from at the Tualip outlets didn't.