• Jul 28th, 2017 7:03 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11232 posts
14613 upvotes

BC Election - May 9, 2017

The BC election is less than a week away. Surprised there is no talk of it here on this forum.

The BC Liberals have been in power 16 years and some people are fed up with them. Is it time for a change?

Most of the polls say the NDP has a big lead and other polls say it is too close to call.

For people outside of BC, The Liberals are led by Christy Clark and the NDP by John Horgan. The Greens, which are doing well, poll wise, are led by Andrew Weaver.
Have a nice day!

45 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
203 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote:
May 4th, 2017 9:41 pm
The BC election is less than a week away. Surprised there is no talk of it here on this forum.

The BC Liberals have been in power 16 years and some people are fed up with them. Is it time for a change?

Most of the polls say the NDP has a big lead and other polls say it is too close to call.

For people outside of BC, The Liberals are led by Christy Clark and the NDP by John Horgan. The Greens, which are doing well, poll wise, are led by Andrew Weaver.
Thats what they said last time right? And you know what happened. Cant trust the polls. There is video about Trump and Polls with CNNs Brianna Keilar and polls.
we are aware of this election. And almost all held in Canada. Provincial ones. Just don't matter much in national that much. I am more worried about their drug problems than their politicians.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1459 posts
422 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
One promise from the NDP leader that wasn't given much coverage shocked me.
He says he will eliminate the secret ballot when voting to unionize a work place. Instead employees would be given union cards to sign.

So what's wrong with the secret ballot? Or does intimidation work better?
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
203 upvotes
LOL. Globe and Mail
Hold your nose and vote Liberal
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4970 posts
461 upvotes
poleman wrote:
May 5th, 2017 12:06 am
One promise from the NDP leader that wasn't given much coverage shocked me.
He says he will eliminate the secret ballot when voting to unionize a work place. Instead employees would be given union cards to sign.

So what's wrong with the secret ballot? Or does intimidation work better?
Isn't there like a ceremony when joining a Union , pin prick of blood and then a card with Mary on it is burned ??
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
203 upvotes
Polls suggest close election. Liberal, NDP neck and neck.
Lets see if this is true. as usual. lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2897 posts
423 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
If you want lower house prices NDP will do the trick. You'll be unemployed and overtaxed though so even at a steep discount you won't be able to afford it.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7931 posts
891 upvotes
Victoria
I can't vote NDP. They made so many election spending promises it was funny. Nearly free child daycare, more subsidies for gulf island ferries (no mention of Vancouver Island Ferries that get charged more to also subsidize the other routes), no more tolls, elimination of MSP, freezing of ICBC rates, freezing of BC Hydro rates, etc.... the list goes on and on and on. I really didn't believe their estimate on how much it would all cost.

The other amazing part was in all their spending announcements, very little if anything applied to me. I'd see the province go even deeper down the hole and get nothing out of it.

The Liberals are definitely uppidity, and a little crooked. The technically balance the books and they aren't lying, but it's like your own personal debt. If you have a paycheck and you have a line of credit for $100k, as long as your able to make your debt payments, your balanced. The Libs keep borrowing to build infrastructure then amortize it over 50 years. Yes it balanced, but the provincial debt keeps going up. So not as balanced as I'd like. I'd rather see a little more tax and have these project paid up front.

Still the NDP's plan of spend money on everything doesn't sit right with me. I'd love to see a more centrist part that could balance objectives, but we're always stick with the choice between right and left in this province. There's no real center.

Last time I voted Green as protest vote because I loathed the Liberals and NDP so much. I probably should of again (or the crazy Vancouver Island party), but this time I went with what I felt was the lesser of two evils :( I feel dirty for how I voted. I wish we had better choices.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16752 posts
1962 upvotes
Langley
The NDP is pretty good at making promises that someone else has to pay for.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
441 upvotes
just look one province over to see what the NDP will do to you.

They're a one term pony
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3568 posts
451 upvotes
how come no talk of Conservatives in BC? I have no idea about the politics there but it seems like from the posts above that even the Green party gets more votes than PC's.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
1506 posts
195 upvotes
nx6288 wrote:
May 9th, 2017 2:35 pm
how come no talk of Conservatives in BC? I have no idea about the politics there but it seems like from the posts above that even the Green party gets more votes than PC's.
Too many vapid hippies in BC (except for the people that work in the Oil and Gas or Mining Industry...you know, people who have real jobs) that will reject Conservatives for the single fact that they are not on the political left. There is no good choice in BC, so as the G&M put it, hold your nose and vote Liberal if you want to avoid catastrophe.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7931 posts
891 upvotes
Victoria
LeisureSuitL wrote:
May 9th, 2017 2:11 pm
One term is all the NDP needs to destroy any economy.
Wasn't Alberta already going to crap before the NDP came in? I don't like the NDP in BC but I see all this hate for them in Alberta. All I can think was the previous conservative government was running deficits while the price of oil was high. They poorly handled the economy in boom times, the price of oil plummeted and the NDP got voted in.

How much of the current state of Alberta is because the Cons left in rough shape and the price of oil plummeted? Albertan's seeming blame the NDP for everything but don't ever seem to mention the other factors? Alberta always goes in the gutter when oil falls. They teach that in grade school :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7931 posts
891 upvotes
Victoria
nx6288 wrote:
May 9th, 2017 2:35 pm
The Liberals aren't really Liberals. They are the right wing party in BC. We have no centre. Lib's on the right and NDP on the left. No real need for a Consevative party here. Before the Libs it was the Socred's that occupied the right.