• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2019 2:40 pm
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I'm all for cameras detecting drivers running red lights.
Those speeding through an intersection is a bit different. I occasionally drive in the Greater Vancouver region and often you have no choice but to go with the flow, and often the flow means 20 to 30 through an intersection. Of course, this is usually on a green light.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It's really photo radar 2.0.

I'm not sure why they put one at SE Marine and Kerr now that they have all of those other traffic lights on Marine until Boundary. It's not like anyone can go anywhere fast along that stretch anymore.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1791 posts
1181 upvotes
Vancouver
How do they even determine what accidents are due to "speed"? Technically speed is a factor in crashes 100% of them time... I go through several of those intersections every day and it's really not dangerous at all at current speeds (~80km/h). More to do with people not paying attention rather than speed limits. Also 50km/h is way too slow...makes me wonder if people that make these laws even drive.

I just hope there will be alot of signage otherwise this will just be a source of revenue for the city.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1424 posts
394 upvotes
GVRD
On my daily commute in/out of Vancouver using Oak Street the normal flow of traffic is about 65-70km/h in a posted 50km/h. Only an idiot drives the posted limit during this time.

Red Lights cameras are great but I think this is going to cause problems when drivers start slamming their brakes immediately before the intersections to avoid a speeding ticket
Dec 14, 2017
589 posts
627 upvotes
How about a **** cop patrolling HOV lanes on the #1 going Eastbound for the first **** time in a decade during rush hour. There's a **** idea for you, idiot NDP.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1190 upvotes
Vancouver
wonders if hackers to eliminate all
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
someone16 wrote: How do they even determine what accidents are due to "speed"? Technically speed is a factor in crashes 100% of them time... I go through several of those intersections every day and it's really not dangerous at all at current speeds (~80km/h). More to do with people not paying attention rather than speed limits. Also 50km/h is way too slow...makes me wonder if people that make these laws even drive.

I just hope there will be alot of signage otherwise this will just be a source of revenue for the city.
I would say that accidents are due to not 'speed' per se but the difference of the speed of an individual driver vs. the average speed of the pack which is usually combined with weaving in and out of traffic. That difference in speed may be positive (ie going too fast compared to the rest of the surrounding traffic) or negative (ie going too slow compared to the rest of the surrounding traffic).
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
iownyou wrote: Will Save Lives
Not necessarily.

You might have drivers who will suddenly slow down before a marked intersection causing potential problems for the driver behind them. The only thing you can definitely say is that it will increase revenues.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1791 posts
1181 upvotes
Vancouver
craftsman wrote: I would say that accidents are due to not 'speed' per se but the difference of the speed of an individual driver vs. the average speed of the pack which is usually combined with weaving in and out of traffic. That difference in speed may be positive (ie going too fast compared to the rest of the surrounding traffic) or negative (ie going too slow compared to the rest of the surrounding traffic).
Which is funny because it seems that the cameras will cause this exact situation as cars will now suddenly slow down on the intersection or you will end up having cars going faster due to not knowing the cameras are there.
Jun 11, 2015
500 posts
533 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The problem isn't that people are speeding. The problem is that arterial six lane roads have 50 kmph speed limits.
Dec 11, 2012
359 posts
168 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
chenwaa123 wrote: On my daily commute in/out of Vancouver using Oak Street the normal flow of traffic is about 65-70km/h in a posted 50km/h. Only an idiot drives the posted limit during this time.

Red Lights cameras are great but I think this is going to cause problems when drivers start slamming their brakes immediately before the intersections to avoid a speeding ticket
Hopefully the speed threshold will be around 25-30 km/h over the posted speed limit. I think we have to wait for the first 10-20 people to get their tickets so we can see the limit on those cameras lol
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
someone16 wrote: Which is funny because it seems that the cameras will cause this exact situation as cars will now suddenly slow down on the intersection or you will end up having cars going faster due to not knowing the cameras are there.
No argument here.

I saw the NDP government try to duck and weave through some of the grillings the reporters were giving them. I suspect that the government is starting to realize that this issue may not be a winner for them!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TWELVES wrote: The problem isn't that people are speeding. The problem is that arterial six lane roads have 50 kmph speed limits.
That's going to seem fast if the Vancouver city council have their way and make the limit for the side streets 30 km/h.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sokhangoo wrote: Hopefully the speed threshold will be around 25-30 km/h over the posted speed limit. I think we have to wait for the first 10-20 people to get their tickets so we can see the limit on those cameras lol
The government isn't saying what the threshold is...

They aren't even saying if the extra money will be staying with the local governments (as it is now)... I'll bet that the NDP government has already earmarked the money to pay for something that they have not yet announced.
Jun 11, 2015
500 posts
533 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
craftsman wrote: That's going to seem fast if the Vancouver city council have their way and make the limit for the side streets 30 km/h.
I'd be fine with 30kmph on undivided streets as long as the raised the speed limit on 4+ lane streets. The current system has residential sidestreets with the same speed limit as divided multilane arterial routes.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TWELVES wrote: I'd be fine with 30kmph on undivided streets as long as the raised the speed limit on 4+ lane streets. The current system has residential sidestreets with the same speed limit as divided multilane arterial routes.
Might be the thin end of the wedge... Of course, if they would synchronize the traffic lights so that the traffic flowed freer, we would have as many people running lights in order to make up time.