Automotive

BC Insurance question - Hubby hit a building!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2018 10:50 am
Jun 6, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
British Columbia
Messerschmitt wrote: Right, that makes sense, but did you ask if his abstract will show the accident at fault? Since, he was the done who did it?

Someones abstract will show an accident at fault, and I doubt it's you since you weren't in the driver seat.
No I didn’t but that’s a good idea. I’ll see what she says.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1424 posts
394 upvotes
GVRD
Messerschmitt wrote: Right, that makes sense, but did you ask if his abstract will show the accident at fault? Since, he was the done who did it?

Someones abstract will show an accident at fault, and I doubt it's you since you weren't in the driver seat.
It will show on his abstract. In fact, he can obtain one now on ICBC's web site.

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/g ... ecord.aspx
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
chenwaa123 wrote: It will show on his abstract. In fact, he can obtain one now on ICBC's web site.

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/g ... ecord.aspx
So then it will affect his own personal rates as well, if not with ICBC (because OP's policy got the at fault hit), then definitely with the rest of Canada if OP moves and wants to get his own policy under his name.

So, a double whamy
Jun 6, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
British Columbia
So now the property owners have come back to us and asked us to pay out of pocket. They said that because it's an older building, ICBC will not pay full repair amount and we'd have to pay the difference anyway and this will be cheaper for us since they found someone willing to do it cheaper under the table. I called our adjustor and confirmed that ICBC will pay a "depreciated" value and that they have a calculation that would take into account the age of the building. The owners also said that ICBC needs alot of documentation from them that they may not necessarily have and it will be less hassle for them this way.

We're a bit nervous about this because if we go through ICBC then everything is above-board and legal whereas if we pay out of pocket, we have no legal documentation and what if they come back at a later date and say that we owe more money? Any thoughts??
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
PhatOne wrote: So now the property owners have come back to us and asked us to pay out of pocket. They said that because it's an older building, ICBC will not pay full repair amount and we'd have to pay the difference anyway and this will be cheaper for us since they found someone willing to do it cheaper under the table. I called our adjustor and confirmed that ICBC will pay a "depreciated" value and that they have a calculation that would take into account the age of the building. The owners also said that ICBC needs alot of documentation from them that they may not necessarily have and it will be less hassle for them this way.

We're a bit nervous about this because if we go through ICBC then everything is above-board and legal whereas if we pay out of pocket, we have no legal documentation and what if they come back at a later date and say that we owe more money? Any thoughts??
I don't see why you have to pay the difference. Did ICBC say you have to pay the difference? How much are they asking for?

You can draft up a contract saying that you're paying for the repairs and say that it's based on the quote given by the contractor for the repairs. Make sure it says on there that you will not be liable for any extra amount exceed the repair order. If they say no, then say tough luck and go with ICBC. If it's going through ICBC, they can't ask you to pony up the difference, that's why you pay ICBC for insurance. Sounds like they are being shady and want to pocket your money since you mention there doesn't seem to be damage. If they go with ICBC, they get nothing. If you're repairing your own vehicle through ICBC, then there's no point paying out of pocket since your CRS rate is going down anyways. Not gonna make a difference.
Jun 6, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
British Columbia
bomber17 wrote: I don't see why you have to pay the difference. Did ICBC say you have to pay the difference? How much are they asking for?
They say that ICBC will only pay a % of the total quote so we'd have to pay the difference. Otherwise they'd be stuck paying the difference between the total cost and what ICBC covers and they're certainly not going to do that.

The ICBC adjustor confirmed that they have a calculation to depreciate the value of the material used in the repair since the building is not new so they have to depreciate to factor that in (no depreciation on labour though -- they pay full on that). She can't give us an exact amount because the owners haven't submitted quotes yet. As for who has to pay the difference, the adjustor said that it was between us and the property owners to negotiate.

The initial quote was $2400 but that's way overpriced. There are just a couple cracks in the stucco. No structural damage. The 2nd quote is $1000 cash and that's what they want us to pay. We still think that's way too much. We've asked around and people have said it should cost maybe $300 (not a professional opinion, just from friends who have done their own home repairs).
bomber17 wrote: You can draft up a contract saying that you're paying for the repairs and say that it's based on the quote given by the contractor for the repairs. Make sure it says on there that you will not be liable for any extra amount exceed the repair order. If they say no, then say tough luck and go with ICBC. If it's going through ICBC, they can't ask you to pony up the difference, that's why you pay ICBC for insurance. Sounds like they are being shady and want to pocket your money since you mention there doesn't seem to be damage. If they go with ICBC, they get nothing. If you're repairing your own vehicle through ICBC, then there's no point paying out of pocket since your CRS rate is going down anyways. Not gonna make a difference.
Thank you. That's good advice about the contract. That's what we're worried about. Even though they say that we just need to pay this and then everything is over and done with, we're worried that if there are any issues with the building in a year or so that they'll come back and say we need to cover it. They seem very nice and understanding now but who knows how people change when $$ is involved.

And that's also why we're debating re: going through ICBC. We should either do both through ICBC or neither. It doesn't make sense to only do one since our insurance will be affected anyway. The quote that we got for the car is $5000 so that's why we're leaning toward going through ICBC. I already asked the autobody repair shop if it would be cheaper to pay on our own but they said no.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)