[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3702 posts
436 upvotes
Scarborough

BC Joins Saskatchewan to resist the carbon tax

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau ... -1.3888244

Apparently, BC wasn't happy with JT approving the pipelines and have now changed their positions. They have joined together with Saskatchewan in opposing the revenue neutral carbon tax. I personally don't understand the issue with the carbon tax, it is immoral to continue going around business as usual, watching the rest of the world burn. Furthermore, the fact that the tax is revenue neutral means that almost everyone here except the few that are in the top income brackets, will get a cheque in the mail or direct deposit $$$ refunded to you, similar to how the GST/HST rebate works. So pretty much the affect on most canadians will be minimal.

I'm surprised with Albertans the most who are against this...this carbon tax means more money from the fossil fuel industry who pillages oil profits that belong to the public in the first place.
70 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1583 posts
247 upvotes
MB
Gasoline is way too cheap in Canada, this is why plethora of big polluters pickups on the streets.
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3887 posts
611 upvotes
It sounds like the issue for BC is that the Federal Government is allowing too much leeway between allowable schemes, and BC thinks the cap-and-trade systems will be a lesser tax than a flat one that they've implemented.
I'm surprised with Albertans the most who are against this...this carbon tax means more money from the fossil fuel industry who pillages oil profits that belong to the public in the first place.
The alleged oil profits have gone into high wages and salaries and the capital investments needed to get Alberta from <2 million barrels of oil production/day to almost 4 million.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3702 posts
436 upvotes
Scarborough
SLee wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 5:53 pm
It sounds like the issue for BC is that the Federal Government is allowing too much leeway between allowable schemes, and BC thinks the cap-and-trade systems will be a lesser tax than a flat one that they've implemented.

The alleged oil profits have gone into high wages and salaries and the capital investments needed to get Alberta from <2 million barrels of oil production/day to almost 4 million.
when the Alberta government/ corporations that run the oil field starts to be transparent about their profits that they make in Alberta, that's when you can start to trust them. Seeing how hard it is to find the actual revenue and profit numbers, i'm guessing these companies are minting $$$ pretty nicely. Otherwise, the $6 billion they spent on the oil pipeline extensions during this period of low oil prices wouldn't make any sense.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2991 posts
457 upvotes
How much does someone need to earn to be classified as a "high income earner" in your opinion?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3702 posts
436 upvotes
Scarborough
Blanche123 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 9:48 am
How much does someone need to earn to be classified as a "high income earner" in your opinion?
umm, the historical defenition is someone in the 4th quartile of income earners in Canada. That would probably include individuals that earn $80-90k and above or household income of more than $150k/year.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
207 upvotes
Does anyone Trust Clark nowadays. She will have election in few months right? So whatever she says is for her benefit and not for people in BC. And BC already has that tax right?
Climate is changing for sure. But this tax will help is not at all sure. It is gonna be expensive. By the way any dream involving Wynne is damn expensive. Help taxpayers? Not at least in Ontario.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12410 posts
1880 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I don't know what the OP is referring to. BC already has a carbon tax, and i don't see why we would resist the rest of Canada getting on board with this idea.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3702 posts
436 upvotes
Scarborough
RoverOne wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 10:49 am
Are you crazy? There's no such thing as a revenue neutral tax. All carbon taxes will do is raise the price of everything that we consume and the polluters will still pollute. What incentive do they have to curve their emissions if they can buy pollution credits, pollute, then charge their customers increased prices to make up the shortfall? Carbon schemes have been proven all around the world to be the biggest scams hoisted upon tax payers. Canada's carbon footprint is minuscule compared to China's and the U.S.A. All the carbon tax will do is siphon what little money taxpayers have left. You can't keep going to the well when it's dry.
Uhh canadas carbon footprint isn't minuscule at all. We have 35 million people and emit 2.5% of global emissions. India has 1.5 billion and only emits 4%. Our per capita emissions is disgustingly huge and to be honest it's because of Alberta pretty much. Without them, the rest of Canada pollutes maybe less than half of what we do now. Alberta has stuck to dirty coal for electricity for the longest time instead of switching to nuclear.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3702 posts
436 upvotes
Scarborough
blaznazn22 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 9:59 pm
Uhh canadas carbon footprint isn't minuscule at all. We have 35 million people and emit 2.5% of global emissions. India has 1.5 billion and only emits 4%. Our per capita emissions is disgustingly huge and to be honest it's because of Alberta pretty much. Without them, the rest of Canada pollutes maybe less than half of what we do now. Alberta has stuck to dirty coal for electricity for the longest time instead of switching to nuclear.

The best example of a revenue neutral carbon tax would be a decrease in income tax to offset the carbon tax. It's what BC did and it has been very successful. Their emissions have dropped while their economy has grown. I don't know why other provinces don't do the same thing.
Aug 4, 2003
597 posts
49 upvotes
Edmonton
how does getting a cheque in the mail for the majority help cut down on pollution? Shouldnt the tax be equal for everyone so everyone has a reason to go greener?
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
207 upvotes
trick91 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2016 11:23 am
how does getting a cheque in the mail for the majority help cut down on pollution? Shouldnt the tax be equal for everyone so everyone has a reason to go greener?
I am also confused how this will work.
Is every solution to every problem is Tax? And why always taxpayers will be on hook for everything but here in Ontario everyone in Government enjoys. courtesy of taxpayers even the contractors are enjoying. Here on Ontario already paying for green energy. Now we will pay on Natural gas from Jan 2017 right?
Its almost same in every province. Now BC( Or Vancouver) will use taxes to get more money for fentanyl crisis.
If raising Vancouver property taxes will address fentanyl crisis, it’s our duty
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Apr 1, 2013
439 posts
77 upvotes
BC
blaznazn22 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 9:59 pm
Would you prefer life style of India ? I don't India people (at least those live in N. America) would agree with you.

This carbon tax will kill our factories. Canada will have nothing but natural resource that we cannot extract and export. JT is going to bankrupt this country, foreigners will come buy our prime properties as their 2nd or 3rd homes.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5577 posts
2179 upvotes
Kingston, ON
BC already has a carbon tax. It was the first province to implement one.

Clark's concern is that the federal regime will be too flexible for different pricing schemes (ie Cap & Trade) and thus other provinces '$50/tne' won't be equivalent to the same with BC's pure carbon tax, creating an uneven playing field.

There's some merit to it. It's not blanket opposition to carbon tax or climate change denial.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3702 posts
436 upvotes
Scarborough
RoverOne wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 10:49 am
Are you crazy? There's no such thing as a revenue neutral tax. All carbon taxes will do is raise the price of everything that we consume and the polluters will still pollute. What incentive do they have to curve their emissions if they can buy pollution credits, pollute, then charge their customers increased prices to make up the shortfall? Carbon schemes have been proven all around the world to be the biggest scams hoisted upon tax payers. Canada's carbon footprint is minuscule compared to China's and the U.S.A. All the carbon tax will do is siphon what little money taxpayers have left. You can't keep going to the well when it's dry.
I didn't address a point you brought up about companies raising prices and lacking incentive to cut emissions. That isn't true and you and I both know it. The free market doesn't work like that unless there is only one company providing a service/goods, ie a monopoly. Competition is always a great thing, it means businesses that cut their expenses by spending capital on minimizing their CO2 footprint will survive while those who don't will die out. Either way, it's money spent in the economy and it's great for jobs.