Automotive

BC raising speed limits caused..

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 10:27 pm
Tags:
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7707 posts
3552 upvotes
Toronto
fattyburger11 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:09 pm
What's the hurry anyway? Most of the time, people who drive fast are in no time constraint nor have deadlines to meet. They will arrive at their destination 10 min faster than driving at the limit. Now what? Slack off in their office of course. Or stand in line at the restaurant checking their phones. But they would have used a hell of a lot more gas due to fuel inefficiency at those higher speeds to get to their destination needlessly faster than they really have to.

Most cars are most fuel efficient at around 75 km/hr The drag force is also proportional to the squared of the velocity. Which means the faster you go, the bigger the penalty is to your efficiency when drag becomes a huge factor in reducing MPG.

With my car, if I drive at 80km/hr I can coast the 401 with around 7 L/100km. If I drive at 90 km/hr it goes to 8L/100km. If I drive at 100 km/hr it is 8.5L/100km. Thats a huge difference. Ideally, if not for road rage, I'd drive at 80km/hr all day everyday. That fuel savings is huge, especially since i have to pump premium. It amounts to hundreds of dollars a year difference.

Liberals always talk about carbon tax carbon tax carbon tax. They should maybe focus on people's driving habits. Forcing people to use their cars at optimal fuel efficiency will do much more good to the environment than simply taxing fuel while people continue to drive at 120km/hr well above the speed limit and using up more fuel than they need for the distance traveled because their car is less efficient. They should be lowering the speed limit.
your car sucks big time then.
I regularly drive on the 401 at 140km/h and my fuel consumption is around 6.5L per 100km.... In fact there isn't much of an improvement going 120... and my car aint even that good. 1.8tsi jetta.
Member
Aug 26, 2018
356 posts
269 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:18 pm
your car sucks big time then.
I regularly drive on the 401 at 140km/h and my fuel consumption is around 6.5L per 100km.... In fact there isn't much of an improvement going 120... and my car aint even that good. 1.8tsi jetta.
Yeah it sucks. It's a gas guzzling premium fuel drinking SUV.

Doesn't change physics though. Drag force is much higher the faster you go. You with your superior 1.8tsi VW Jetta that takes regular fuel will be more fuel efficient at a lower speed too. The point is to drive at a car's optimal efficiency.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7707 posts
3552 upvotes
Toronto
fattyburger11 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:21 pm
Yeah it sucks. It's a gas guzzling premium fuel drinking SUV.

Doesn't change physics though. Drag force is much higher the faster you go. You with your superior 1.8tsi VW Jetta that takes regular fuel will be more fuel efficient at a lower speed too. The point is to drive at a car's optimal efficiency.
i put premium in it for lawls.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
8468 posts
1848 upvotes
eldiablo wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 12:26 pm
Wondering if this video had anything to do with the speed limit increase?

A very well thought out video.

Just because a few are too ******** to realise that in a MOUNTAIN ROAD environment you DON'T have to drive the speed limit when the WEATHER IS BAD, doesn't mean the posted limit needs to be lowered for the sheep.

Posted limit is that, MAXIMUM. Nobody is putting a gun to drivers head to drive at the MAXIMUM. And when you don't KEEP RIGHT.

Highways in Europe are 130km/h, including mountain (Greece, Italy, etc). 120km/h is a good speed on the highway in good weather condition.

If anything, all the other speed limits are stupidly slow, especially on highways in the prairies, and portions of the city.

That video you quotes shows some really good examples where speed limits are set stupid low for the road conditions (width, visibility, etc).

50km/h in DT Vancouver? Absolutely. 50km on Marine Way? No, that's ********.
Member
Aug 26, 2018
356 posts
269 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 10:40 pm
A very well thought out video.

Just because a few are too ******** to realise that in a MOUNTAIN ROAD environment you DON'T have to drive the speed limit when the WEATHER IS BAD, doesn't mean the posted limit needs to be lowered for the sheep.

Posted limit is that, MAXIMUM. Nobody is putting a gun to drivers head to drive at the MAXIMUM. And when you don't KEEP RIGHT.

Highways in Europe are 130km/h, including mountain (Greece, Italy, etc). 120km/h is a good speed on the highway in good weather condition.

If anything, all the other speed limits are stupidly slow, especially on highways in the prairies, and portions of the city.

That video you quotes shows some really good examples where speed limits are set stupid low for the road conditions (width, visibility, etc).

50km/h in DT Vancouver? Absolutely. 50km on Marine Way? No, that's ********.
Too idealistic. In the real world people will actually get pissed and may road rage you for doing the speed limit. Case in point, and not to choot my own horn, but I actually never drive over the speed limit. I drive at exactly 100 km/hr on the 401. My speedo is slightly slower than my actual GPS speed, so I tune the car to actual 100 KPH GPS speed. And people get pissed because everyone else drives at 120 KPH on the right lane. I've had people honk when they passed because I was doing 100 KPH at the posted speed limit.

The reality is, when the sign says 120 KPH limit, then people may go even faster than that in the real world. Everyone thinks they are special and everyone loves to break rules. And if you are doing 120 KPH on a 120 KPH zone? There is a segment of the population who will get angry at you for slowing them down because they want to go at 140 KPH unimpeded and was forced to lane change because of you doing 120 at the speed limit. And you're talking about doing 100 KPH on a 120 KPH posted zone? You can forget about it. Expect full on road rage and honking. That's like doing 70 KPH on the 401. Perfectly legal, but people will be very pissed at you.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
8468 posts
1848 upvotes
fattyburger11 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 10:46 pm
Too idealistic. In the real world people will actually get pissed and may road rage you for doing the speed limit. Case in point, and not to choot my own horn, but I actually never drive over the speed limit. I drive at exactly 100 km/hr on the 401. My speedo is slightly slower than my actual GPS speed, so I tune the car to actual 100 KPH GPS speed. And people get pissed because everyone else drives at 120 KPH on the right lane. I've had people honk when they passed because I was doing 100 KPH at the posted speed limit.

The reality is, when the sign says 120 KPH limit, then people may go even faster than that in the real world. Everyone thinks they are special and everyone loves to break rules. And if you are doing 120 KPH on a 120 KPH zone? There is a segment of the population who will get angry at you for slowing them down because they want to go at 140 KPH unimpeded and was forced to lane change because of you doing 120 at the speed limit. And you're talking about doing 100 KPH on a 120 KPH posted zone? You can forget about it. Expect full on road rage and honking. That's like doing 70 KPH on the 401. Perfectly legal, but people will be very pissed at you.
1. Do you keep right? I doubt people will honk you because you were driving too slow and were in the most right most lane.

2. And that's probably because 100km/h is stupidly slow on a divided highway such as 401. You have 2 lane roads (aka 1 lane each way) with 90km/h, but you have 100km/h on a what? 6 lanes or 8 lanes you GTA'ers have?

No wonder people might get pissed when you drive 100km/h even though you drive at the "limit". that's because the limit is stupid to begin with. I drive 120km/h when I drive the coq or Hwy 19 on Van Island, and I NEVER get honked. And I don't see people going 140km/h as you claim they might if they rise the speeds to 120. Heck, over 90% of cars drive +/- 5km/h. That's because Hwy 19 120km/h speed MAKES SENSE. I also drive between 100-110km/h on the same hwy's when it's night/wet (it rains a lot here). NEVER got honked. And I stay in the right lane...

Basically you get 1 news about a driver getting killed because he was too stupid and was driving too fast for the conditions, and everybody goes up in arms, when THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of cars go through those 120km/h stretches of hwy every day
Member
Aug 10, 2015
314 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
It's the people. When I was driving out in the prairies to Alberta the posted limit is 110 and everyone was going around 120-130 but it was flowing because the left lane people would pass and go back to the right lane. Here in Toronto, you got idiots going 90 in the left lane. Ridiculous.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7707 posts
3552 upvotes
Toronto
fattyburger11 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 10:46 pm
Too idealistic. In the real world people will actually get pissed and may road rage you for doing the speed limit. Case in point, and not to choot my own horn, but I actually never drive over the speed limit. I drive at exactly 100 km/hr on the 401. My speedo is slightly slower than my actual GPS speed, so I tune the car to actual 100 KPH GPS speed. And people get pissed because everyone else drives at 120 KPH on the right lane. I've had people honk when they passed because I was doing 100 KPH at the posted speed limit.

The reality is, when the sign says 120 KPH limit, then people may go even faster than that in the real world. Everyone thinks they are special and everyone loves to break rules. And if you are doing 120 KPH on a 120 KPH zone? There is a segment of the population who will get angry at you for slowing them down because they want to go at 140 KPH unimpeded and was forced to lane change because of you doing 120 at the speed limit. And you're talking about doing 100 KPH on a 120 KPH posted zone? You can forget about it. Expect full on road rage and honking. That's like doing 70 KPH on the 401. Perfectly legal, but people will be very pissed at you.
surprisingly, I too thought most people would drive faster than the posted speed limit. Then I went to Italy.. The speed limit on the highway is 130km/h. Guess what, majority of the cars on the highway were doing less than 120km/h. In fact, I would go as far to say that the average driver is travelling at 110 to 115 on a posted road with 130km.h.

my opinion on this is because realistically, most cars cruise comfortably, and it's easy enough to drive, when you're just cruising between 110-120. you can take turns with relative easy, car is easier to handle, less attention is needed, easier to read signs, and take exists, etc.

At 130km/h++++ the amount of attention you need to pay on the road increases exponentially. And most people are lazy drivers. You cannot drive your car at 150km/h, the same way you drive when you're lazing along at 115.

there were not a lot of cars going faster than 130km.h, I know this because I was practically one of the only cars that was going faster than this.. and I did a lot of highway driving.
Last edited by daivey on Oct 11th, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7707 posts
3552 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:00 pm
1. Do you keep right? I doubt people will honk you because you were driving too slow and were in the most right most lane.

2. And that's probably because 100km/h is stupidly slow on a divided highway such as 401. You have 2 lane roads (aka 1 lane each way) with 90km/h, but you have 100km/h on a what? 6 lanes or 8 lanes you GTA'ers have?

No wonder people might get pissed when you drive 100km/h even though you drive at the "limit". that's because the limit is stupid to begin with. I drive 120km/h when I drive the coq or Hwy 19 on Van Island, and I NEVER get honked. And I don't see people going 140km/h as you claim they might if they rise the speeds to 120. Heck, over 90% of cars drive +/- 5km/h. That's because Hwy 19 120km/h speed MAKES SENSE. I also drive between 100-110km/h on the same hwy's when it's night/wet (it rains a lot here). NEVER got honked. And I stay in the right lane...

Basically you get 1 news about a driver getting killed because he was too stupid and was driving too fast for the conditions, and everybody goes up in arms, when THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of cars go through those 120km/h stretches of hwy every day
pretty much. just like I noticed when I was in europe.
120km/h is a fair highway speed I believe. I really think that is a comfortable speed where the majority can travel at with relative safety and I think most people will not go faster than this. it's just to much effort like I said.

i watch a lot of people driving on highways.. and what u will notice when you are driving fast, like 140, etc, is a lot of cars will speed up to catch up with you.. but they can never maintain the speed. It's very interesting... and I attribute that to attention span/tiredness. When they are driving fast, they are not use to it, they have to be more attentive and it tires them out. You will see the type... the go fast, then they want to pass.. you let them pass then they just go slow.. and u pass them.. and then 10 minutes later they come rushing up behind u they want to go fast again... and they can't keep it consistent.
they can do 120 no problem.. but 140 tires them out.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
8468 posts
1848 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:54 pm
surprisingly, I too thought most people would drive faster than the posted speed limit. Then I went to Italy.. The speed limit on the highway is 130km/h. Guess what, majority of the cars on the highway were doing less than 120km/h. In fact, I would go as far to say that the average driver is travelling at 110 to 115 on a posted road with 130km.h.

my opinion on this is because realistically, most cars cruise comfortably, and it's easy enough to drive, when you're just cruising between 110-120. you can take turns with relative easy, car is easier to handle, less attention is needed, easier to read signs, and take exists, etc.

At 130km/h++++ the amount of attention you need to pay on the road increases exponentially. And most people are lazy drivers. You cannot drive your car at 150km/h, the same way you drive when you're lazing along at 115.

there were not a lot of cars going faster than 130km.h, I know this because I was practically one of the only cars that was going faster than this.. and I did a lot of highway driving.
Yep, same in Greece. I was passing so many cars doing the LIMIT at 130. I was mostly in the left lane to keep passing, and quickly going to the right when the odd car was getting closer to me to pass and going faster.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
9834 posts
1792 upvotes
Montréal
What can you say? I recall a Top Gear? episode showing how ppl get a driver's licence in Denmark? Norway? One of the northern European ones...was it Rakkinen(sp?) showing one of the hosts? I'm getting senile and forget lol. Anyway, my pt is that they undergo RIGOROUS training before getting licensed, flogging the car in the snow, etc. So, I'm not surprised when you guys say those Europeans are driving more efficiently and better than us, to put it lightly.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1111 posts
363 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If you see cars driving below or at speed limit on the Italian autostradas (or is it autopistas?), it's because of Safety Tutor. It has reportedly dramatically reduced deaths on Italian motorways.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7707 posts
3552 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 1:32 pm
If you see cars driving below or at speed limit on the Italian autostradas (or is it autopistas?), it's because of Safety Tutor. It has reportedly dramatically reduced deaths on Italian motorways.
The tutor system measures your average speed.
So I can blast around af 250km an hour for 10 minutes then go down to 90km for a few minutes and average speed reduced.

You can basically travel at 137 km/h and tutor won't bother you.

Most cars were doing 120 or less.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
2808 posts
1827 upvotes
Oakville, ON
To me, it isn’t the road or the limit - it’s the limit in that road. You can’t say a certain speed is best for all roads. Sounds like BC chose the wrong roads to raise the limit on. Or they should have done something around a varied limit by season or a varied limit by weather.

You don’t hear if mass carnage in the mid-West:

Portions of the Idaho, Montana, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming road networks have 80 mph (129 km/h) posted limits. The highest posted speed limit in the entire country can be found on the Texas State Highway 130, and it is 85 mph (137 km/h).

Seems to work ok there as they raised the limit on roads with grading conditions and traffic volume that can safely support it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2013
5314 posts
1920 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
smacd wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 3:25 pm
they've come from the lower mainland and don't have winter tires, just M+S.
Many don't even have M+S tires, they are running bald summer performance tires.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"

Top