Automotive

BC resident should pay Alberta speeding ticket?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2018 3:01 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver

BC resident should pay Alberta speeding ticket?

Darn it. Got a speeding ticket (via camera I assume) in Spruce Grove while driving to Edmonton this summer.

Going 73 km per hr in 60 km zone. $115.

I generally drive 5 to 15 km over 50 km per hr speed limit in the city.

I don't see too many people driving at the speed limit much any more, esp if driving conditions are good.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ignore it. Who cares!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver
EP32k2 wrote: Ignore it. Who cares!!!
If I don't pay
1) Can't register vehicle in Alberta
2) Can't get drivers license in Alberta
3) late pmt charge + possible other civil collection actions. I assume maybe debt will be sent to a collection agency.

1 & 2 I don't care about. It's 3 I am thinking about.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
do the crime, pay the fine.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
If you believe you shouldn't have to pay, don't pay.
Whatever happens after that is another RFD thread
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Speedy1 wrote: If I don't pay
3) late pmt charge + possible other civil collection actions. I assume maybe debt will be sent to a collection agency.

Not really sure what will happen to you, to be honest. As you said, here in Alberta, you can't renew your license or registration if you have outstanding fines attached. And there's no demerits or anything on your abstract when you get a photo radar ticket. As far as I know, they don't use collections, because they hold your license/registration hostage. However, for non-photo radar tickets, they can issue a "soft" warrant, so if you're caught for some other reason, you may not be driving away from the traffic stop yourself.

But the provinces DO share some information on tickets/violations. If I had to guess, I'd guess photo radar tickets wouldn't be on their radar (so to speak), however.

C
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: I don't see too many people driving at the speed limit much any more, esp if driving conditions are good.
True, but just because everyone is bending the rule slightly doesn't mean you can't be penalized for it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
Screw the man, those 'Speed Limit' are for chumps. Its just a way for them to pad the cities bottom line! ATTICA! ATTIC! ATTIC! [/s]

If you want to pay, pay. If you don't, roll the bones and see what happens.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
Speedy1 wrote: If I don't pay

Then why asking? You just answered yourself
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
kr0zet wrote: Screw the man, those 'Speed Limit' are for chumps. Its just a way for them to pad the cities bottom line! ATTICA! ATTIC! ATTIC! [/s]

If you want to pay, pay. If you don't, roll the bones and see what happens.
...And live with consequences
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2015
1037 posts
465 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Speedy1 wrote: Darn it. Got a speeding ticket (via camera I assume) in Spruce Grove while driving to Edmonton this summer.

Going 73 km per hr in 60 km zone. $115.

I generally drive 5 to 15 km over 50 km per hr speed limit in the city.

I don't see too many people driving at the speed limit much any more, esp if driving conditions are good.
For a mere $115, I wouldn't risk it. Basically, the cons > pros if you do not pay.

Ask yourself: what if you want to move to AB in the near or far future? What if this gets sent to collection? Too many negatives here for me.

Just pay the fine. Your username also implies that this isn't the first time you've been nailed for a ticket. LOL.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the link.

The letter states that there will be no demerit pts being assessed.

Can't remember the last time I got a speeding ticket. Must be at least 10 or 15 yrs. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Most times, if you are driving the speed limit, you are likely the slowest vehicle and holding up traffic.

Very unlikely I will be moving to AB.
Last edited by Speedy1 on Sep 26th, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
Speedy1 wrote: Thanks for the link.

The letter states that there will be no demerit pts being assessed.

Can't remember the last time I got a speeding ticket. Must be at least 10 or 15 yrs. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Most times, if you are driving the speed limit, you are likely the slowest vehicle and holding up traffic.
yes. You are right. But this does not make anybody above the law. You got caught. Probably just unlucky, but you got caught anywas ;)