• Dec 6th, 2018 2:53 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 11, 2007
321 posts
68 upvotes
bobbytomorow wrote:
Jul 5th, 2015 10:39 pm
I already stated why in my first post, there is no English on their website therefore I would rather pay more than to use them as a provider. This is Canada, if an ISP in Canada cannot use our official languages then as an English speaking Canadian I will bring my business elsewhere.

Is that clear enough for you?
It is Richmond, so Cantonese/Mandarin is unofficially the official language... LOL :D
Feb 27, 2003
436 posts
139 upvotes
Langley
bobbytomorow wrote:
Jul 5th, 2015 10:39 pm
This is Canada, if an ISP in Canada cannot use our official languages then as an English speaking Canadian I will bring my business elsewhere.

Is that clear enough for you?
Crystal, buddy.
Xphile. (as in 'X-files aficionado'..so yeah, I guess I am old..)
Sep 20, 2012
24 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
Suntel uses Shaw.
I am signing up and will get installation next week. I can post update after a few weeks if anyone's interested. or PM me

And, yes, I live in Richmond. Being an Asian, 100% understanding what's on their website....

Anyways, from what I know so far., They will give you a Thompson modem, TP-LINK router, and MINIX X5 Mini for TV, and a phone gateway.

What got me into it was the TV.... even though I am Chinese, and do watch chinese programming from time to time. I actually watch local tv a bit more.

competitor like CIK don't offer local TV, and Suntel's local TV programming is decent, comes with TSN, discovery, food channel and most are HD. some of them you would have to pay as theme pack with telus and shaw.

I hope this company works out... for $40 a month, if Tv is watchable, that's already a bonus for me, I could care less about home phone. If I'd have to buy a traditional phone first...

Finger cross, if i can get 25Mbps consistently, I'm happy.
Feb 27, 2003
436 posts
139 upvotes
Langley
Zerosystem wrote:
Jul 4th, 2015 5:49 pm
What sort of internet connection is this? Are they reselling Telus ADSL or Shaw Cable connections? And how does the TV work?
got a reply from them yesterday (emailed on siunday, so not bad.),
"Hi Mike,

Thank you for interest in Suntel services.

Attached please see a list of our channels provided with the $39.99 residential package. We provide the 25MB Internet through Shaw only.
If you have any question, please don’t hesitate contact us by phone.

Sincerely,
Andrew"

and they attached a .pdf of channels:
CCTV1 zònghé
CCTV2 cáijīng
CCTV3 zōngyì
CCTV4 zhōngwén guójì JET zònghé
CCTV5 tǐyù
CCTV6 diànyǐng
CCTV10 kējiào
CCTV11 xìqǔ MOMO qīnzǐ
CCTV12 shèhuì yǔ fǎ niándài MUCH
CCTV13 xīnwén
CCTV14 shào'ér
fú sī tǐyù 1
mín shì HD fú sī tǐyù 2
TVBS xīnwén
TVBS huānlè
CCTV fēngyún zúqiú
CCTV gāo'ěrfū wǎngqiú
CCTV jìngbào tǐyù
CCTV ōuzhōu zúqiú
High-definition TV channels table
China and Taiwan Vancouver
One television news TTV CTV
CTV eight first CTV2
CTS STV OMNI
PTV Global
ETTV Dongfeng TV City
Eastern Integrated Global Financial CBC
Eastern Financial News Ha MOVIES CHEK
Year news COOLTV
Disney METV
Transit news National Geographic Channel TSN
Zhongtian Integrated Discovery Channel SportsNet Pacific
Phoenix Chinese Channel Taichung Sky Entertainment Discovery Travel & Living
Phoenix TV FTV news Videoland Sports National Geography
Beijing TV FTV integrated TLC
Dragon TV HGTV
Hunan TV SET News Good News Food Network
Jiangsu TV Sanli will love the new era of television
Zhejiang TV Sanli Taiwan, Hong Kong, Los Angeles
Heilongjiang TV TVBS ATV ABC
Guangdong TV station ATV FOX Asia
Southern TV Hong Kong Phoenix TV station NBC
Pearl River Taiwan Videoland integrated HD Jade CBS
Videoland CW drama Jade
Videoland Japan ION Interactive News
Extraordinary news J2 UPN
Pearl extraordinary commercial PBS
Version 20150123
Comprehensive CCTV1
CCTV2 FINANCE
CCTV3 Arts
CCTV4 Chinese international integrated JET
CCTV5 Sports
CCTV6 movie
CCTV10 science
CCTV11 drama Parental MOMO
CCTV12 Society and Law's MUCH
CCTV13 News
CCTV14 Children
Fox Sports 1
FTV HD Fox Sports 2
TVBS news
TVBS joy
CCTV football situation
CCTV Golf Tennis
CCTV Sports Madden
CCTV European football

formatting sucks copy/pasted- several of the above are two per line, but i gotta goto work :)

not sure how the tv 'works',but it's probably iptv.
hope this helps.
Xphile. (as in 'X-files aficionado'..so yeah, I guess I am old..)
Sep 20, 2012
24 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
yes, it's IPTV.
you get a MINIX X5 mimi android box... the box is completely locked down. and they categorize channels by region, china/ HK/ TW/ local/ USA.
I found local tv is better in quality, I guess they got a deal with shaw for more direct feeds..... If you watch sport a lot, this may not be for you, the refresh rate would kill you, too much snowy picture when everything in the whole frame is moving.
[OP]
May 30, 2013
6 posts
Vancouver
Thanks For all your comment and for trying out.

I Think we will give them a try for a month. Hope it works in Burnaby / new West area.

Was Thinking of getting nakedadsl but pricing is the same.
Sep 20, 2012
24 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
Guys, just figure I could provide an update after installation. Using it for just one week.

start with installation,

- Suntel want us to use their own router mainly because the phone ATA adapter is configured in a way that it will only work properly with their config of router, I tried to use my own router, but I had an issue with incoming calls. The router is a TP-LINK which runs their homebrew firmware.

- I noticed that with wired connection, I could get 25Mbps to 30Mbps per they advertised, but with wifi, i could only get 10Mbps. I emailed them and ask them to unlock the restriction on wifi, they said there's none, but they do offer a better router with $100 more deposited. I then started using my own router, and was able to get better speed as wired connection. Customer service insist that users only need 5Mbps to watch online video, therefore 10Mbps is more than enough. However, It really depends on type of usage, if users start stream 4k from netflix, then I'm sure 10Mbps is not enough

- Regarding Tv, don't expect this will replace telus or shaw. It's targeting Chinese audience more, but compare to CIK or other reseller, they do have local tv and some US channels. Best part is that they have discovery/ nat geo/ food network/ and several sports channels. But watching sports can be frustrating, b/c of refresh rate. You would see snowy pictures because the whole screen is refreshing. If you watch something that doesn't refresh drastically, then it's manageable. Again, if you watch whole lot of TV, and tons of english channels, then this is not for you.

- More on TV, they give you a MINIX X5 Mini. It's an android box which was locked down by their IPTV launcher which launches only IPTV app. It's not whole lot you can do on the box. BUT I found that sometimes the launcher may not launch properly on startup, then it will go back to default launcher where you can install your own app and have a full android experience there.

Bottom line, i think Suntel is either for people who want to watch chinese TV who doesn't care whole lot of tv quality, but still requires stable internet connection

For me personally, I am a cord cutter, And all I care is the internet stability and speed. As long as I am getting decent speed, I don't care about TV and phone. I am also a minimalist, and I would rather not hooking up the tv box and phone adapter.

Speed seems to be stable for me so far. But it's like what you might expect with Shaw, bandwidth fluctuates from 15 to 30+.

cheers
Apr 11, 2007
321 posts
68 upvotes
Thanks for the update (actually thanked), how's the phone quality? Local and long distance.
stinghurt wrote:
Jul 15th, 2015 2:26 am
Guys, just figure I could provide an update after installation. Using it for just one week.

start with installation,

- Suntel want us to use their own router mainly because the phone ATA adapter is configured in a way that it will only work properly with their config of router, I tried to use my own router, but I had an issue with incoming calls. The router is a TP-LINK which runs their homebrew firmware.

- I noticed that with wired connection, I could get 25Mbps to 30Mbps per they advertised, but with wifi, i could only get 10Mbps. I emailed them and ask them to unlock the restriction on wifi, they said there's none, but they do offer a better router with $100 more deposited. I then started using my own router, and was able to get better speed as wired connection. Customer service insist that users only need 5Mbps to watch online video, therefore 10Mbps is more than enough. However, It really depends on type of usage, if users start stream 4k from netflix, then I'm sure 10Mbps is not enough

- Regarding Tv, don't expect this will replace telus or shaw. It's targeting Chinese audience more, but compare to CIK or other reseller, they do have local tv and some US channels. Best part is that they have discovery/ nat geo/ food network/ and several sports channels. But watching sports can be frustrating, b/c of refresh rate. You would see snowy pictures because the whole screen is refreshing. If you watch something that doesn't refresh drastically, then it's manageable. Again, if you watch whole lot of TV, and tons of english channels, then this is not for you.

- More on TV, they give you a MINIX X5 Mini. It's an android box which was locked down by their IPTV launcher which launches only IPTV app. It's not whole lot you can do on the box. BUT I found that sometimes the launcher may not launch properly on startup, then it will go back to default launcher where you can install your own app and have a full android experience there.

Bottom line, i think Suntel is either for people who want to watch chinese TV who doesn't care whole lot of tv quality, but still requires stable internet connection

For me personally, I am a cord cutter, And all I care is the internet stability and speed. As long as I am getting decent speed, I don't care about TV and phone. I am also a minimalist, and I would rather not hooking up the tv box and phone adapter.

Speed seems to be stable for me so far. But it's like what you might expect with Shaw, bandwidth fluctuates from 15 to 30+.

cheers
Mar 25, 2012
4 posts
VANCOUVER
Hi, Stinghurt
Is the suntel internet stability? do they change sometime? if yes, a lot or just little bit, I also like to sign their internet/tv/phone deal and is afraid if internet is not stability. Thanks for your update.
Sep 20, 2012
24 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
chenw88 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2015 1:08 am
Hi, Stinghurt
Is the suntel internet stability? do they change sometime? if yes, a lot or just little bit, I also like to sign their internet/tv/phone deal and is afraid if internet is not stability. Thanks for your update.
I would say, the speed is between 15Mbps to 30Mbps and their advertised speed is 25Mbps.

I believe they are utilizing older infrastructure from shaw, therefore, expectation shouldn't be even as shaw or telus..........

Imagine internet service 5 years ago, if you remember how it was and were satisfied with it, then this should work for you.
Aug 19, 2014
216 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
why choose suntel? mandatory all-in-one bundle with no local channel...at least cik had local channel in bc
[OP]
May 30, 2013
6 posts
Vancouver
Stinghurt: how is the service and speed now? will you keep it or refund it? are you in apartment or house?

the shaw tech missed my appt yesterday, suntel still working to get another schedule now.
Mar 25, 2012
4 posts
VANCOUVER
hi, everyone
I decide to join suntel two weeks ago, they will come to install in 2 weeks. I guess with suntel unlimited data, I don't have to worry about my usage, I got $15 extra charge by telus for over-limit their 250G. Suntel also has sports channels like tsn and sportnet and us channels like abc, nbc, cbs, fox..., I just hope the internet speed rate don't change too much
Nov 9, 2013
223 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have been using Suntel almost a month now... I've been doing a speed test every week and it's been slowly decreasing. So much for 25...

First week ~16mbps
Second week ~11mbps
Last night ~7.5mbps

That said, I live in an apartment and I can't be sure where the bottleneck for speed is, but I do know when I was with Shaw before it was faster for sure. I'm still able to watch Netflix and such but the decrease in speed is definitely noticeable.

For the phone and TV, I'm not going to comment because I use neither of those... lol