• Dec 6th, 2018 2:53 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 14, 2015
162 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hello,
I am debating on signing up with SUNTEL or SURF INTERNET.
They both seem comparible price wise, but seems like
SURF I you pay for the equipment and own it.

does SUNTEL have equipment rental fees? I see 150$ equipment deposit and no install fees waived? Does that mean the shaw install fee is waived?

They seem very similar, although SUNTEL tv channel line up seems to have more. including local sportsnet and tsn!
Having Asian channels Chinese isn't a big thing but would be nice to have. Do they just setup PPTV and Youku for the Chinese channels?

Thanks
Feb 8, 2015
65 posts
9 upvotes
White Rock, BC
if you guys looking for perfect, Shaw/Telus lik TV, don't bother.. if you're into Asian TV you can consider... it's great for my parents but not for me..

as far as internet goes, Suntel gives out one of the best modem availalbe to be used on Shaw network, but don't count on their regular 150M router to satisfy your WIFI need especially if you live in a house.. but why would anyone must have full 30M access to the Internet from their phone through WIFI is beyond me..

don't know about Surf but given the $50 modem pricing, I don't think they're giving the same level of modem that Suntel does..
frankly, i won't use anyone that force me to buy their modem, especially CIK when they give out crappy Huawei modem that Shaw no longer recommend using anymore..

Their Internet offer is same as Surf $39.99
$100 hardware deposit
$80 network activation fee

I installed myself, which is just like 2 minutes of plug and play.....
Sep 14, 2015
162 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for your feedback. I will probably go with SunTel because at least it will be a 1 year price guarantee.

Surf plan will not change for at least 6 months.

Suntel Cyper TV has sportsnet and tsn.
Surf doesn't have any sports channels.

braliao wrote:
Mar 25th, 2016 3:25 am
if you guys looking for perfect, Shaw/Telus lik TV, don't bother.. if you're into Asian TV you can consider... it's great for my parents but not for me..

as far as internet goes, Suntel gives out one of the best modem availalbe to be used on Shaw network, but don't count on their regular 150M router to satisfy your WIFI need especially if you live in a house.. but why would anyone must have full 30M access to the Internet from their phone through WIFI is beyond me..

don't know about Surf but given the $50 modem pricing, I don't think they're giving the same level of modem that Suntel does..
frankly, i won't use anyone that force me to buy their modem, especially CIK when they give out crappy Huawei modem that Shaw no longer recommend using anymore..

Their Internet offer is same as Surf $39.99
$100 hardware deposit
$80 network activation fee

I installed myself, which is just like 2 minutes of plug and play.....
Oct 4, 2010
361 posts
98 upvotes
Surrey
I just switched to Suntel yesterday with the one year prepaid. About $50/month before setup fees/deposits. So far so good with the internet, it's fast. Here it is tested over wifi:
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/5240629513.png[/IMG]

There was some hiccups at the beginning with getting the phone number ported but was fixed. The TV is streamed through an android box which is passable, but not perfect HD like Telus or Shaw. Some buffering pauses now and then with the TV but I think I will try a power outlet LAN cable connection to make it more stable. We are waiting for them to replace the android box with one that has the CiperTV, they said they were out of stock and we have to wait a week or so.

The phone service is not as good as traditional Telus landland, as you can hear some distortion static in the back.

Will report back after a few weeks of usage.
Sep 14, 2015
162 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
So about 3 weeks ago I was debating between Surf Internet and also another Shaw reseller named SunTel Internet.
If it is just internet, I am sure the speed is the same.

When I do speedtest with my Suntel connection, I get 30-35MB/s results. When I use uTorrent to dl I am getting 1-2mb/s, much faster than my previous Shaw 15 plan. So far no service interruptions that I noticed.

Some users in here like myself wanted to be able to watch sports, Suntel does have Sportsnet and TSN1 in their tv lineup.
I chose the 12 mth promo where for $49.99/mth, you get Internet 30MB, phone (got a new number) and IPTV.
This promo pretty much gives you the IPTV, and phone for only $10 more/mth!
Suntel does seem to cater the Asian clientel as also include a bunch of Chinese channels. SunTel does have more local channels vs Surf's channel lineup.
I did notice that one of the Chinese channels did play euro soccer. but you can also stream the international sports games with kodi I believe.

Difference:
Surf makes you pay for modem and android tv box. Deposit on router and phone modem.
Pay monthly. Monthly rate will not change for at least 6 months.

SunTel only wants desposit for equipment.
Pre pay for full year. guaranteed rate.

I didn't wanna keep wagon jumping from provider to provider so chose Suntel and a 12 month rate guarantee if you wanna look at it that way.
Surf said it takes time to add licenses to get more channels. so hopefully by next year, they will be more competitive with the channel line up.

Will add more when anything comes to mind. So In my opinion, you get more with Suntel for the price. Chinese channels isn't as important to me, but interesting to browse through them.
Oct 4, 2010
361 posts
98 upvotes
Surrey
HI, did Suntel give you the Ciper TV bar, or a regular Android box? They were out of stock on the Cipher TV bar. The Cipher TV bar is a lot more clearer in quality for watching the local channels, so thought I'd let you know since we both signed up around the same time. I'm still waiting for the Cipher TV box which I'm on the waitlist.
pureenergon2 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 3:26 pm
So about 3 weeks ago I was debating between Surf Internet and also another Shaw reseller named SunTel Internet.
If it is just internet, I am sure the speed is the same.

When I do speedtest with my Suntel connection, I get 30-35MB/s results. When I use uTorrent to dl I am getting 1-2mb/s, much faster than my previous Shaw 15 plan. So far no service interruptions that I noticed.

Some users in here like myself wanted to be able to watch sports, Suntel does have Sportsnet and TSN1 in their tv lineup.
I chose the 12 mth promo where for $49.99/mth, you get Internet 30MB, phone (got a new number) and IPTV.
This promo pretty much gives you the IPTV, and phone for only $10 more/mth!
Suntel does seem to cater the Asian clientel as also include a bunch of Chinese channels. SunTel does have more local channels vs Surf's channel lineup.
I did notice that one of the Chinese channels did play euro soccer. but you can also stream the international sports games with kodi I believe.

Difference:
Surf makes you pay for modem and android tv box. Deposit on router and phone modem.
Pay monthly. Monthly rate will not change for at least 6 months.

SunTel only wants desposit for equipment.
Pre pay for full year. guaranteed rate.

I didn't wanna keep wagon jumping from provider to provider so chose Suntel and a 12 month rate guarantee if you wanna look at it that way.
Surf said it takes time to add licenses to get more channels. so hopefully by next year, they will be more competitive with the channel line up.

Will add more when anything comes to mind. So In my opinion, you get more with Suntel for the price. Chinese channels isn't as important to me, but interesting to browse through them.
Sep 14, 2015
162 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
matrixfwd wrote:
Apr 25th, 2016 7:19 pm
HI, did Suntel give you the Ciper TV bar, or a regular Android box? They were out of stock on the Cipher TV bar. The Cipher TV bar is a lot more clearer in quality for watching the local channels, so thought I'd let you know since we both signed up around the same time. I'm still waiting for the Cipher TV box which I'm on the waitlist.
Hmm. I just looked and I got a Q72G Android box. I should call in for a Cipher TV Bar then. One CTV channel I think just has a loud annoying sound and have to change out of it each time. some of the Asian channels don't even load.
TV quality is half HD quality, half SD equivalent.
I also got the Technicolor TC4300 Internet Modem. I never heard of this brand before, it seems the Suntel Installer crossed out what originally would been a Thomson DCM475 internet modem.
Wifi Router is the TPLink TL-WR841N. Seems to work fine overall for Internet speed.

Has anyone figured out how to install and setup free iptv on android boxes? I am already getting my money's worth with the $49.99 "triple-play" equivalent. but in a year time, theoretically can drop down to the $39.99 30MB plan and buy the same Android Box Q72A for $30 or so online and just setup IPTV program
Oct 4, 2010
361 posts
98 upvotes
Surrey
You can give your extra android boxes to Suntel they will add in the IPTV app for you no charge. I think 3 is the limit.
Feb 8, 2015
65 posts
9 upvotes
White Rock, BC
pureenergon2 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2016 1:32 am
I also got the Technicolor TC4300 Internet Modem. I never heard of this brand before, it seems the Suntel Installer crossed out what originally would been a Thomson DCM475 internet modem.
Technicolor is the company that bought out Thomson. It is more or less the same as DCM475, and is the version that will go up to 24 channels bonding instead of just 8 like those outdated Huawei modems. This is the THE modem to get if you want to have quality Internet service.

This modem retails over $100 in most place last time I check, and even wholesale price isn't too far off. So for Suntel to provide such good quality modem is a big thumbs up.
May 4, 2005
96 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
I just had suntel installed at my place yesterday. I was given the techicolor modem, TP-LINK TL-WR841N, the Q7 android tv box, and the cisco phone modem.

So far, internet is pretty good, 25MB down and 5MB up, tested on an iPhone. The router is unexpectedly powerful; it covers my whole place. I haven't tried the Q7 android box yet. Phone quality is pretty good too.

Is CipherTV suppose to be better? Comparing the specs of the CipherTV and the Q7 android box, they are pretty much the same. So isn't the quality of the feed more important?
Sep 14, 2015
162 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I don't know if my comments next are negative for Suntel quality, or software app quality

Speed seems great on speedtest.net

Downloading torrents are considerably faster. Maybe i am missing a setting or its uTorrent App on my PC but i now get 1-3mb/s download average.
Its not 30mb/s but its lot faster as well than before when i was only getting maybe 50-100kb/s when i was on shaw 15 plan.

While using Kodi, i will experience lot of lag or buffering ever so often when streaming a movie or tv show on 1channel. Maybe it is the host that i am streaming it from? or the android box q7 i was given to use.

Also the installer recommended wifi connection with my android tv box vs physical Ethernet plugged in. Obviously Ethernet connection > Wifi

Anyone can answer this?
Is it to avoid download infringement issues?
Oct 4, 2010
361 posts
98 upvotes
Surrey
My installer helped install my own android box with a cable. He said it's more stable. Their own android box is setup using WiFi just because it's not close to a lan cable.

I do get buffering when watching their TV apps so what you are seeing in Kodi is probably normal.
Feb 8, 2015
65 posts
9 upvotes
White Rock, BC
pureenergon2 wrote:
May 5th, 2016 3:35 pm
I don't know if my comments next are negative for Suntel quality, or software app quality

Speed seems great on speedtest.net

Downloading torrents are considerably faster. Maybe i am missing a setting or its uTorrent App on my PC but i now get 1-3mb/s download average.
Its not 30mb/s but its lot faster as well than before when i was only getting maybe 50-100kb/s when i was on shaw 15 plan.
You need to double check the measurement unit. ALL ISP advertise speed in megaBITS, and my old experience with uTorrent is they display in megaBYTE. 1 megaBYTE = 8 megaBITS. So when uTorrent running at 3MB/s, you're already occupied 2/3 of your available bandwidth at 24Mb/s.

pureenergon2 wrote:
May 5th, 2016 3:35 pm

While using Kodi, i will experience lot of lag or buffering ever so often when streaming a movie or tv show on 1channel. Maybe it is the host that i am streaming it from? or the android box q7 i was given to use.

Also the installer recommended wifi connection with my android tv box vs physical Ethernet plugged in. Obviously Ethernet connection > Wifi

Anyone can answer this?
Is it to avoid download infringement issues?
Don't expect to P2P and have a good connection speed doing anything else. Unless you cap it, P2P will eat up any available bandwidth you get. This will make streaming difficult even when you connect by Ethernet.
Sep 14, 2015
162 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
braliao wrote:
May 6th, 2016 12:41 am
You need to double check the measurement unit. ALL ISP advertise speed in megaBITS, and my old experience with uTorrent is they display in megaBYTE. 1 megaBYTE = 8 megaBITS. So when uTorrent running at 3MB/s, you're already occupied 2/3 of your available bandwidth at 24Mb/s.

Don't expect to P2P and have a good connection speed doing anything else. Unless you cap it, P2P will eat up any available bandwidth you get. This will make streaming difficult even when you connect by Ethernet.

Thanks for the explaination.
I am now waiting for a cypher tv bar.

Theoretically,
If you buy/get Suntel to add their IPTV app your own android box, can it work anywhere that has internet? even someone else's home? work?
Sep 2, 2013
189 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
matrixfwd wrote:
May 5th, 2016 4:55 pm
My installer helped install my own android box with a cable. He said it's more stable. Their own android box is setup using WiFi just because it's not close to a lan cable.

I do get buffering when watching their TV apps so what you are seeing in Kodi is probably normal.
Is the setup on your own android box just a APK copying over?