• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 2:53 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 22, 2001
811 posts
277 upvotes
Vancouver
My in-laws recently switched from Shaw to SunTel Networks. I haven't tested it extensively as I am not there that often. My initial observations:

The setup includes a Technicolor modem and a D-Link AC router plus three Daimai TV boxes.
The Daimai TV boxes are very slow to boot. For those boxes not close to the router, they receive Internet via Powerline adapters. There is frequent "buffering" when watching TV except for the box connected directly to their D-Link router. When not buffering the image doesn't exactly look HD to me, but it's better than SD. There are a lot of channels.
For one of the TVs, the installer connected my in-law's existing Asus RT-N66U to a Powerline adapter, and then a Daimai TV box to the Asus router. He left the cable running across the carpet instead of even trying to conceal it. So now a weak Powerline signal is fed into a redundant wireless router (SunTel's D-Link router is also broadcasting a Wi-Fi signal) which then splits a very weak signal to the TV box? No wonder it's always buffering! Not sure why they would do that.
The D-Link Wi-Fi signal is weak. It cannot reach the basement on the opposite side of the house. However, the Asus RT-N66U can reach it, albeit not with a super strong signal.
I actually didn't get a chance to see how the phone is set up. Their phone service is just terrible. There is constant echo and background hiss. That's when it doesn't cut off entirely. More than a few times I have found myself talking to myself and then saying, "Hello? Hello?" as my in-law's line has suddenly disconnected without any warning! Completely unreliable!

Pros: You save a lot of money.
Cons: You get what you pay for.

With such shoddy installation work and quality, I'm not sure I would be comfortable paying these guys 2 years prepaid!
Oct 4, 2010
361 posts
98 upvotes
Surrey
What speeds are you getting with speed test?

I'm buffering a lot. In West Richmond.
May 12, 2017
10 posts
Speedtest wise, I am getting 67 down and 6ish up. I don't think the buffering has anything to do with my internet speed. It probably has to do with their streaming server bandwidth.
Feb 8, 2015
65 posts
9 upvotes
White Rock, BC
I have two Damai box with them after upgrading. My mother in law has no issue watching her live TV stuffs. I have issue watching Damai video on demand stuffs as it buffers. Both are only connected by wire as WIFI is just bad in my neighborhood. I called them about Damai video on demand stuffs and they're say it is a known issue for about a week or so and they're working with Damai to resolve it. So if this is your problem, I would suggest calling them about this to give them more pressure to resolve the issue ASAP.
SnipperX wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 10:42 pm
Speedtest wise, I am getting 67 down and 6ish up. I don't think the buffering has anything to do with my internet speed. It probably has to do with their streaming server bandwidth.
Feb 8, 2015
65 posts
9 upvotes
White Rock, BC
From my first on board with Suntel, I already being telling people don't use their WIFI router. With their service price so low, what make you think they would give you WIFI router that would cost more than $50 retail?? I know they give out DLINK DIR-842 now which much better than TPLINK stuffs before. But it is still not comparable to my current router TPLINK C7 which cost about $100 retail.

Damai is very slow to boot up, the easiest solution - just don't turn it off! There is a auto shut off timer in the setting, change that to 24 hours and no more complain from my mother-in-law.

Don't bother with powerline if it is not working. Give it back to them and get that $50 deposit back. I tried it for a friend and the speed is just not good. Not powerline's fault, as it is very dependent on the electrical circuit of the house. I would suggest that installing MOCA adapter would work much much better.

Since VOIP is my field, I can tell you that 99% of the time, the echo and background noise is usually caused by bad phone cable or wiring in the house. In some cases, it can even be the phone set. With fast internet, there is no compression anymore on local and calls in north america, so typical quality issue caused by compression will not happen anymore. I would suggest that you plug a phone directly into their phone box and you would be able to see if your phone line wiring or phone set is the issue.
AEmgee wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 12:34 am
My in-laws recently switched from Shaw to SunTel Networks. I haven't tested it extensively as I am not there that often. My initial observations:

The setup includes a Technicolor modem and a D-Link AC router plus three Daimai TV boxes.
The Daimai TV boxes are very slow to boot. For those boxes not close to the router, they receive Internet via Powerline adapters. There is frequent "buffering" when watching TV except for the box connected directly to their D-Link router. When not buffering the image doesn't exactly look HD to me, but it's better than SD. There are a lot of channels.
For one of the TVs, the installer connected my in-law's existing Asus RT-N66U to a Powerline adapter, and then a Daimai TV box to the Asus router. He left the cable running across the carpet instead of even trying to conceal it. So now a weak Powerline signal is fed into a redundant wireless router (SunTel's D-Link router is also broadcasting a Wi-Fi signal) which then splits a very weak signal to the TV box? No wonder it's always buffering! Not sure why they would do that.
The D-Link Wi-Fi signal is weak. It cannot reach the basement on the opposite side of the house. However, the Asus RT-N66U can reach it, albeit not with a super strong signal.
I actually didn't get a chance to see how the phone is set up. Their phone service is just terrible. There is constant echo and background hiss. That's when it doesn't cut off entirely. More than a few times I have found myself talking to myself and then saying, "Hello? Hello?" as my in-law's line has suddenly disconnected without any warning! Completely unreliable!

Pros: You save a lot of money.
Cons: You get what you pay for.

With such shoddy installation work and quality, I'm not sure I would be comfortable paying these guys 2 years prepaid!
Oct 4, 2010
361 posts
98 upvotes
Surrey
What speed tests are you getting from the box directly? I got 2 different android boxes and they are both getting 15-20 while my computer or phone van get Max 30.

I also switched to the c7 recently after rfd suggestions and things are more stable. What apps are they installing these days for you for TV streaming?
May 12, 2017
10 posts
I am offered to upgrade my internet from 60M to 150M if I prepay another year and a half. I think i will just pass on that. I don't even think my WIFI can go that fast. Let alone most of the places don't through the internet don't transfer that fast. I will be more interested if they can offer me another Damai tv box.
Feb 8, 2015
65 posts
9 upvotes
White Rock, BC
Why don't you ask them?
SnipperX wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 7:26 pm
I am offered to upgrade my internet from 60M to 150M if I prepay another year and a half. I think i will just pass on that. I don't even think my WIFI can go that fast. Let alone most of the places don't through the internet don't transfer that fast. I will be more interested if they can offer me another Damai tv box.
May 1, 2018
1 posts
I've been with suntel for almost one year prepaid..i have internet 30
Which is very glitchie im finding myself having to unplug router and then plugging it in again other than that it's not bad...also get about 70 streaming channels none which are sports I find my self streaming off of roku for sportz..home phone works good ..will probably go with just internet and home phone next time round can't beat the price $975 for the whole year ..if i was still with Shaw I would of paid about $2000 per year .one more thing to add suntel customer support crew are chinese heavy accent ..good luck
Mar 7, 2017
14 posts
Questions for Suntel users here.
I am looking for internet only. possible 150MB
Suntel using Shaw's hardware lines. Any problem with the modem/ internet? I have my own router.

Thanks for the comment
May 12, 2017
10 posts
Very slow internet at night between 9 to 12. Avg ping time is over 80ms, less than 10 mbps for a 60 mbps plan!! I complained to their CSR, and they try to put the blame to Shaw, saying it will be fixed in a few weeks later which out given a definite date. I can definitely tell that is a lie at that point. So, I started to some test from my side and also verified with my neighbor's Shaw network. The shaw internet connection my next door show no fault at all and was doing 13ms and 85mbps at that period of time. So, I did more investigation. What I can see that is that Suntel's gateway at Universe (a Vancouver co-location hosting provider) is basically chocking. That means Suntel is over subscribing without upgrading their infrastructure.

My Test
$> pathping /n 70.79.160.xx

Tracing route to 70.79.160.xx over a maximum of 30 hops

0 192.168.0.108
1 192.168.0.1
2 96.49.0.1
3 207.200.129.237
4 216.113.197.117
5 216.113.192.209
6 206.223.127.2
7 64.59.147.150
8 70.79.160.xx

Computing statistics for 200 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 192.168.0.108
0/ 100 = 0% |
1 3ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 192.168.0.1
0/ 100 = 0% |
2 12ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 96.49.0.1
0/ 100 = 0% |
3 14ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 207.200.129.237
0/ 100 = 0% |
4 84ms 1/ 100 = 1% 1/ 100 = 1% 216.113.197.117
0/ 100 = 0% |
5 88ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 216.113.192.209
0/ 100 = 0% |
6 40ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 206.223.127.2
0/ 100 = 0% |
7 13ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 64.59.147.150
0/ 100 = 0% |
8 22ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 70.79.160.xx

Trace complete.

216.113.197.117 = Uniserve On Line (https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-216 ... 13.197.117)

$> ping 216.113.197.117 -n 100

Average Ping Time: 83ms to 95ms

Edit: Looks like it no longer an issue. Fast internet once again 75mbps and 12ms ping time. Neither their provider at Uniserve upgraded their hardware or Suntel simply moved up to a better Uniserve package to better serve their customers expansion.
May 28, 2016
245 posts
67 upvotes
SnipperX wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 7:01 pm
Very slow internet at night between 9 to 12. Avg ping time is over 80ms, less than 10 mbps for a 60 mbps plan!! I complained to their CSR, and they try to put the blame to Shaw, saying it will be fixed in a few weeks later which out given a definite date. I can definitely tell that is a lie at that point. So, I started to some test from my side and also verified with my neighbor's Shaw network. The shaw internet connection my next door show no fault at all and was doing 13ms and 85mbps at that period of time. So, I did more investigation. What I can see that is that Suntel's gateway at Universe (a Vancouver co-location hosting provider) is basically chocking. That means Suntel is over subscribing without upgrading their infrastructure.

My Test

216.113.197.117 = Uniserve On Line (https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-216 ... 13.197.117)

$> ping 216.113.197.117 -n 100

Average Ping Time: 83ms to 95ms

Edit: Looks like it no longer an issue. Fast internet once again 75mbps and 12ms ping time. Neither their provider at Uniserve upgraded their hardware or Suntel simply moved up to a better Uniserve package to better serve their customers expansion.
How is it now?
have you upgrade to their tv,phone, internet all in one for $59.99?