Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
2 upvotes

BCS explaination

now i know traditionally the rose bowl has been the PAC-10 champions Vs. the Big 10 champions but this year USC is in the national championship game.
do all 4 major bowl games get the same amount of sponsorship and money to the schools? i always thought the Rose got the most, if so, even tho it's for the national title, wouldn't it be more beneficial to the school to play in the Rose bowl instead?
what happens when the national title game is the rose bowl that year? what happens to the PAC-10 champs and the Big -10 champs? do they just get ripped out of a rose bowl appearance?
is there a standard on invitiations to games which don't involve the national title or the Rose, such as the fiesta, orange, sugar (whichever isn't the national title game that year) or do they just pick anybody they feel like?
and what about the other bowl games? how are the invitations done? is there any standard at all?
and why don't they have 2 winless teams play in a game called the toilet bowl?
im sure it'll get enough ratings to make a profit, afterall it's football.

also what exactly happens when 2 schools split the national title? i knwo they're recognized as national champs but is there actually something that they share? a trophy or a ring? or do they just have the memories and are never seen again in the football world, like Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf and Al Bundy (highschool)
14 replies
Deal Addict
May 9, 2001
1549 posts
59 upvotes
Yah it happened what, 3-4 years ago now where they had a non Big-10 nor Pac 10 playing for the National Champeenship at the Rose Bowl.
I'm on the road to 5000...
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2003
1027 posts
4 upvotes
i always thought the Rose got the most, if so, even tho it's for the national title, wouldn't it be more beneficial to the school to play in the Rose bowl instead?

Money isn't the only thing that is considered by the schools. The school's recruiting is helped immensly by winning or playing for a National Championship. Every team in the country is playing so that they can be called "National Champs". That precedes Rose Bowl champs or anything else.
what happens when the national title game is the rose bowl that year? what happens to the PAC-10 champs and the Big -10 champs? do they just get ripped out of a rose bowl appearance?

Yes, unless they happen to be the teams ranked 1 and 2 in the BCS.
s there a standard on invitiations to games which don't involve the national title or the Rose, such as the fiesta, orange, sugar (whichever isn't the national title game that year) or do they just pick anybody they feel like?
The top team in each of the Big10, Big12, ACC, SEC, PAC10 and BigEast are assured 1 of the 8 BCS spots. That leaves 2 spots left. If a non-major conference team is ranked 6th or better in the BCS, they are also guaranteed a spot. After you consider those stipulations, outside of the National chapionship game (1 vs. 2), the major bowls can choose who they want to invite. The Rose Bowl is the only one that states that it will choose Big10 champ vs. Pac10 champ outside of the Championship match. The other bowls usually choose a match-up that will create a big draw in their region. For example, The Orange Bowl(Miami, FL) likes to choose teams from the southeast region, The SugarBowl(New Orleans, LA) likes teams from the lower midwest, The FiestaBowl(Tempe, AR) likes teams from the southwest.
and what about the other bowl games? how are the invitations done? is there any standard at all?

This link explains the conference tie-ins for the rest of the bowl games. There are a lot of remaining bowl games so I didn't want to type out the explanation. :lol:

also what exactly happens when 2 schools split the national title? i knwo they're recognized as national champs but is there actually something that they share? a trophy or a ring?
The winner of the National Championship game automatically gets the Sears National Championship Trophy
awarded by the USA Today/ESPN Coaches' Poll. The Associated Press, which has their own poll and trophy,
is not bound by any BCS contract. Therefore, the AP can name whomever they want as national champions and can cause a split national championship(those bastards). The national championship team(s) do get rings as well.
Oct 17, 2002
565 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Since there seems to be some interest in NCAA...
Anyone here ever been to a college ball game before?

The atmosphere during those games (I was at the Big House) is just amazing... I dont even think a soldout ACC during game 7 of the stanely cup playoffs would even come close.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2003
1027 posts
4 upvotes
KennyX wrote:Since there seems to be some interest in NCAA...
Anyone here ever been to a college ball game before?
There's nothing like experiencing 110,000+ fans packed into the BIG HOUSE singing "Hail to the Victors". Let's Go Blue!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
2 upvotes
oh i think i get it now
so the only team that really got shafted was Calfornia.
the fiesta was the only one that was open pickings right? since they lost oklahoma to the national championship game, and couldn't pick Auburn(Sugar Reps) they could've picked anyone, so they were left with Utah, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, or anyone else most notably, Cal, but decided to go with Utah, but what confuses me is why didn't the fiesta or the rose pick virginia tech, since they lost their champs to the national title game, shouldn't they have precedence over the sugar?
so the breakdown is this by pickings Rose, Fiesta, Sugar right? since USC is no 1 and oklahoma is no. 2.
rose picks michigan since i'ts implied they'll take big 10 champs
fiesta picks utah, since they undefeated and cannot take auburn
sugar gets auburn by default due to SEC champs
rose should get the next pick shouldn't they? which if they were smart would take VT
fiesta takes anyone they want, notably Texas or Cal
shouldn't the sugar get stuck with pittsburgh since they are the only ones left and automatically qualified for BCS due to Big East championship.
why didn't it break down like that? does Virginia Tech get to choose where they wanna go becuz they are ACC champs but i thought it was invitation basis or am i missing something else here?

what would happen if the situation was this:
1. USC
2. Oklahomo
3. Auburn
4. Utah
5. Louisville
6. Boise State

leaving big east champs, Pittsburgh, ACC champs VT and Big 10 champs Michigan also receiving automatic berths
now we have 9 teams but 8 positions subtract out USC Vs Oklahomo cuz that's national title so it wouldn't change anyways, so 7 teams, 6 positions
Utah winning Mountain West (top 6, auto berth) Louisville winning conference USA (top 6, auto berth) and Boise State winning the WAC (top 6, auto berth)
texas and Cal say they are 7 and 8th, they wouldn't factor since they didn't win their conference anyways.
what would happen then?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2003
1027 posts
4 upvotes
the fiesta was the only one that was open pickings right? since they lost oklahoma to the national championship game, and couldn't pick Auburn(Sugar Reps) they could've picked anyone, so they were left with Utah, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, or anyone else most notably, Cal, but decided to go with Utah, but what confuses me is why didn't the fiesta or the rose pick virginia tech, since they lost their champs to the national title game, shouldn't they have precedence over the sugar?

Other than the stipulations that I previously mentioned, all the major bowls are open except the Orange bowl this year(1 vs. 2). The bowl organizers invite the particular teams to play in their bowl game and the teams accept or decline the offer. The Sugar bowl chose Auburn vs. Virginia Tech because the SEC champ vs. ACC champ is an exciting match-up between two conferences that consist of teams in a region in close proximity to New Orleans, LA(Auburn is in Alabama and Virginia Tech in Virgina). Utah was chosen by the Fiesta Bowl because Tempe, AR is close to Utah and the Utes fans will travel to Arizona in droves to see them play in that bowl game. Pittsburgh was chosen by the Fiesta bowl because of the Big East stipulation and the fact that there is less chance of a blowout in a Pitt vs. Utah game than against the other top tier teams. Michigan was chosen by the Rose Bowl for obvious reasons and the Rose Bowl organizers obviously believed that Texas would make a better choice than Cal. Cal gets screwed because of a few games that came down to the wire in a weak PAC10 conference. Not to make light of Texas because they are a solid team.

what would happen if the situation was this:
1. USC
2. Oklahomo
3. Auburn
4. Utah
5. Louisville
6. Boise State

That's one big if. This is actually the first time a non-major conference team has finished in the top six BCS teams. In that situation the major bowls would have to take 2 of the 3. But in said scenario, either one of Utah, Louisville or Boise St. would be on the outside with Cal and Texas. There is no requirement of the bowls to choose say Utah over Louisville because Utah is ranked fourth and Louisville is ranked lower at fifth.
Jul 16, 2004
385 posts
There is also a Notre Dame stipulation as well in the BCS (GO IRISH, knocked Michigan off its perch this year :razz: )

I can't remember the specifics but I believe it has a special clause that if the Irish (with the toughest schedule in NCAAF) go 9-3 or better the BCS can give the Irish an at-large bid as they are an independent school.
like in 2001 (I think) Willingham went 9-3 and Notre dame was given a BCS spot, though they were soundly whipped by Oregon State Beavers :( .

Although Cal got ripped this year by Texas, its kind of fair as Texas has been ripped off the last few years, particularly by the Rose bowl not directly but indirectly, since in years the Rose bowl doesn't host the national championship, the Big 10 and Pac 10 get automatic bids to this bowl due to its deal regardless of how poorly the teams are ranked that year. Which in turn leaves less spots for highly ranked teams to get a BCS spot as 2 are taken up by the big 10 and pac 10.
"God is my favourite fictional character" :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2003
1027 posts
4 upvotes
ForthEarlingas wrote:There is also a Notre Dame stipulation as well in the BCS (GO IRISH, knocked Michigan off its perch this year :razz: )
The stipulation is:
The reason is that at-large eligibility for the BCS requires a final Top-12 ranking in addition to nine wins
and
"If one or more teams other than Notre Dame qualify for automatic selection, Notre Dame shall also qualify provided it is ranked in the top ten in the BCS Standings or has a record of at least nine wins, not including exempted games."

Here is the link

Yeah, yeah the Irish beat the Wolverines this year. ND needed Michigan to start a freshman at RB and a freshman at QB due to injuries in the second game of the season as well as a horrible Michigan third quarter to win at home 28-20. Now Chad Henne and Michael Hart have become stars and 6-5 Notre Dame, which limps into the Insight bowl, wouldn't have a chance at beating mighty Michigan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
2 upvotes
doc_ock wrote:Other than the stipulations that I previously mentioned, all the major bowls are open except the Orange bowl this year(1 vs. 2). The bowl organizers invite the particular teams to play in their bowl game and the teams accept or decline the offer. The Sugar bowl chose Auburn vs. Virginia Tech because the SEC champ vs. ACC champ is an exciting match-up between two conferences that consist of teams in a region in close proximity to New Orleans, LA(Auburn is in Alabama and Virginia Tech in Virgina). Utah was chosen by the Fiesta Bowl because Tempe, AR is close to Utah and the Utes fans will travel to Arizona in droves to see them play in that bowl game. Pittsburgh was chosen by the Fiesta bowl because of the Big East stipulation and the fact that there is less chance of a blowout in a Pitt vs. Utah game than against the other top tier teams. Michigan was chosen by the Rose Bowl for obvious reasons and the Rose Bowl organizers obviously believed that Texas would make a better choice than Cal. Cal gets screwed because of a few games that came down to the wire in a weak PAC10 conference. Not to make light of Texas because they are a solid team.

That's one big if. This is actually the first time a non-major conference team has finished in the top six BCS teams. In that situation the major bowls would have to take 2 of the 3. But in said scenario, either one of Utah, Louisville or Boise St. would be on the outside with Cal and Texas. There is no requirement of the bowls to choose say Utah over Louisville because Utah is ranked fourth and Louisville is ranked lower at fifth.
in the link you provided under rules and info, it says the fiesta is host to Big 12 champions, Sugar is host of SEC champs. this would automatically put Auburn in the Sugar,exception being teams cannot host it two years in a row.
and Fiesta had open pick and selected Utah, everything makes sense from rose picking michigan, fiesta picking utah, but then when it comes to VT, pittsburgh, it doesn't make sense, cuz fiesta or rose should've picked VT unless they really did decline the invitation and opted to go to the sugar instead since they were guaranteed a BCS game but i can't seem the declining an invitation to the rose since it's the bigger money game.

If a BCS bowl loses a host team to the National Championship Game, then that BCS bowl shall be the first to select a replacement from the pool of eligible teams. If two BCS bowls lose their host teams to the National Championship Game, the BCS bowl losing the top ranked team would have the first at-large selection, followed by the BCS bowl that lost the second-ranked team. Bowl can't select a "host" team from another BCS bowl.
this would mean the Rose got first picking and then fiesta got 2nd due to the fact rose lost USC to championship and Fiesta lost oklahomo.
therefore going by that rule, Rose had first choice, Fiesta Second and Sugar third.

either way, it's one screwed up format.
if a team can meet the requirement and still not make a major BCS game, then there is something seriously wrong with the system.
how could Utah and Boise State and possibly even Auburn go undefeated and not be in the running for the national title. those so called computers the BCS has really need to be thrown away.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2003
1027 posts
4 upvotes
nx2k wrote:either way, it's one screwed up format.
if a team can meet the requirement and still not make a major BCS game, then there is something seriously wrong with the system.
how could Utah and Boise State and possibly even Auburn go undefeated and not be in the running for the national title. those so called computers the BCS has really need to be thrown away.
Yep, that's why many would like to see some form of a playoff.
Jul 16, 2004
385 posts
doc_ock wrote:Yeah, yeah the Irish beat the Wolverines this year. ND needed Michigan to start a freshman at RB and a freshman at QB due to injuries in the second game of the season as well as a horrible Michigan third quarter to win at home 28-20. Now Chad Henne and Michael Hart have become stars and 6-5 Notre Dame, which limps into the Insight bowl, wouldn't have a chance at beating mighty Michigan.
LOL they still lost to lowly Notre Dame. Michigan also limped into the Rose as after they lost to lowly Ohio State (john cooper would have been proud), they needed Iowa to beat Wisconsin to get into the Rose.
Too bad it couldn't be TEXAS VS. CAL in DA ROSE
o O (I wonder if Michigan football is as clean as Michigan basketball lol)

and for those thinking of a playoff system? GOOD LUCK
The college A.D.'s are all against it.
though I would still like to see a 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 playoff in the BCS and a super championship a week after new years day.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2003
1027 posts
4 upvotes
ForthEarlingas wrote:LOL they still lost to lowly Notre Dame. Michigan also limped into the Rose as after they lost to lowly Ohio State (john cooper would have been proud), they needed Iowa to beat Wisconsin to get into the Rose.
Too bad it couldn't be TEXAS VS. CAL in DA ROSE
o O (I wonder if Michigan football is as clean as Michigan basketball lol)
Laugh all you want. Yes, the Wolverines lost on the road to ND as I mentioned above and on the road to OSU in both teams biggest rivalry game. Who said going undefeated in NCAA football was an easy task. Wisconsin was not as good as their record suggests and Michigan spanked Iowa in their match-up this season. Nothing can detract from the fact that the fellas in Maize and Blue are the Big10 champs. Can Cal or Texas say that they won their conference?
Jul 16, 2004
385 posts
Cal lost to USC (#1 ranked team) their only defeat
Texas lost to the Sooners (#2 ranked team) their only defeat.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2003
1027 posts
4 upvotes
ForthEarlingas wrote:Cal lost to USC (#1 ranked team) their only defeat
Texas lost to the Sooners (#2 ranked team) their only defeat.
Yeah, Cal and Texas are good teams. But the fact of the matter is, both can only be described as second best in their conference. Second best doesn't gaurantee you a spot. However, we will see Michigan vs. Texas in the Rose Bowl and I, for one, am looking forward to watching that match-up.