• Sep 13th, 2017 5:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1420 posts
112 upvotes
St. Johns

beach recommendations Between Lauderdale and Miami

Going to Orlando for a couple weeks next Aug and we were considering taking in a Blue Jays game in Miami. Looking for beach recommendations somewhere in the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood/North Miami area where we could spend the day prior to the game. Preferably somewhere that has restaurants, shops etc... within walking distance
7 replies
May 22, 2016
725 posts
94 upvotes
Ontario
Hollywood beach has small shops and restaurants right across from the beach. Fort Lauderdale is more chains.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1007 posts
529 upvotes
Truthfully...

Once you get north of urban Miami... It is just one community after another that fronts onto the beach. Hollywood is very popular with Qubecois & Quebecers, Fort Lauderdale Beach also has a lot of Canadians as does Lauderdale by the Sea.

Fort Lauderdale is extremely commercial (but nice) with huge Brandname Hotels and recognizable Chain Restaurants & Shops. Hollywood & Lauderdale by the Beach, have more low rises and Mom & Pop places, and some chains (Margarittaville Resort is in Hollywood)

To be honest we like them all... A lot depends upon your budget & mood.

Suggest you use Google Maps (Street View) if you want to get a better idea of the look / vibe for each.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6697 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto
When in Fort Lauderdale, you can consider taking the water taxi for a trip to see the coast line, inside canals, and hear the interesting narration of the multi-million dollar properties owned by some rich and famous people.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1420 posts
112 upvotes
St. Johns
Not looking for a resort, just a nice beach where we can park the car and enjoy beach, shopping, food.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1007 posts
529 upvotes
RyanS219 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:12 pm
Not looking for a resort, just a nice beach where we can park the car and enjoy beach, shopping, food.
In that case...

It doesn't matter so much... As the whole Eastern Coast of Florida is one long beach, things that sets places apart are the vibe.

Fort Lauderdale Beach is cool, cause of the Bars, Restaurants & Shopping... Be sure & visit the world famous Elbow Room Bar (last locall spot to close prior to Hurricane Irma)

And I agree with @Arrgh plan some time to check out Fort Lauderdale's Water Taxi (runs on the Inland Waterway... 1 block from the beach). It's a fun ride cause they do a narration as they motor round, pointing out the landmarks as well as all the Mega Mansions and who owns them.

Hollywood Beach is more low key... Less glitz. Still a great place though
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1420 posts
112 upvotes
St. Johns
Thanks will have a look
Sep 2, 2006
18 posts
2 upvotes
Honestly, Hollywood beach is your best option. It's a nice boardwalk, with a cool little community around it. It stretches pretty far north from it's origin point, but you can take these little trolley's back which come through every half hour.
There is also a decent area to eat with a few shops a little ways in from the beach. (Not the food on the boardwalk which is honestly meh). I forget the name of the area, but I'll see if i can look it up.

Source: Lived there a few years ago for a short period.

Edit: The little restaurants and stuff are about a 2 mile drive west of Hollywood beach on Holloywood Blvd (just west of the Young Circle Park). Check the map i linked.
Images
  • hollywooooooood, hollywood swinging.jpg