Tags:
[OP]
Dec 11, 2009
4 posts
1 upvote
Milton

Beagle pup

Hi All,

Looking to buy a beagle pup. Can you recommend any breeders?
Last edited by featherpen on Feb 13th, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1470 posts
243 upvotes
Markham
You try rescues?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2948 posts
436 upvotes
featherpen wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 10:22 pm
Hi All,

Looking to buy a beagle pup. Can you recommend any breeders?
I can't recommend a breeder, but please adopt a beagle pup that is of the normal size. I saw a genetically modified Beagle that weighed 8 lbs. - it was not a pretty sight. Not as bad as the 1.5 lb. Dachshund that I saw though.

Oh, and hide the food. But there are worst little hoovers outs there - Dachshunds and Spitz to be precise. That came as a shock.
[OP]
Dec 11, 2009
4 posts
1 upvote
Milton
Yes...I am looking to all shelters in Oakville, Burlington and Mississauga but can't find the one my daughters want. Will keep looking and thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5123 posts
652 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Look at rescues further away. There are resources available to transport rescue pups (air angels is one). Beagle Freedom Project in the U.S. is an option.

Look up and contact hunting groups, they will likely know of beagle breeders locally.
Sep 5, 2014
496 posts
132 upvotes
Brampton, ON
why a Beagle? If you're an expereinced hound owner then you can probably manage one. If not, they are a difficult breed to train. They are in the hound family and will run off at the first opportunity. It can take a long time to make them "off leash friendly"
I've owned a dozen hounds and it's not easy. You can try this rescue
Big on Beagles
or
Gentle Jakes
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2244 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto
As mentioned above, why a beagle?

They end up in rescues bc families buy them thinking they're adorable, and realize how much work they are (they scent driven dogs so they have an extremely high prey drive) ... they'll eat anything they can, and they don't listen.
Have fun with that! ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1470 posts
243 upvotes
Markham
MrsPotato wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 10:35 am
As mentioned above, why a beagle?

They end up in rescues bc families buy them thinking they're adorable, and realize how much work they are (they scent driven dogs so they have an extremely high prey drive) ... they'll eat anything they can, and they don't listen.
Have fun with that! ;)
100%....we have an adopted beagle.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2781 posts
908 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
featherpen wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 9:32 am
Yes...I am looking to all shelters in Oakville, Burlington and Mississauga but can't find the one my daughters want. Will keep looking and thank you.
So you are letting your daughters pick the new family member (for the next 15 years or so) based solely on looks I am guessing? Bad idea.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2781 posts
908 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Also, be prepared. Beagles are LOUD. They are lovely looking dogs and I adore them, but they are not an easy breed. Know what you are getting into.
Apr 25, 2011
565 posts
185 upvotes
British Columbia
Beagles are certainly not for everyone. I know someone with two of them... They are overweight and do make a lot of noise. They can't be trusted off leash due to their wandering ways and they are not easy to train in general. If that is what you are looking for in a dog then a Beagle may be the right breed for you.

A good point is they are often good with children (in that they don't care if they are poked and prodded) but plenty of other breeds are good in those ways (and a child should know not to be rough with a dog)...

If you are looking for a rescue puppy you may be looking for a long time. An adult you may have an easier time finding and the bonus there is their personality is set so you would know what you're getting.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2244 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 2:43 pm
Also, be prepared. Beagles are LOUD. They are lovely looking dogs and I adore them, but they are not an easy breed. Know what you are getting into.
I was going to mention how vocal they are!
They're noisy little sh*ts!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2948 posts
436 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 8:29 pm
I was going to mention how vocal they are!
They're noisy little sh*ts!
Very true! Also, Chickinvic, our Beagle lived 5 years BEYOND the 15 year possible lifespan. The only saving grace is that he was extremely lovable but not the sharpest pencil in the box. However, he found a brilliant cat on one of his walks - of course we took her in (she was also pregnant and he though he was the mother). They made for quite the duo. But there is something to be said for a dog who is not the brightest - this from someone who ever since has had brilliant dogs.

I was used to Beagles though - my aunt had one and I frequently took care of her.

There is the back issue though - not as bad as Dachshunds but our neurosurgeon had operated on his 2 Beagles just before he operated on our Dachshund. Back issues seem to be affecting so many pups these days - but Dachshund surgery is horrible.
Jul 4, 2015
735 posts
158 upvotes
Beagles are super cute, but super tough to train, so if you don't know much about them, I highly recommend not getting one. My inlaws have one who is 13 and she's still very difficult to "control" even though she's well trained. She was a rescue. As others have said, get a rescued one instead.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5123 posts
652 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I Am Alive rescue in Brockville just brought in 5 beagle puppies. They're not ready for adoption yet, but you should check it out and make inquiries if you're serious.

I Am Alive Dog Rescue

If you have facebook, the pictures are there: IamAlive facebook
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel