• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2017 9:52 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1891 posts
97 upvotes
can you guys recommend more rescues and animal shelters. hoping to adopt this year by the summer.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5136 posts
655 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Wilmega wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:25 pm
can you guys recommend more rescues and animal shelters. hoping to adopt this year by the summer.
What are you looking for and where are you?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1891 posts
97 upvotes
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 7:45 pm
What are you looking for and where are you?
I'm in the GTA. Looking for a smaller dog since I live in a condo, Westie/Corgi/Shih Tsu
Apr 25, 2011
611 posts
208 upvotes
British Columbia
Wilmega wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:05 pm
I'm in the GTA. Looking for a smaller dog since I live in a condo, Westie/Corgi/Shih Tsu
All of those breeds can have some health considerations.

Westies have ALLERGIES. Haven't met one that doesn't have them and they can be very serious. Allergies may require lifelong, extremely expensive medications that must be given daily.
Allergies (which cause itchy skin and often lead to pyoderma) are very common in all terriers. Other skin diseases in Westies include seborrhea and the very serious epidermal dysplasia. In a recent study, 66% of the breed were affected by some form of skin disease by 3 years of age.
Corgi are a herding breed, can be higher energy and be a problematic barker and may have problems due to their short legs and long back.

Shih Tzu can have a lot of health problems as well, breathing, eye and back issues are prevalent.

Just because a dog is small does not make it suitable for a condo or your lifestyle. Some large dogs can make due in small space and are pretty lazy.

Good luck in your search but do your research and carefully consider each breed based on their pros and cons in health and temperment, not just their look or size.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
4643 posts
1169 upvotes
Space
We have had our hound for over a year now and all your observations are correct. Our lab was a cake walk compared to our hound. Do you have any advice in teaching them not to run off? That's my primary concern.
mudgts wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 8:17 am
why a Beagle? If you're an expereinced hound owner then you can probably manage one. If not, they are a difficult breed to train. They are in the hound family and will run off at the first opportunity. It can take a long time to make them "off leash friendly"
I've owned a dozen hounds and it's not easy. You can try this rescue
Big on Beagles
or
Gentle Jakes
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 3:13 am
We have had our hound for over a year now and all your observations are correct. Our lab was a cake walk compared to our hound. Do you have any advice in teaching them not to run off? That's my primary concern.
Yes. Keep your hound pup on a leash. That is what we always did - and still do with our current non-hound dog. You will already know that hounds can dig so be careful with the backyard. A tie-out (with you outside as well) will help. We did this with all of our hounds - most of our dogs were hounds with the current exception. Good luck! Watch out for food left out but I expect you already know that.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5136 posts
655 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Blanche123 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:30 am
Yes. Keep your hound pup on a leash. That is what we always did - and still do with our current non-hound dog. You will already know that hounds can dig so be careful with the backyard. A tie-out (with you outside as well) will help. We did this with all of our hounds - most of our dogs were hounds with the current exception. Good luck! Watch out for food left out but I expect you already know that.
Agree 100%. My hound was never off leash outside of my yard, even at the dog park. She was usually good at tagging along with my other dog(s), however once she got on a scent and disappeared into the trees in seconds. It took 3 hours to find her. Luckily she was still within the boundaries of the park. After that, she was always leashed.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1891 posts
97 upvotes
Karala wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:03 pm
All of those breeds can have some health considerations.

Westies have ALLERGIES. Haven't met one that doesn't have them and they can be very serious. Allergies may require lifelong, extremely expensive medications that must be given daily.

Corgi are a herding breed, can be higher energy and be a problematic barker and may have problems due to their short legs and long back.

Shih Tzu can have a lot of health problems as well, breathing, eye and back issues are prevalent.

Just because a dog is small does not make it suitable for a condo or your lifestyle. Some large dogs can make due in small space and are pretty lazy.

Good luck in your search but do your research and carefully consider each breed based on their pros and cons in health and temperment, not just their look or size.
Thanks that's really good advice. Still doing tons of research on my end,
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3077 posts
1104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Blanche123 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:30 am
Same here with Jack Russells. I would NEVER trust off leash. They want to hunt (and love making a game out of getting away from you and having you chase them). Very strong prey drive. If my little one saw a squirrel or something he would ignore my calls and be off like a shot. Also, great diggers. He can dig down so fast it will make your head spin.