• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2017 9:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1088 posts
247 upvotes
Admittedly, I've never watched Disney's animated version from 1991. However, since I'm a huge Emma Watson fan, I'll be watching this live action movie only because of her. Emma's almost perfect in my eyes, the only thing I don't like about her is she's a feminist! LOL

BTW, Emma will be plugging her movie tonight on Jimmy Kimmel.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13803 posts
2339 upvotes
Toronto
The CGI Beast looks terrible IMO. Emma Watson looks hot.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24474 posts
5266 upvotes
GTHA
Ewan McGregor Has A Four-Letter-Word For 'Beauty And The Beast' Haters
T2 Trainspotting' star Ewan McGregor doesn't understand what has haters so fired up about his other film, in which he's a candlestick.

Sep 30, 2001
26201 posts
5286 upvotes
It's quite good. Emma is perfect as Belle and I thought the CG for Beast was just fine
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1113 posts
157 upvotes
MrDisco wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:45 pm
It's quite good. Emma is perfect as Belle and I thought the CG for Beast was just fine
Most of my favourite Disney songs are from Beauty and the Beast. Did they recreate the musical numbers well? I heard a few of the new songs online and they sounded pretty good, but I noticed they changed some of the banter within the songs.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3021 posts
204 upvotes
London, EU
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 11:16 pm
Most of my favourite Disney songs are from Beauty and the Beast. Did they recreate the musical numbers well? I heard a few of the new songs online and they sounded pretty good, but I noticed they changed some of the banter within the songs.
Yes, they've recreated the musical numbers as well. The songs itself is the same, but with slight changes in banter and pausing to accommodate the flow of the film.

Sep 4, 2016
680 posts
327 upvotes
Personally, I always thought this remake is redundant, but I still thought it would be a lock for quality since it is copied from the 90's animated version which is a rare perfect movie. So it's surprising to see that this new version is already up to 50 rotten reviews!
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1088 posts
247 upvotes
Have tickets for a discount Tuesday screening and I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully, I'll see the 1991 version before I see this one. Totally forgot Disney's original was the first animated movie to be nominated for Best Picture. Very cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty_an ... 1991_film)

Heard Emma Watson was the original choice for "La La Land", but bailed because of scheduling conflict due to this big budget Disney movie. Other sources claim she was a bit of a "diva" and that's why she bailed. LOL Regardless, I love her and don't want to believe what I've heard from people who've already seen the movie. Some have told me her singing wasn't that good. :(
Apr 30, 2013
295 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Disappointed Disney went this route. Will not watch.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10445 posts
542 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:26 am
Let’s not mince words: Beauty and the Beast is a terrible movie
It vainly attempts to pretend there's something there that wasn't there before.

https://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/ ... ble-movie/
Lol a review from arstechnica. It`s funny people think reviews will matter for this movie.

This is a retelling of a Disney classic for a lot of people. They will see it no matter what. Unfortunately it will be compared to the original and probably won`t be as good but when that happens most people will label it rotten or give it a bad score.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7857 posts
746 upvotes
Nostalgia is a cash cow these last few years. It's a fairly straightforward formula to grab an old story/movie/comic/video game and decide to make a big screen feature out of it and the nostalgia alone will get people into the theatre. Bonus: your marketing efforts are boosted by the fact that your feature isn't completely unknown for lots of people.

I think part of the "danger" with live action remakes though is that there's things that animate well but don't translate that great to either live-action or CGI.

For example, I watched a few videos of the early Disney animation storyboards side-by-side with "actors" that the animators used to reference body movement and stuff and you can see that there's overemphasized movements or exaggerated renditions of the human body that just wouldn't work that well outside an animated context. While it doesn't sound like a big deal, little things do add up and they may end up creating a totally different experience (either good or bad).

Will be interesting to compare as more of the classic Disney movies are translated to live action.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10445 posts
542 upvotes
Really enjoyed the movie. I can't recall seeing the original so my memories of it are vague (I believe i saw it as a kid).

The songs were fun. I though the new song from Beast was really well done. The CGI was a bit weird to start but it didn't bother me after that. Overall, great film to see with the family and the theatres were packed this weekend for it.

Out of all the live action remakes, I enjoyed this one the most.