Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1233 posts
101 upvotes

Became a Summitt Energy scam victim :(

I saw a few postings in this forums complaining about Summitt Energy.

I moved in to a new town home on Dec 1st. There was a guy from Summitt Energy showed up at my door on Dec 3rd. Under pressure, I ended up signing the agreement and became a Summit Energy scam victim :(

I kept calling the customer service and that guy (I believe it is the same guy every time I called) said my phone number or contract number is not on the file yet.

I faxed them a notice of cancellation on Dec 5th, I requested a return reply in both mail & email, and mentioned the Customer Protection Act and I expect a immediate response within 3 business days. Until today, I haven't heard anything from them. I called again this morning and that guy said he did not find anything on the computer yet. I think he is not telling the truth.

I called Ontario Energy Board, the staff said if I kept the transaction record of the fax, I should be okay. However, Summitt Energy can still call me after 10th day.

I'm worried and frustrated. Anything else I can do at this point? :(
619 replies
Dec 30, 2007
655 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
umlowcn wrote:
Dec 11th, 2008 2:42 pm
I saw a few postings in this forums complaining about Summitt Energy.

I moved in to a new town home on Dec 1st. There was a guy from Summitt Energy showed up at my door on Dec 3rd. Under pressure, I ended up signing the agreement and became a Summit Energy scam victim :(

I kept calling the customer service and that guy (I believe it is the same guy every time I called) said my phone number or contract number is not on the file yet.

I faxed them a notice of cancellation on Dec 5th, I requested a return reply in both mail & email, and mentioned the Customer Protection Act and I expect a immediate response within 3 business days. Until today, I haven't heard anything from them. I called again this morning and that guy said he did not find anything on the computer yet. I think he is not telling the truth.

I called Ontario Energy Board, the staff said if I kept the transaction record of the fax, I should be okay. However, Summitt Energy can still call me after 10th day.

I'm worried and frustrated. Anything else I can do at this point? :(
You are fine. You can send them another email refering you conversation with their rep and fax details.
Feb 10, 2008
496 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
geesh...I wish people would quit calling it a "scam". It is not illegal and if you are going to sign contracts at the door (under pressure or not) then you deserve the headaches that come with it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6253 posts
244 upvotes
This JUST happened to me on Dec 2 from Direct Energy. I immediately called them and obviously I was not on file to cancel. I called the next day to cancel by phone, I wasn
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1144 posts
25 upvotes
GTA
Maybe it's just me, but isn't it easier to just not sign the contract at your door? Seems like a lot of work to avoid saying "no" and closing your door.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1254 posts
I think there's a new policy that they have to call you back in like 10 days to confirm the contract. At that point you can opt out.
FS Items:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5462 posts
178 upvotes
BC
slim_shady wrote:
Dec 12th, 2008 4:39 pm
maybe it's just me, but isn't it easier to just not sign the contract at your door? Seems like a lot of work to avoid saying "no" and closing your door.
+1
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3815 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
slim_shady wrote:
Dec 12th, 2008 4:39 pm
Maybe it's just me, but isn't it easier to just not sign the contract at your door? Seems like a lot of work to avoid saying "no" and closing your door.
I agree, I mean I wasn't even aware of this scam but knew if I needed to sign up for anything I would just call Enbridge...I mean why would someone COME to me so I can SAVE $$$?

It's like if these guys came door to door and asked to see your mortgage papers because they wanted to make sure you were "protected" with the new lower interest rate, would you sign right there or call your bank??? Isn't it the same?

But I do feel bad for those who signed up, unfortunately my father is one of them but the man still beleives he's saving by signing up :lol: I guess old people beleive anything and everything. :twisted:
Oct 6, 2007
601 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
mmhassa2 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2008 7:01 pm
I agree, I mean I wasn't even aware of this scam but knew if I needed to sign up for anything I would just call Enbridge...I mean why would someone COME to me so I can SAVE $$$?

It's like if these guys came door to door and asked to see your mortgage papers because they wanted to make sure you were "protected" with the new lower interest rate, would you sign right there or call your bank??? Isn't it the same?

But I do feel bad for those who signed up, unfortunately my father is one of them but the man still beleives he's saving by signing up :lol: I guess old people beleive anything and everything. :twisted:
Is their any other way getting out of this contract? like cancelling your existing account with HYDRO. Then, lets say your wife open a new account with HYDRO under her name. that wont tie up Summit with that new account?..
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3815 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
axela3 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2009 9:49 pm
Is their any other way getting out of this contract? like cancelling your existing account with HYDRO. Then, lets say your wife open a new account with HYDRO under her name. that wont tie up Summit with that new account?..
Sorry I wouldn't know as we nevere signed up with them...but I do beleive if you cancel with them you'll be reported to collections. :confused: How long has it been since you signed up with them? I hope someone else here could help you out.
Jun 26, 2009
1 posts
Thunder Bay
same company. different tactic. Salesman arrived less than 24 hrs after moving into new place. I tripped over boxes to get to the door. I was told that this visit was simply an assessment survey and he asked me to sign a confirmation that he had been here. I guessed that he needed proof of his time spent for payroll purposes. There was never any discussion about price protection program and I told him I would sign a confirmation of his survey taken. I received a call from the company by a man who's English was poor. I did not understand him, 6 months later they took over my hydro account. It turns out, after consulting with a lawyer, that a contract must have signature by both parties on all copies, and must also be dated so a commencement date of the agreement shows. Under my circumstances, I have been told that my contract will be cancelled by Summitt but 90 days later I am still waiting. In the meanwhile I did receive a letter from Summitt that for $400.00 I can buy out the agreement which I flat out refused since I did not enter into an agreement. My friend is using their service and after looking at her contract I noticed it was the same salesman and her contract was missing the same key info. She is really tired of paying the high rate that Summitt charges and I told her that her contract is incomplete.
Apr 30, 2009
298 posts
5 upvotes
We bought our new home on june 15 and on june 22 nd a guy showed up from summit energy and said something to my wife and finally she signend on a form called as registration form and singned on the portion where it says (i have read and agreed to the froms and conditions of this registration form and customer agreement) is this the type of trap we are discussing is there anything wrong in signing this advice please
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6253 posts
244 upvotes
dealbarons wrote:
Jun 27th, 2009 10:25 pm
We bought our new home on june 15 and on june 22 nd a guy showed up from summit energy and said something to my wife and finally she signend on a form called as registration form and singned on the portion where it says (i have read and agreed to the froms and conditions of this registration form and customer agreement) is this the type of trap we are discussing is there anything wrong in signing this advice please
Yes, if they call, DO NOT ANSWER and only say NO to everything they say. Never say YES, I AGREE or anything. You should have 10 days to cancel so send them an email, letter, phone them and cancel immediately. Have all of these tracked.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3339 posts
388 upvotes
Valleywood
dealbarons wrote:
Jun 27th, 2009 10:25 pm
You have just become part of the Summit Energy family.

On Monday you'll want to call the Summit Energy offices and formally cancel. If you have no idea what you are signing, I can assure you that you shouldn't be in this contract. Cancel, then do some homework to see if any of these so-called savings plans are going to benefit you. You'll find that the fine print ensures that these companies will always make money with the ability to charge "administration fee adjustments", therefore you will always overpay.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3015 posts
1021 upvotes
It's always a good idea to never agree to anything from anyone who comes to your door. Definitely don't sign anything, give them credit card information or cash.

Clearly there are exceptions. Sure, buy the girl guide cookies or the overpriced stale "chocolate" bar from your neighbour's child.

I follow the same rule for things over the phone. That's right, I never sign things over the phone. It's my rebellious nature.

I've had energy companies come to my door, and I've literally had to close the door in their face to get them to go away. If my electrical supplier wanted to make sure I'm getting my discount, they'd send me a letter or check their own damned records.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
× < >