• Mar 6th, 2018 4:59 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
This fool just showed up at my door and my mother answered, this guy was trying to tell me he's from my gas company and i asked him, who are you from? he kept saying "i'm from your gas company, i have your information", so i told him, "please cancel my account then and please leave"...and i closed the door on him, i don't mind door to door sales people but door to door misrepresentation bordering on outright scamming deserves a good door slamming in your face event.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
Mar 29, 2010
1 posts
Thankfully, I have not been scammed but have been approached - the first time I was working and asked them very nicely to come back later, had I have known.... the second time wast today.. at my office. My new little friend barges in and starts explaining to me all the yadda yadda's and I look at her confused and say.. umm i don't get it - first off, we don't have smart meters and if your with the company get the bill yourself? She then RUBBED MY ARM, creepy and looked at me condescendingly and said "oh hunny.. you know sooo much. That's great, really great but I need to see your bill to make sure your not paying this extra 12%, that's all." I said I didn't have one and she proceeded to write her contact information down on a piece of paper SHE found on MY desk because she had "just run out of cards".

SOOO since she was already in my personal space on my side of my desk looking at my computer screen, I began to google (props to google) ... "just energy" and just as the other person said it geniously prompted "just energy scams". Brilliant!! She didn't have much to say as I began to read and she immediately left.

However, she continued on to the other businesses in our building and I decided that I should kindly follow with the lovely print out of my google findings just so she didn't manage to waste everyone else's time. She really liked that.... I think. Maybe not. :twisted:

Now, that being said I do have her full name and cell phone number just in case anyone is interested in joining up with with Justenergy.ca or ieso.ca or which ever other compnay it may be. Let me know and I'll flip it to you. :cheesygri

If you are not interested, did get scammed like my sister in law and are past the 10 day consumer protection law, I found this information here.. my sister in law did this same thing and it did work.

http://www.keyframe5.com/just-energy-wh ... s-company/
:arrow:

Here’s a way to get out of your contract without penalty.

1. Call the utility (NOT Just Energy, Universal Energy or their other companies). Have them change the name on your account, preferably to a person’s name who does NOT share your last name. A friend or family member is probably your best bet. Your reason for the change could be as simple as you’re renting your home and the new name is your tenant. Changing the name on the account usually costs $30 or so.

2. Next step, do NOT tell Just Energy, Universal Energy about this name change. Now, Just Energy, Universal has your contract locking YOUR NAME into a rate, but your name no longer appears on the utility bill. You’ve just disappeared off the face of the utility world. If you don’t exist in the utility world, Universal has no hold over you.

3. Get call ID. Just Energy, Universal may call your house and try to track you down and screen calls that are of the unknown name/unknown number nature. Just let the answering machine pick up if you’re not sure. In this case, you will probably want to take your names off the machine, and leave a more generic message “You’ve reached 555-9797″ instead of “You’ve reached John and Jane Doe.” Just Energy, Universal will try and find you for about 3 months, and after 6 months, they will give up and assume that you’ve moved to an area not serviced by Universal. (In their handy contracts, it states that if you move to an area serviced by them, the contract is still binding).

4. After a sufficient time has passed (maybe 1 year or more), you can go back to using your name on your utility bill, although I would not change this until at least a year has passed, if not more.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
noctilucent wrote: Here’s a way to get out of your contract without penalty.

1. Call the utility (NOT Just Energy, Universal Energy or their other companies). Have them change the name on your account, preferably to a person’s name who does NOT share your last name. A friend or family member is probably your best bet. Your reason for the change could be as simple as you’re renting your home and the new name is your tenant. Changing the name on the account usually costs $30 or so.

2. Next step, do NOT tell Just Energy, Universal Energy about this name change. Now, Just Energy, Universal has your contract locking YOUR NAME into a rate, but your name no longer appears on the utility bill. You’ve just disappeared off the face of the utility world. If you don’t exist in the utility world, Universal has no hold over you.

3. Get call ID. Just Energy, Universal may call your house and try to track you down and screen calls that are of the unknown name/unknown number nature. Just let the answering machine pick up if you’re not sure. In this case, you will probably want to take your names off the machine, and leave a more generic message “You’ve reached 555-9797″ instead of “You’ve reached John and Jane Doe.” Just Energy, Universal will try and find you for about 3 months, and after 6 months, they will give up and assume that you’ve moved to an area not serviced by Universal. (In their handy contracts, it states that if you move to an area serviced by them, the contract is still binding).

4. After a sufficient time has passed (maybe 1 year or more), you can go back to using your name on your utility bill, although I would not change this until at least a year has passed, if not more.
Thanks for sharing this.

Please allow me to add that all that hassle can be avoided with one simple golden rule:

DO NOT OPEN DOOR TO STRANGERS. DO NOT TALK WITH THEM. PERIOD.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
4151 posts
838 upvotes
noctilucent wrote: Here’s a way to get out of your contract without penalty.
Do they not just send your bill to a collections agency?
RFD'er since 2007 😎
Jun 5, 2005
74 posts
4 upvotes
:evil: they are out and about in the oshawa area. Now they saying if you dont sign up. bill will go up 40% plus , and something bout me getting a smart meter. I laughed at him. Ask for his address so i could knock on his door, so I could sell him some swamp land. :D

he left pretty quick.. :confused:
ask me about ....
5 trips to Mall of America all in one yr.,
the Dominican republic , Cuba and Mexico too many to count
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
2108 posts
432 upvotes
longitude wrote: thanks for sharing this.

Please allow me to add that all that hassle can be avoided with one simple golden rule:

do not open door to strangers. Do not talk with them. Period.
agree!
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
longitude wrote: thanks for sharing this.

do not open door to strangers. Do not talk with them. Period.
umlowcn wrote: agree!
+1
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
2108 posts
432 upvotes
phoenix3434 wrote: hahahahahahahahahahahha!

After the energy guy's long essay, it just took a link. Lol!
+1
Apr 18, 2010
6 posts
Well here's my situation... (I want to cancel :mad: )

1. I signed
2. talked to a representative on the phone to confirm
3. This was today, so 10 days havent been up :razz:

IMPORTANT- My dad is the account owner and he doesn't speak great english.

Please help guys !!
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
Did you already confirm with them on the phone? If so, you may have trouble cancelling...I cancelled easily the day after I signed just by emailing them.
vcshomer wrote: Well here's my situation... (I want to cancel :mad: )

1. I signed
2. talked to a representative on the phone to confirm
3. This was today, so 10 days havent been up :razz:

IMPORTANT- My dad is the account owner and he doesn't speak great english.

Please help guys !!
Apr 18, 2010
6 posts
Aggy wrote: Did you already confirm with them on the phone? If so, you may have trouble cancelling...I cancelled easily the day after I signed just by emailing them.
Well, I spoke with someone on the phone to confirm when the representatives were here... :mad:

Why might I have trouble cancelling?
Apr 19, 2008
388 posts
15 upvotes
Burlington
Just received a cheque from them for $2500 because they signed up my mother when the account is in my name. This was a few years back.
Apr 13, 2009
71 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
The account is under my name but I think one of my family members signed this without knowing.

Am I on the hook for anything? It only applies if the billing contact signs it right?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2001
4486 posts
58 upvotes
Calgary
I'm probably going to be going to a fixed rate for natural gas.

Currently here in Calgary it is at $5.18 per GJ (Gigajoule)

I am hoping to lock in my rate at $6.99 per GJ for 5 years.

Why pay more? Because of this:

http://www.wtrg.com/daily/oilandgasspot.html

Every other carbon fuel has being steadily increasing - but Natural gas seems to have finally hit a small "lull". This upcoming month may be the last time to lock in for a low rate for a few years.

Natural gas was over $12/GJ in December of 2002. I realize that you in the east have a different way to measure rates, but its the same idea.
A US nickel is worth more than 5 cents.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2732 posts
1031 upvotes
longitude wrote: Thanks for sharing this.

DO NOT OPEN DOOR TO STRANGERS. DO NOT TALK WITH THEM. PERIOD.
Are you people really this paranoid?

Sad that civilization has come to this..

Is it really that hard to just say no?
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
Eldorado wrote: Are you people really this paranoid?

Sad that civilization has come to this..

Is it really that hard to just say no?
Paranoid?

Is it really that hard to just ignore scammers and low lives?

The moment you open your door to such strangers they will peek inside, scan you and try to scam you. They will insist and sometimes be aggressive, as reported by some here. Why go through such hassle? What's worse, if an elderly relative opens the door, then you're at risk of having your house registered to some weird plan. That has been reported here too.

Also, it's a matter of principle: I don't want to talk to such people. They're not worthy of my attention.

Ban them.... :D
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
69 upvotes
My latest Enbridge bill came with a pamphlet about scams without actually using the word scam. It even mention that their employees would never ask to see your bill. We have our gas with Enbridge and got our second bill with them.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
2108 posts
432 upvotes
longitude wrote: Paranoid?

Is it really that hard to just ignore scammers and low lives?

The moment you open your door to such strangers they will peek inside, scan you and try to scam you. They will insist and sometimes be aggressive, as reported by some here. Why go through such hassle? What's worse, if an elderly relative opens the door, then you're at risk of having your house registered to some weird plan. That has been reported here too.

Also, it's a matter of principle: I don't want to talk to such people. They're not worthy of my attention.

Ban them.... :D
Agree! Personal time is precious and valuable. No point wasting time on those scammers and low lives!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)