• Mar 6th, 2018 4:59 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
psych13 wrote: so i'm guessing I shouldn't take this job then???????

anybody ever worked for them?

correct, run away.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1740 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
TCWeasel wrote: It's always a good idea to never agree to anything from anyone who comes to your door. Definitely don't sign anything, give them credit card information or cash.

Clearly there are exceptions. Sure, buy the girl guide cookies or the overpriced stale "chocolate" bar from your neighbour's child.

I follow the same rule for things over the phone. That's right, I never sign things over the phone. It's my rebellious nature.

I've had energy companies come to my door, and I've literally had to close the door in their face to get them to go away. If my electrical supplier wanted to make sure I'm getting my discount, they'd send me a letter or check their own damned records.

Great advice.

Never give any sort of information over the phone. If anyone calls and asks you to confirm your name or something, decline and ask for whatever they want to be sent via mail or call back yourself with a known phone number. Never trust anyone who is calling you.

As for doorbell ringers - I don't open or even look out the door for anyone unless they call me in advance anymore because of all these door-to-door scammers.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
78 upvotes
Etobicoke
I can be fairly rude to the door knockers at times. :twisted:

The best is when I ask them where they get their info from? When I turn to them a say that I own my tank so get lost.
They typically have nothing more to say.

When I lived in a rental home, I had a sign up that had:

NO Salespeople
NO Soliciting
NO Jehovah's Witnesses

If any of them had the nerve to knock, I just slammed the door in their face without saying a word. :cheesygri
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Techhead wrote: I can be fairly rude to the door knockers at times. :twisted:

The best is when I ask them where they get their info from? When I turn to them a say that I own my tank so get lost.

NO Salespeople
NO Soliciting
NO Jehovah's Witnesses

If any of them had the nerve to knock, I just slammed the door in their face without saying a word. :cheesygri

I think I know where you lived :D
Awesome sign btw. Do you happen to have a similar now?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
78 upvotes
Etobicoke
No sign up these days, as the neighbourhood that I'm in ain't as bad as when I lived close to downtown TO.

I can deal with telling a some people off & where to go a few times a year. :cheesygri
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2011
4225 posts
56 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Techhead wrote: I can be fairly rude to the door knockers at times. :twisted:

NO Salespeople
NO Soliciting
NO Jehovah's Witnesses

:lol:
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
umlowcn wrote: :arrowu:
:!:
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Apr 20, 2009
414 posts
140 upvotes
Ottawa
cwood wrote: These scums came to the door tonight in Aurora. Official looking tag and a summit jacket. He did the usual gratuitous greetings etc.
I said "not interested"....
he said "I'm not selling anything".....
I said "really"???... He said "I am here to check your water heater for two important stickers".
I said "I just had it serviced....I'm all set"....(I had just had it serviced because the vent motor was loud)
He said "oh it wasn't serviced"....
I thought ...you ignorant little $hit....how do you know what was done?
I said "go away" and closed the door.

Brutal.
Exact same conversation that I just had with a young smart ass Summit rep. told him to go away..... BEWARE!
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
2108 posts
432 upvotes
Armeee wrote: Exact same conversation that I just had with a young smart ass Summit rep. told him to go away..... BEWARE!

Good job! Don't waste your time with those Summit reps!
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
Armeee wrote: Exact same conversation that I just had with a young smart ass Summit rep. told him to go away..... BEWARE!

That shouldn't have happened. If you ignore the door then you don't have to tell anyone to go away.
11b guide
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
2108 posts
432 upvotes
longitude wrote: That shouldn't have happened. If you ignore the door then you don't have to tell anyone to go away.

Agree! How can I forget that? :)
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
We have to be vigilant
11b guide
Oct 21, 2010
67 posts
3 upvotes
Some Times Knows wrote: You can ask for a copy of your contract to be emailed to you. If you haven't signed a contract a verbal call doesn't constitute an agreement. You can always cancel an agreement and pay a penatly to do so, even if the agreement is valid. If you never agreed to it, call their customer service line and start by explaining the situation, they might just let you off the hook if you have a valid complaint about not being left a copy of the agreement, espeically if you didn't sign one in the first place.
You can also ask for a copy of the recorded call
Apr 20, 2009
414 posts
140 upvotes
Ottawa
longitude wrote: That shouldn't have happened. If you ignore the door then you don't have to tell anyone to go away.
I am fortunate to live in a place where people still answer the door. Anyways, it was my kid who initially answered.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
Armeee wrote: I am fortunate to live in a place where people still answer the door. Anyways, it was my kid who initially answered.
Please read my sig, it has been updated with something nice.
11b guide
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
mmmken wrote: As for doorbell ringers - I don't open or even look out the door for anyone unless they call me in advance anymore because of all these door-to-door scammers.
Doesn't that make you feel like a prisoner in your own home?

I think it's a pretty sad state of affairs if one has to be worried about opening the door in broad daylight.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
krs wrote: Doesn't that make you feel like a prisoner in your own home?

I think it's a pretty sad state of affairs if one has to be worried about opening the door in broad daylight.
Agreed. There are a lot of legitimate reasons why people come to the door. When I worked on the Census and we went to homes and people didn't answer the door although we knew they were home, that counted as a refusal and was noted which could have subjected them to prosecution. Most people comply when threatened with prosecution but it should never have to get to that.

Rather than being afraid to answer our doors, we should be lobbying our MPPs to do something about these door to door scammers.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A

Please read my sig.
11b guide
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A

Cheap Cat wrote: Agreed. There are a lot of legitimate reasons why people come to the door. When I worked on the Census and we went to homes and people didn't answer the door although we knew they were home, that counted as a refusal and was noted which could have subjected them to prosecution. Most people comply when threatened with prosecution but it should never have to get to that.

Rather than being afraid to answer our doors, we should be lobbying our MPPs to do something about these door to door scammers.
Wrong.

We're not afraid or worried.

We simply do not need to deal with scum, they're not worthy of our attention.
11b guide

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)