Careers

Is becoming an Auto Mechanic a good career choice???

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2007 9:19 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
May 22, 2007
82 posts

i've been told at first it's really rough and your treated pretty bad as an apprentice, i've worked on cars all throughout high school and even worked at a Lube place where I had a bad experience

is it a good career choice? is anyone here an Auto Mechanic?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2002
1025 posts
OTTAWA
yes, open your own garage once you are familiar with what you are doing. A lot of mechanics become millionaire this way.
:: My Heatware ::
8452 posts
7 upvotes
I'd say yes, if you enjoy it
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
May 13, 2006
442 posts
Toronto
As long as you don't become one of those dirtbags that cheats its customers

Subaru Mechanics cost $80/hr not sure how much goes into their pocket

But if u open up your own garage, be prepared for a slow start while you build up your rep.

If you make it big, make sure to give your RFD community a discount :-0
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5526 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
I use to work in a shop part time. The owner's story is much like most mech's, they all started off in some crappy little shop. Learned the trade..LOTS OF HARD WORK. Now he owns a mech shop, body shop, and paint shop. He never advertises and only open mon-fri (not weekends) because he can. He knows he's good at what he does and so does all his clients.

Problems I see is that with the advancement in technology, either cars will need less maintence, cars are too advanced/complicated for the avg mech to fix, or cars are so well built these days, they don't need maintenence for at least the new car warranty period. Don't even get started with the cost of equipement..every car needs some special tool or equipment to do something. (i.e. need a special MB tool to push out the lower control arms busing on a W202 thought I did make my own tool..it took me 2 hours to find the part and make it).

You won't make money on oil changes..most mechs lose money on oil changes.

I think there's already a flood of independant auto mechs already.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
2 upvotes
It should be a great career for those that likes hands-on works and tuning up cars and stuff. In fact, I have thought about obtaining a business degree (currently), then go to college for automotive. Then I can start working as a mechanic and later on, I can perhaps have my own business.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
My dad has been a mechanic for 25+ years. He likes it, but the downside is it is very dirty work.

Wages are very good. Not many fields where you can make $30+/hr within 4 years of starting school. Heavy Duty mechanics are in high demans, as are aircraft mechanics.
Nov 28, 2006
116 posts
Its more of a job than a career. Some big shops like dealerships use the system of teams. Your team may be 5 guys who pool the workload hours. At the end of the shift each guy gets 1/5 of the hrs. Workplace atmosphere varies drasticaly at shops.

There is nothing stopping you from talking to these guys and you should approach a shop and see if they will let you hang out for a few hrs to get the feel for it.
May 13, 2006
442 posts
Toronto
If u are still in highschool u can get a co-op with an auto dealership

I remember my buddy worked for Acura (in the garage) in grade 11, and got 2 credits for it
[OP]
Banned
May 22, 2007
82 posts
i heard the apprenticeship is very tough and ur treated like crap

i know my cars but i'm having second thoughts about this as a career, i worked at a shop and was treated bad and was told to lie to customers and rip them off
Mar 15, 2006
861 posts
6 upvotes
Well... you haven't really given us your other options... but I'll say that if you really like what you do... why not... Tradesmen are going to be in high demand considering this society can't fix anything by themselves anymore (I definitely fall into this category).
The things you own end up owning you.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1784 posts
8 upvotes
Oshawa
hmmm....So many ways to answer this. Mechanics in any specific field OTHER than Auto, yes it's a very good career. Auto Mechanics have started a transition since the inclusion of OBD in cars. This transition is symptomatic of the higher technology included in most cars nowadays, thusly you no longer "Fix" anything but rather diagnose and replace. Sounds easier right? Not really. If your ultimate goal is to work a Dealer you whole life, super. But if you want to eventually own your own shop, the initial tools needed to diagnose the cars is astronomic, plus you are at the mercy of the dealer parts, which leave you little room to markup (reasonably :) ) and make a well deserved profit.
Don't let this scare you, this is just from mine and many others experience. There are so many alternatives to just AUTO mechanics that you really have many options ahead of you. In just the auto department there are things like 'Auto Body & Collision repairs' (very profitable) Mechanical Engineering, and other specialized careers such as Small engine Mechanic, Motorcycle Mechanic, Marine Mechanic, Golf Course Technician...etc...
Really research this and see what best appeals to you. But from my experience an Auto Mechanic is not a job with a great future. Best of luck, Apprenticeships are also a GREAT route.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34261 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
g0f15h wrote:
May 25th, 2007 3:31 pm
Its more of a job than a career. Some big shops like dealerships use the system of teams. Your team may be 5 guys who pool the workload hours. At the end of the shift each guy gets 1/5 of the hrs. Workplace atmosphere varies drasticaly at shops.

There is nothing stopping you from talking to these guys and you should approach a shop and see if they will let you hang out for a few hrs to get the feel for it.
you make it seem like they dont get paid much.
TRadesman can make A LOT of money...
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
× < >