Careers

becoming a border service officer at 36...

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 8:36 am
[OP]
Oct 26, 2018
12 posts

becoming a border service officer at 36...

I’m 36 and applying to be a border service officer.
They tell me there is no mandatory retirement age however I’m not sure that I would feel confident making arrests when I’m in my 60’s. I’ll need to work until that age as I’m starting at 36 (presuming I’m hired).
Could I transfer fairly easily to a different federal government job when I’m older?
If yes....
Would the pension be the same/bso pension transfer over?
Thanks in advance for answers/advice.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2535 posts
1854 upvotes
You can apply for any other federal government job. Most government jobs are internal. Only about 1% of government jobs are advertised externally. Your pension and benefits generally go with you unless you go to a department that is a separate employer and then there may be some paperwork to transfer everything over.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2098 posts
1177 upvotes
Being a border officer is not the same as being a cop. Yes you may have to make arrests but it’s not like you’ll be chasing people down.

Outside of shooting a moose and some accidental discharges, officers have never discharged a weapon while on duty.

While yes there was a BSO that was tragically murdered a few years ago, this was not a confrontational situation and almost happened randomly.

There are many not physical positions that you could transition into as a BSO (for example, when working at a land crossing, working inside assessing the duties to be paid). There are many positions as an Inland Enforcement Officer where you would essentially be assigned to administrative tasks only.

I wouldn’t worry too much about starting this job now and worrying about something in 24 years. If it’s something you want to do, go for it.

You had better start saving though. Aside from a small stipend, you don’t get paid for the 4 months in training when you’re in Rigaud.
Last edited by OldMarriedGuy on Feb 4th, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2584 posts
563 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
if you watch border security the tv show, most of the CBSA agents look to be in their mid 30's anyway so u fit the age criteria quite well.
Hi
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1653 posts
670 upvotes
Ottawa
As above said don't worry about being old. Anyway there are lots of desk jobs. Also keep in mind you don't need to work until 60? You can retire earlier than that with a reduced pension (and with a penalty).
[OP]
Oct 26, 2018
12 posts
Thanks for the advice.

Speaking of pay/saving, it looks like the pay is the same across Canada (although I could be wrong about that). When comparing say Windsor and Mississauga I would imagine that that could be a significant factor.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2098 posts
1177 upvotes
HunterE1531 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 11:34 am
Thanks for the advice.

Speaking of pay/saving, it looks like the pay is the same across Canada (although I could be wrong about that). When comparing say Windsor and Mississauga I would imagine that that could be a significant factor.
It’s the same.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28777 posts
14586 upvotes
Ottawa
Depending where you will be posted, you could be working at the airport, screening shipments for illegal contraband and weapons.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
3226 posts
619 upvotes
Toronto
Good luck. good paying job, lots of OT.
Cash Rebate Realtor
Full-time & Full Service
Homelife Bayview

President Award 2018
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1653 posts
670 upvotes
Ottawa
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:50 pm
It’s the same.
Yes only differential in Canada is for working up north. Vancouver or Moncton same pay.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2018
12 posts
I'm going to see my eye doctor to see if I meet the vision requirements.

You need to see at least 6/9 in the better eye and at least 6/15 in the other eye. That is corrected.

I wear glasses and I think I should be okay but who knows.

We will see.....please wish me luck!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28777 posts
14586 upvotes
Ottawa
HunterE1531 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 6:24 am
I'm going to see my eye doctor to see if I meet the vision requirements.

You need to see at least 6/9 in the better eye and at least 6/15 in the other eye. That is corrected.

I wear glasses and I think I should be okay but who knows.

We will see.....please wish me luck!!!
You'll get it :)
Dec 26, 2017
276 posts
164 upvotes
how can someone apply for a job like this? ive been interested in one since i live on a border city but i find it hard to get in or see a posting