Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 17, 2014
705 posts
3 upvotes
Bramledesh

becoming a CBSA Officer

Been watchin Border Security on NGC for the past few weeks and just wondering if this line of job promises security, career enjoyment and whatnot.

Also, is this a good job for married women who have kids or plan to have kids?
69 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1418 posts
321 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
You'll get lots of enjoyment aggravating people severely for little to no justifiable reason.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3808 posts
834 upvotes
Charlottetown
didn't the Government just lay-off a bunch of them this Winter?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bandolera wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 10:09 am
Been watchin Border Security on NGC for the past few weeks and just wondering if this line of job promises security, career enjoyment and whatnot.

Also, is this a good job for married women who have kids or plan to have kids?
It's a government job, your benefits will be above average. Keep in mind, they say "Able to work anywhere in Canada", and that's non-negotiable, end if story.

Chances are you'll be living in a border town, some if which are small. The show had a lot if airport entry footage.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2008
1303 posts
52 upvotes
Keep an eye on jobs.gc.ca CBSA posts once or twice a year and the job ad lasts only for a few days before they take it down. Three hours on the website 1000 applications. Good luck
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1616 posts
101 upvotes
Scarborough
AndrewShev wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 1:39 pm
Keep an eye on jobs.gc.ca CBSA posts once or twice a year and the job ad lasts only for a few days before they take it down. Three hours on the website 1000 applications. Good luck
The job postings are actually open ended, the CBSA recruits continuously. There are typically two rounds of testing per year in any given region, so it could be up to 6 months after you apply before you actually begin the process. The GTA region actually had its last round of testing two or three weeks ago, so you're probably looking at February 2015 for the next round.

Keep in mind that training lasts 18 weeks in Quebec and you must be willing to be posted anywhere in Canada. If you've got family/kids, you'll be away for quite a while and once you graduate you'll probably end up moving off to some far flung place in this huge country of ours. It's not gonna be the career for you if you cannot uproot your family.

Also note that they very recently implemented a new fitness standard for recruits. Look up the PARE test on Youtube, you've got to be able to do that test in under 4 minutes and 45 seconds.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $8/month plan
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5139 posts
519 upvotes
Scarborough
inspecting people's food and dirty laundry and asking them if they packed the bags themselves (all day).

It can get tiring/exhausting pretty much.......exposure possible to pretty much anything......
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
4670 posts
251 upvotes
flafson wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 12:44 pm
You say that like they need to hold Uranium in their hand. Firearms are nothing once you're trained properly.
Consider the implications of accepting a job where your employer requires you to carry a firearm: yes, they will likely train you properly so that you can use the weapon responsibly, hit what you are aiming at most of the time, and not shoot yourself or someone accidentally. But this is not about training to be an Olympic target shooter; your employer is arming you for a reason - they feel that the job entails some risk, perhaps a risk that you will have to deal with someone in an adversarial situation who is also armed. Am I being unreasonable to suggest that some women with children (or soon to have children) might not be completely comfortable with a job like this?
Aug 30, 2014
48 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
When I did the 3 hr test, it was in a room of about 2000.
People were walking out throughout the test.
I was told the top 5% may get a call.
I passed with 85% and didn't get a call.

Smelling exhaust all day, people bitching and lying to you all day.
It's a interesting job.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2008
1303 posts
52 upvotes
go to corrections instead. Similar job, higher pay, more chances
Jun 1, 2012
791 posts
49 upvotes
Its a great career. However, the competition for getting in is intense. You need to make yourself stand out by getting the pre-requisites done well in advance ( fire arms safety course, first aid etc.) and having something extra. Consider learning french / spanish. It will increase your chances dramatically.
"Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."—Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4906 posts
3013 upvotes
Vancouver
AndrewShev wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 5:04 pm
go to corrections instead. Similar job, higher pay, more chances
+1

Even better, Sheriff's department (courts).
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1616 posts
101 upvotes
Scarborough
Respect101 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 4:52 pm
When I did the 3 hr test, it was in a room of about 2000.
People were walking out throughout the test.
I was told the top 5% may get a call.
I passed with 85% and didn't get a call.
Contacts are done entirely through email. You sure you didn't miss your invitation to do the interview or psychological assessment? 85% should be plenty to see you through to the next round.

But yeah, the testing is rough. Apparently the majority of applicants fail one (or both) of the tests, the number I've heard bandied around is that fewer than 20% of applicants make it through the testing stage. Based on the number of people I saw at the subsequent psychological assessment, 20% might even be generous.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $8/month plan