Tags:
None
Aug 30, 2014
48 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
tritium4ever wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 10:30 pm
Contacts are done entirely through email. You sure you didn't miss your invitation to do the interview or psychological assessment? 85% should be plenty to see you through to the next round.

But yeah, the testing is rough. Apparently the majority of applicants fail one (or both) of the tests, the number I've heard bandied around is that fewer than 20% of applicants make it through the testing stage. Based on the number of people I saw at the subsequent psychological assessment, 20% might even be generous.

Maybe I missed the email. I am happy with where I am at now.
I was told new officers work in the post office or the ports.
Scanning mail all day will give me an headache.
Crawling around in foreign ships does not sound like a good idea.
Everyone seems to want the airport or border.
May 21, 2012
236 posts
17 upvotes
This is a highly competitive field. All you need is 2 years of post secondary education-which everyone has.

First thing to do is to submit your resume.

Then you'll be called for a written exam that consists of memory skills, verbal skills, and math skills. All which are under gr 12 level. There's about 500+ people in te same room with you in a timed environment.

If you receive a pass, you'll get an interview and go from there.

Pass that and you're on your way to Rigaud.

Make sure you pass that.

Then score high, so you can achieve your preferences of where to work, but don't be surprised f they ask you to work in Yukon at some sub-port.

Somewhere in the process will be panel and behavioural interview.

You make 50-60k including overtime pay and night shifts. I've read that at the smaller borders, you spend a lot of time just watching movies because only trucks pass by.

I applied before. My suggestion, do not aim for this as your main career. The chances of getting in is slim and it's best to have multiple backup plans. I suggest studying something useful and apply every there and then.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
CheapScotch wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 4:50 pm
Consider the implications of accepting a job where your employer requires you to carry a firearm: yes, they will likely train you properly so that you can use the weapon responsibly, hit what you are aiming at most of the time, and not shoot yourself or someone accidentally. But this is not about training to be an Olympic target shooter; your employer is arming you for a reason - they feel that the job entails some risk, perhaps a risk that you will have to deal with someone in an adversarial situation who is also armed. Am I being unreasonable to suggest that some women with children (or soon to have children) might not be completely comfortable with a job like this?
No they are only being armed since then the officers can ask for more pay and the feds can do more of their window dressing of security theater

When was last time if ever you heard any CBSA actually having to draw their weapons? We have rcmps to shoot and taser tourists who don't speak English and yield a stapler

CBSA is just cashier for govt
[OP]
Nov 17, 2014
705 posts
3 upvotes
Bramledesh
Wow great info. Thank you! I actually have a firearm license!

I wanted to be more like a Visa Officer, the ones who stamp passports and issue work/study permits and such to foreigners. Do CBSA officers have the same responsibilities?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4080 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
AndrewShev wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 5:04 pm
go to corrections instead. Similar job, higher pay, more chances
FB-03 and CX-01 are within a few hundred bucks of each other at top of scale. And I would say it's a way crappier job based on how many people leave federal corrections for cbsa. Provincial corrections generally pay less and have worst conditions. The only part I would agree with is having more opportunity.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4080 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
bandolera wrote:
Oct 24th, 2014 6:07 pm
Wow great info. Thank you! I actually have a firearm license!

I wanted to be more like a Visa Officer, the ones who stamp passports and issue work/study permits and such to foreigners. Do CBSA officers have the same responsibilities?
All the old CIC responsibilities at the port of entry went to cbsa, so if it can be done upon entry, cbsa does it. CIC stil does all inland applications. VISA officers abroad aren't CBSA either.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2008
1303 posts
52 upvotes
AB correction officers clear on average 80k per year, and that's not even close to the top.
Aug 30, 2014
48 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
rommelrommel wrote:
Oct 24th, 2014 8:21 pm
FB-03 and CX-01 are within a few hundred bucks of each other at top of scale. And I would say it's a way crappier job based on how many people leave federal corrections for cbsa. Provincial corrections generally pay less and have worst conditions. The only part I would agree with is having more opportunity.
Not true.
In my 10 years with CSC ... only know 1 that went to CBSA.
That was because he was scared of inmates.

flafson wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 12:44 pm
Firearms are nothing once you're trained properly.

I never shot a gun before joining CSC.
I scored perfect in training.
Shooting is not that hard.
It's all about safe handling of firearms (safe direction, finger not on trigger unless shooting etc...)
AndrewShev wrote:
Oct 24th, 2014 10:19 pm
AB correction officers clear on average 80k per year, and that's not even close to the top.

CX II ($75,000)with shift diff ($2500), stat pay (93.5 hrs @ 1.5x = $5200), severance ($1700) ... that's almost $85k without any OT.
With some OT ... $100k+ is very achievable.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4080 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
AndrewShev wrote:
Oct 24th, 2014 10:19 pm
What's the base salary? If you want to talk OT I know of a BSO that made over 170k last year...
Aug 30, 2014
48 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
rommelrommel wrote:
Oct 25th, 2014 12:29 am
What's the base salary? If you want to talk OT I know of a BSO that made over 170k last year...
CX I base $70k
CX II base $75k

I have seen CX IIs made 180k +
My best so far is 120k.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4080 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
nomorepenniestopinch wrote:
Oct 25th, 2014 1:44 pm
In the GVRD?
Remember that you have to be mildly insane to work enough OT to make 100k of overtime, at least IMO.
Aug 30, 2014
48 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
rommelrommel wrote:
Oct 25th, 2014 6:49 pm
Remember that you have to be mildly insane to work enough OT to make 100k of overtime, at least IMO.
2 OT shifts per month will get us almost 100k.
That does not sound insane to me.

$85k as explained in my earlier post.
$520 per OT = $12,500

$97,500 not bad only 2 OT shifts per month
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1616 posts
101 upvotes
Scarborough
Respect101 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2014 1:00 am
CX I base $70k
CX II base $75k
Where are you getting these numbers from? The collective agreement says CX-1 starts at 56k, while the FB-2 starts at 58k.

The CX-1 pay scale sure ramps up faster than FB-2 though.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $8/month plan