None
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1388 posts
533 upvotes
OTTAWA
amkorp wrote:
May 30th, 2017 2:16 pm
It's not just that you have to have taken the firearms safety courses. I believe the requirement is that you must be licensed with a valid RPAL.

Just to give you an idea of the time frame to get the Restricted Possession and Acquisition License, if you were to get a course date for this coming weekend June 2/3 (which is unlikely, but for argument's sake let's say it is).

You do the courses, and you pass the tests (both written and practical). Your results are then verified by the provincial CFO. This could take up to 4 weeks. You fill out the RCMP application and submit that to New Brunswick. There is a mandatory 28 day waiting period before you application even gets looked at. Hopefully by then you've gotten your certified test results back from the CFO and you send those in to the RCMP. They process your application and contact you and your references as well as do a full background check.

Once that is all done, your application gets sent to the provincial firearms office (at least this is the case for Ontario and Alberta). Once with the provincial CFO it could take another month or more to get approved (it's quicker if you don't have any history of violence, divorce, mental illness, recent job loss or criminal history) but there are reports of waiting up to 6 months before the license gets approved.

There are reports of people waiting upwards of a year since submitting their applications to get their license.

It's a lengthy process, seems like Canada doesn't really want anyone to be able to legally own firearms. :rolleyes:
Yeah you prefer our neighbours approach?
Sep 29, 2008
925 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 2:31 am
Yeah you prefer our neighbours approach?
Ok?
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2860 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
tritium4ever wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 1:02 pm
Nobody skips the written tests unless you've already done them (for another application process) and can supply the results. The questions in both the GCT2 and WCPT are at the high school level and thus shouldn't be a challenge individually, but overall the tests are actually quite difficult because there are a ton of questions and you aren't given very much time to do them.

The whole application process will seriously test your patience. The written testing happens twice a year in any given region, so you could be waiting up to 6 months to take them. Depending on where you live you may have to travel extensively to reach the testing locations (I've heard of people needing to fly to reach their tests...yikes). Competition is fierce because the job requirements are relatively easy to meet and the pay and benefits are excellent.

Here was my timeline when I went through the process a few years ago:

Oct: Applied online
Feb. 19: Invitation to written testing on Feb 27
Mar. 31: Invitation to psychological testing on Apr. 10
Apr. 28: Invitation to interview on May 8
Jun. 6: Received written test results
Jun. 7: Received psych test and interview results

That's as far as I went. Keep in mind that timelines vary by region and even from one recruitment cycle to the next, so don't take any of this as gospel. One thing you'll notice is how they seem to give very little lead time between invitation and testing, which might be a problem for people who can't easily get time off work/school on short notice.
I did not have to do a written test. I sent in Univ transcript, and that was it.
Realtor

Homelife Bayview
Aug 1, 2018
16 posts
5 upvotes
Moncton
Hey everybody!!!

This is probably the only thread I found about the CBSA application/selection process.

have a question: im a permanent resident, landed in 2016. Always wanted to work in border security, so decided to apply for the CBSA Officer trainee. Is here anybody who IS a CBSA officer now, just wanted to ask couple of questions about the worklife and responsibilities. And also to find out how hard and lengthy the process of application is. Thanks in advance.
It's better to look ahead and prepare than look back and regret...
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1146 posts
205 upvotes
Vancouver
also interested in the field but my goal is working in YVR
Aug 1, 2018
16 posts
5 upvotes
Moncton
FYI, I applied for my Firearm safety course. Then called to sign up for the retricted firearm safety course and was told that without the first one, they could not enrol me on the retrcited one... Weird. The guy at the energy department said: "Oh. good to know. See, I learn something new every day." :D So it costed 70.50 taxes in in NB. Payment via Credit card right away. The next course is in the mid september.
It's better to look ahead and prepare than look back and regret...
Temp. Banned
Feb 2, 2014
1412 posts
915 upvotes
The 6
Confidence wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 11:40 pm

You make 50-60k including overtime pay and night shifts.
You can make way more than this in payoffs to turn a blind eye to smugglers. Sweet gig.
Sep 10, 2018
1 posts
Hello All,
I recently applied for BSF18J-019776-000005 as a CBSA Officer Trainee - Developmental Program. And my status shows this " Your application has been retained. You will be contacted directly if you are to be assessed further.". Is this normal or others get a direct email for recruitment? Because this statement does not mean anything or is different from Included in Inventory.
Help would be appreciated. Thanks
Jan 23, 2017
917 posts
743 upvotes
Calgary
redflaguser007 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 12:36 pm
Hello All,
I recently applied for BSF18J-019776-000005 as a CBSA Officer Trainee - Developmental Program. And my status shows this " Your application has been retained. You will be contacted directly if you are to be assessed further.". Is this normal or others get a direct email for recruitment? Because this statement does not mean anything or is different from Included in Inventory.
Help would be appreciated. Thanks
Go to Blueline, there's a ridiculous amount of information there from applicants and LEO's nationwide.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1300 posts
2771 upvotes
Toronto
If anyone is interested, there is currently a selection process for FB-02 CBSA Officer Trainee - Developmental Program. Closes February 8.

https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/ ... er=1252457

Some changes to the selection process are:
-no requirement to have the restricted and non-restricted firearms courses completed prior to application;
-new online Officer Trainee Entrance Exam (OTEE) that every applicant will be invited to complete;
-applicants can indicate three preferred locations where they would like to be posted.