• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2006 2:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2002
1177 posts
9 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:Most police officers have University degrees.
Show us some stats to back this up.

I highly doubt that most ( over 50% ) have a university degree.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
1258 posts
405 upvotes
GTA
My friend is a police officer and he told me it's a long and lengthy process. If you look at requirements for a police officer it says must process a minimum of High School education. People must understand that applying as a police officer is like applying for any other career. Police recruiters are only going to pick the best and if you only have High School education you won't likely be picked if another person has a college or university education. There are many people who want to become a police officer so there will be competition. Now education is not only one of the requirements. Like others have said they look at volunteer work and work experience.

Here is the first step to become a police officer. You have to obtain a certificate from Applicant Testing Services first to start the process.

http://www.applicanttesting.com/qualifications.htm

$280.00 Testing Cost + $19.60 (GST) = $299.60 TOTAL

Stage 1

1. Police Analytical Thinking Inventory (PATI)
- The Police Analytical Thinking Inventory is a timed pencil and paper test designed to measure aptitudes which are necessary for a career in policing. The prescribed waiting period to retest is 6 months.

2. Written Communication Test (WCT)
- The Written communication Test is a pencil and paper test which must be completed within one hour. It evaluates the candidate's ability to organize information in a clear, coherent and comprehensive manner and to make conclusions from given facts. The candidate is presented with a scenario in which factual details are jumbled or represented in a non-chronological manner. The prescribed waiting period to retest is 6 months.

3. Physical Readiness Evaluation for Police (PREP)
- The PREP Test is essential to show that police constable recruits possess the physical capabilities to meet the rigorous demands encountered in today's policing. It is comprised of three separate components: a screening component to ensure your physical readiness and well-being, and two performance components to assess your physical capability (The Pursuit and Restraint Circuit and the Aerobic Shuttle Run).
Applicants are required to complete the Physical Activity readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q);

Applicants' pre-exercise blood pressure and heart rate is measured.

Participants are required to sign an Informed Consent Form which contains information about each component of the PREP and identifies any risks associated with participation.

The retest waiting period for the PREP test is 3 months.

Stage 2 (Stage 1 Successful Candidates)

Behavioural Personnel Assessment Device for Police (B-Pad)

Stage 3

After you pass all their tests then you can apply to any police service and from there it's a waiting game. It can take weeks to months to receive a phone call from a recruiter. Once you get a call you will have several interviews to do. Once you pass that they will conduct background checks, and a psychological test.

Stage 4

Once you pass all of that then you will have to attend Police College for about 4 months. There you will also have to pass all the exams and training to become a police officer.
GOOD LUCK!
Feb 1, 2006
645 posts
87 upvotes
The above :arrowu: pretty much answered the question fully. My boyfriend just got in Metro and went through the exact process. You def. need experience, volunteer, and education. Also, networking was VERY important for him. Also, applying to a unit in your region gives you better chances :) The interview process is 3-4 hours long..be prepared!!!

LOL...average age is 27? so is my guy :)
~snow white~
Mar 28, 2006
679 posts
59 upvotes
thx alot this explains it very well. I'm living in Brampton, Ontario so i will be applying for Peel Region, is it the same process for that or is it little different because i heard you can just go do the tests and go on from there. Is there a police officer here that i can chat with me for questions and answered. Pls and thx u for your replies.
aznxtambOy wrote:My friend is a police officer and he told me it's a long and lengthy process. If you look at requirements for a police officer it says must process a minimum of High School education. People must understand that applying as a police officer is like applying for any other career. Police recruiters are only going to pick the best and if you only have High School education you won't likely be picked if another person has a college or university education. There are many people who want to become a police officer so there will be competition. Now education is not only one of the requirements. Like others have said they look at volunteer work and work experience.

Here is the first step to become a police officer. You have to obtain a certificate from Applicant Testing Services first to start the process.

http://www.applicanttesting.com/qualifications.htm

$280.00 Testing Cost + $19.60 (GST) = $299.60 TOTAL

Stage 1

1. Police Analytical Thinking Inventory (PATI)
- The Police Analytical Thinking Inventory is a timed pencil and paper test designed to measure aptitudes which are necessary for a career in policing. The prescribed waiting period to retest is 6 months.

2. Written Communication Test (WCT)
- The Written communication Test is a pencil and paper test which must be completed within one hour. It evaluates the candidate's ability to organize information in a clear, coherent and comprehensive manner and to make conclusions from given facts. The candidate is presented with a scenario in which factual details are jumbled or represented in a non-chronological manner. The prescribed waiting period to retest is 6 months.

3. Physical Readiness Evaluation for Police (PREP)
- The PREP Test is essential to show that police constable recruits possess the physical capabilities to meet the rigorous demands encountered in today's policing. It is comprised of three separate components: a screening component to ensure your physical readiness and well-being, and two performance components to assess your physical capability (The Pursuit and Restraint Circuit and the Aerobic Shuttle Run).
Applicants are required to complete the Physical Activity readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q);

Applicants' pre-exercise blood pressure and heart rate is measured.

Participants are required to sign an Informed Consent Form which contains information about each component of the PREP and identifies any risks associated with participation.

The retest waiting period for the PREP test is 3 months.

Stage 2 (Stage 1 Successful Candidates)

Behavioural Personnel Assessment Device for Police (B-Pad)

Stage 3

After you pass all their tests then you can apply to any police service and from there it's a waiting game. It can take weeks to months to receive a phone call from a recruiter. Once you get a call you will have several interviews to do. Once you pass that they will conduct background checks, and a psychological test.

Stage 4

Once you pass all of that then you will have to attend Police College for about 4 months. There you will also have to pass all the exams and training to become a police officer.
GOOD LUCK!
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2774 posts
55 upvotes
The OP asked for advice on how to get into the force. Sure you do not NEED a degree, but it really helps if you do.

From Source
[QUOTE]The class is one-fifth women, close to a quarter of them visible minorities; nearly two-thirds have post-secondary degrees.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention most of new hires speak a second language. Some w/o education might have military / court services other good experiences. It's a competitive process. All I'm saying it's not just a "back up" plan after finishing high school.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
1258 posts
405 upvotes
GTA
JugaJatt wrote:thx alot this explains it very well. I'm living in Brampton, Ontario so i will be applying for Peel Region, is it the same process for that or is it little different because i heard you can just go do the tests and go on from there. Is there a police officer here that i can chat with me for questions and answered. Pls and thx u for your replies.
For Peel Region it is a little different, they conduct their own testing. You have to complete a written test and once you pass that then you do a physical test.

Stage 1

Written Test - Analytical Reasoning Testing and Intellectual Reasoning Testing

Stage 2

a) 1.5 Mile Run (2.4 kms)
b) Push Ups
c) Curl-Ups (Version of a sit-up)
d) Flexibility
e) 100 Yard Sprint (91.4 metres)
f) Body Fat Test
g) Chin Ups
h) Bench Press (Universal Machine)

An overall mark of 75% is required to pass.

Stage 3

- Attend a behavioural specific interview with a Recruiting Bureau Investigator.
- Competency a Competency Assessment Test (Psychological Testing).
- Background investigation (includes Credit Bureau inquiry) conducted by a Recruiting Bureau Investigator.
- Final Selection Board interview.
- Final medical examination by Peel Regional Police designated medical practitioners.

Stage 4

Then attend the Ontario Police College for about 4 months and have to pass all the exams and training.

You can go to their website and it will explain the whole process with more details. You can also call a recruiter to answer all your questions.

But if you decide to apply to any other Police Services in Ontario, keep in mind you have to go through ATS first then apply to those services.
Jan 31, 2004
126 posts
Hobo Killing Fields
beerbaron105 wrote:you couldn't be more way off
there are over 10,000 police officers in the southern ontario region, i can assure you less then 1% of that number is corrupt
A: Even 100 corrupt cops is too many.
B: You could not assure anybody less then 1% of cops are corrupt without being with every single police officer 24-7.
C: I bought a gram of cocaine and 20 pills of extasy off a police officer less then a month ago. But that was in Alberta.
D: If you have a Hundred dollar bill tucked in with your insurance in Calgary, 25% of time you wont get the ticket, but the bill will be gone. (im 1 for 4)
Quote From John Hui

that how dumb you are. company in germany created the internet not till 1990's. you don't make sense.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
1258 posts
405 upvotes
GTA
Likestuff4free wrote:A: Even 100 corrupt cops is too many.
B: You could not assure anybody less then 1% of cops are corrupt without being with every single police officer 24-7.
C: I bought a gram of cocaine and 20 pills of extasy off a police officer less then a month ago. But that was in Alberta.
D: If you have a Hundred dollar bill tucked in with your insurance in Calgary, 25% of time you wont get the ticket, but the bill will be gone. (im 1 for 4)
There's bound to be a bad apple in a bunch and that's what people will pick on. Most cops out there are good and I'm thankful most cops do the right thing.

I attended the funeral for Const. John Atkinson in Windsor where he was shot to death by 2 punks! I hope they burn in HELL!
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2823 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
unfortunately, one bad apple is one too many.

just imagine yourself coming in contact with that one bad police officer. A smart & corrupt officer has the power to legally ruin your life.

--

just like how one child molester in your neighbourhood is one too many.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
impronto wrote:beerbaron, which police force you applying for?
im writing the RCMP entrance exam this tuesday, but thats not my first choice mostly because i dont want to work in another province.

I am hoping to do my ATS testing this fall then any service other then Peel could be a potential candidate in the GTA
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
UrbanPoet wrote:Most police officers have University degrees.
incorrect

i attended a Metro graduation ceremony in the spring and out of the 117 recruits or so only 30 had post secondary
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
Likestuff4free wrote:A: Even 100 corrupt cops is too many.

do you not think their are bad businessmen out there?
bad politicians?
bad doctors, dentists, chiro?
bad teachers?
etc etc etc
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2006
1662 posts
72 upvotes
beerbaron105 wrote:im writing the RCMP entrance exam this tuesday...
do not forget your:
1. transcript
2. drivers license
3. birth certificate

They won't let you in. Many people try anyways and waste everyone's time. Also if you didn't register, you don't get in. when I wrote, there must have been at least 40% who were sent away.

Exam is pretty easy.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2774 posts
55 upvotes
beerbaron105 wrote:incorrect

i attended a Metro graduation ceremony in the spring and out of the 117 recruits or so only 30 had post secondary

Did you miss my post? This is from a T.O. police website

The class is one-fifth women, close to a quarter of them visible minorities; nearly two-thirds have post-secondary degrees.

So what kind of job experience do you have? You should know rarely do police hire young people with little work experience and no education. The youngest guy hired last year was 23 I believe. But the average is 27 ish almost every year.

I'm just gaving you advice, you don't have to believe me. Do you have any volunteer experience? It's the most important thing after good work experience.

It is true you do not need a degree or diploma, but there must be good work and volunteer experience.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
5 upvotes
Is it hard to be a police officer? Not in terms of getting in, but the duties. Unlike Hong Kong or elsewhere, theres like no officers patroling the streets.The only time I see them is either drinking coffee or sitting in the car dealing with the speeding cars. Heck, not to be offensive or anything, but some of the police (women and men) are rather fat or not as fit. And what happens when *serious* issue occurs? Most of the time they just send in "swat-alike" teams. Are there other major duties they carry?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
chickenbones wrote:Did you miss my post? This is from a T.O. police website

The class is one-fifth women, close to a quarter of them visible minorities; nearly two-thirds have post-secondary degrees.

So what kind of job experience do you have? You should know rarely do police hire young people with little work experience and no education. The youngest guy hired last year was 23 I believe. But the average is 27 ish almost every year.

I'm just gaving you advice, you don't have to believe me. Do you have any volunteer experience? It's the most important thing after good work experience.

It is true you do not need a degree or diploma, but there must be good work and volunteer experience.
i have a diploma, i have volunteer hours and am working to get more, you speak like i have never researched what is required by a police service. i am well aware of life experience, however i have seen guys as young as 20 get hired, as long as u can successfully sell your self in the interviews and pass all their testing.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
gamer123 wrote:Is it hard to be a police officer? Not in terms of getting in, but the duties. Unlike Hong Kong or elsewhere, theres like no officers patroling the streets.The only time I see them is either drinking coffee or sitting in the car dealing with the speeding cars. Heck, not to be offensive or anything, but some of the police (women and men) are rather fat or not as fit. And what happens when *serious* issue occurs? Most of the time they just send in "swat-alike" teams. Are there other major duties they carry?
there are plenty of beat cops in the downtown cores of both hamilton and toronto, but living in markham u would never see that, its not efficient to walk the beat in a more spread out community.

i dont want to poke fun, but are you slow? cops have many duties, they dont just catch speeders and drink coffee, they attend domestics, loud parties, bars, break up fights, inform loved ones their family members passed away, died in a car crash, murderered, go to accident scenes, recreate the accident, pick up the body parts, investigate criems of all sorts, shoplifters, patrol areas for potential crime, talk to civilians, etc etc etc, there is so much to list.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
5 upvotes
Ah, so I guess being a police might be easier than another elsewhere.
May 7, 2005
836 posts
that what the recent complaints are, the cops in the Toronto on average have to work much harder than in the surrounding GTA, a lot are moving out into the 905 to cope

I lived in windsor, what violent crime is there? most of the cops are rented out to the clubs