Becoming a police officer!

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2006 2:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2285 posts
I don't know why people hate cops, I find cops to be an essential service. I like when they go on the megaphone and say in a monotone voice "STOP RUNNING AWAY, THIS IS THE POLICE!" and the criminals run away. It reminds me of ROBOCOP, my 2nd favorite movie. A few lines I would tell criminals if I were a cop would be "Drop it!" "Your move creep" and "Dead or alive you are comming with me". If speaking at an elementary school I would tell the kids to "stay out of trouble".
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
wetsnot wrote:do not forget your:
1. transcript
2. drivers license
3. birth certificate

They won't let you in. Many people try anyways and waste everyone's time. Also if you didn't register, you don't get in. when I wrote, there must have been at least 40% who were sent away.

Exam is pretty easy.
i am aware, i already went to an information session and registered, i also hvae my documents, thanks tho.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
coomar wrote:that what the recent complaints are, the cops in the Toronto on average have to work much harder than in the surrounding GTA, a lot are moving out into the 905 to cope

I lived in windsor, what violent crime is there? most of the cops are rented out to the clubs
it depends, while metro cops might go from call to call alot, policing up north is equally difficult when you have a very small detachment with minimal backup, also you cant just hand off the report to a specialized department, up north YOU ARE the specialized department.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
beerbaron105 wrote:you couldn't be more way off
there are over 10,000 police officers in the southern ontario region, i can assure you less then 1% of that number is corrupt
To blatantly hi-jack this thread...

A local police officer last week was caught stealing cocaine from the evidence room for his own, personal use.

Instead of his ass being fired, he's currently on PAID leave and his lawyer is seeking "help".

What a joke.
Nov 21, 2003
848 posts
2 upvotes
Entrance standards for police are pretty high...that's not the problem.

The problem is that once you're a veteran officer, you're pretty much untouchable. This is because of a strong union, an insular and protective culture, the sense that they're above the law, and most importantly, an ignorant and apathetic public.

But hey, you could easily argue that these are benefits of the job. It's just a perk of the job that you get to act on your prejudices and take out your aggression on whoever you want. Since I'm not black or poor, why should I care?
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
1258 posts
405 upvotes
GTA
It's funny how people only say bad things about police officers. What about all the good things they do? :confused:
Just thank GOD you don't live in a country where 100% of cops are corrupt. $$$ :twisted: $$$
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3971 posts
386 upvotes
$42,000-$45,000 to start, for Peel. If you get over 90% in OPC, you get your promotion within 6 mths instead of a year :D .. a constable with about 3 years on the jobs gets around $72,000.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
tigger03 wrote:$42,000-$45,000 to start, for Peel. If you get over 90% in OPC, you get your promotion within 6 mths instead of a year :D .. a constable with about 3 years on the jobs gets around $72,000.

not including paid duties and overtime, most cops make closer to 90,000 a year if not 6 figures.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
1258 posts
405 upvotes
GTA
Plus they get great benefits for them and the family and lots of vacation time!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3971 posts
386 upvotes
too bad you get like a free wknd a month .. but hey, after like 6 night shifts, you get 7 days off! Imagine your paycheque coming in on your week off ... it's kinda cool.

When you're a rookie, you gotta work Christmas and stuff ... the senior guyz usually get it off. I heard the pension isn't that great, but the benefits and vacations are. :D
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
5 upvotes
hmm perhaps I should consider being an officer now instead of CA lol

edit: Oh o, I wear glasses :|
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
tigger03 wrote:too bad you get like a free wknd a month .. but hey, after like 6 night shifts, you get 7 days off! Imagine your paycheque coming in on your week off ... it's kinda cool.

When you're a rookie, you gotta work Christmas and stuff ... the senior guyz usually get it off. I heard the pension isn't that great, but the benefits and vacations are. :D
depends where u work, most departments do 4 on 4 off, you do 2 12 hour day shifts then 2 12 hour nights, then u get 4 days off, so your only working half the year unless you factor in overtime

toronto police have a weird shift schedule
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
1258 posts
405 upvotes
GTA
beerbaron105 wrote:depends where u work, most departments do 4 on 4 off, you do 2 12 hour day shifts then 2 12 hour nights, then u get 4 days off, so your only working half the year unless you factor in overtime

Like I said previously cops have tons of vacation too. You book 4 days off you actually get 12 days off in total... Now that is SWEET :cheesygri
Apr 25, 2006
316 posts
beerbaron105 wrote:depends where u work, most departments do 4 on 4 off, you do 2 12 hour day shifts then 2 12 hour nights, then u get 4 days off, so your only working half the year unless you factor in overtime

Its not wierd, its basically rotating shifts.
Mar 6, 2005
194 posts
Konowl wrote:To blatantly hi-jack this thread...

A local police officer last week was caught stealing cocaine from the evidence room for his own, personal use.

Instead of his ass being fired, he's currently on PAID leave and his lawyer is seeking "help".

What a joke.

Ya that's pretty typical. A normal citizen gets caught stealing something or possessing cocaine, he goes to court and is punished by the law. A cop does the same thing, he gets paid vacation..err..leave, and with the police union backing him, he'll be back on the job, free to do whatever he wants, again. Chalk up another one for the "good" guys. sickening. i hope everyone knows that his paid leave is coming straight out of our pockets, and remember that guy, and the others like him, next time you look at your taxes.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
1258 posts
405 upvotes
GTA
Pipes wrote:Ya that's pretty typical. A normal citizen gets caught stealing something or possessing cocaine, he goes to court and is punished by the law. A cop does the same thing, he gets paid vacation..err..leave, and with the police union backing him, he'll be back on the job, free to do whatever he wants, again. Chalk up another one for the "good" guys. sickening. i hope everyone knows that his paid leave is coming straight out of our pockets, and remember that guy, and the others like him, next time you look at your taxes.
Don't cops pay taxes too or no? :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2005
2431 posts
8 upvotes
Don't forget about the important perk where they get to ride the GO and TTC for free not to mention on call to accident sites with dismembered, bloddy bodies and guts :D
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
Audiogenic wrote:Don't forget about the important perk where they get to ride the GO and TTC for free not to mention on call to accident sites with dismembered, bloddy bodies and guts :D
well they get free rides because then they are able to police on those vehicles with lots of pedestrian traffic flow as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)