Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Bed Bath And Beyond

Brooklyn Beer shop kits and mixes

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2017 6:32 pm
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
136 upvotes
1st update: I'll provide my own follow up. In the end, I used 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Might be on the light side talking to LBS guy. Guess will find out soon. Apparently at Calgary altitude, you need a bit more sugar. Might buy some dextrose for next time. The first batch turned out pretty cloudy as well as I squeezed the mash a bit to get every last drop. Still bottle conditioning at this point. Hopefully, it will clear up and sediment will drop in the bottle a bit more. UPDATE: Cracked the first beer tonight. Great opening sound, good amount of bubbles and head after pouring into a glass. Good taste and nice smell. Easy drinking. Pretty happy with the result. Still a little cloudy but not not much different than some off the shelf beers.

Second batch of the Brown ale went much better. Probably cut the total brew time in half by avoiding the mistakes from the first go around. Also added some Irish Moss to the boil in the last 20 minutes which clarified the beer very well within a few days. Did shake the glass bottle fermenter after pitching for longer this time and the fermentation action was much more noticeable in the first few days as well.

Chapters had 'The Great Lakes Lager' kit made by The Brewers Market (Canadian Company) on sale for ~$35, so I splurged and bought one of those as well to give it a shot.

2nd Update: The Brown Ale turned out great! Offered to a friend and he likened it to the Sleeman's Honey Brown. Took 4 weeks to bottle and 3 weeks of bottle conditioning, just mainly due to fact that I had no time, but the extra time to age paid off and it tastes great. Fermenting the Great lakes lager at the moment. It's clarifying well. Will also try to use glass bottles with caps this time around and save the grolsh bottle for another batch. Also bough some extra grain mixes from BBB as they are still on sale. Can't beat the price for $11 for 11 beers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)