Expired Hot Deals

[Bed Bath And Beyond] Kuhn Rikon Duromatic 8 qt. SS Stock Pot Pressure Cooker - $240 FS

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 3:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2348 posts
1028 upvotes
Calgary

[Bed Bath And Beyond] Kuhn Rikon Duromatic 8 qt. SS Stock Pot Pressure Cooker - $240 FS

Not sure if this is HOT, WARM or perhaps COLD but I've been waiting for this Kuhn Rikon 8.4 quart stockpot style pressure cooker to be on sale but nothing doing as yet. 3xCamel shows this particular pressure cooker was as low as $220 way back in 2013 but unless the swiss franc (fwiw this is still made in & by the Swiss) tanks or cad does a yuge turnaround, I seriously doubt $220 (or lower) will happen anytime soon. Meanwhile I need a larger pressure cooker to make my soups.

Talking about soups, I've been making some awesome quick cooking soups in my present Kuhn Rikon 5.5 Qt cooker but space is getting too tight for my liking - for those not in the know, pressure cookers should only be filled 3/4 ways at most & 1/2 way for certain foods (eg.grains & others that expands &or froths) so my 5.5Qt is actually only 4Qt at best. I also have the instantpot duo60 but my KR stove top cooker beats it handily in cooking time & more importantly, much better taste (I have no idea why but my taste buds says so). Additionally, I much prefer this 8.4Qt stockpot style short handles rather than the 5.5Qt fry pan style long handle as the short handles makes it much easier to carry when full & fits into the sink for cleaning & depressurizing much better.

BBB's selling this at a reduced price @$299.99 (the 7Qt sells for $30 more) + email sub coupon offers an additional 20% off bringing it to $239.99 which by the way, is the cheapest I've found anywhere in Canada. Amazon US sells this for usd$200 + usd$86 shipping to Canada so unless one lives at the border, that would be a non starter. even if one can jump across the border easily, usd200 = cad27x so thats a non starter as well.

for those not in the know, KR pressure cookers are very well received & are considered to be one of the premier PC's on the market regardless of money.
Last edited by scotsum on May 17th, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Jan 29, 2017
516 posts
510 upvotes
240+tax, you can try to get %25 off by matching Home Outfitters coupon. YMMV as they require The Bay CC.
Oct 12, 2008
306 posts
342 upvotes
Markham
This is hot. Been waiting on a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker deal.

Thanks OP, upvoted!

Edit: 20% coupon can only be used in stores. There's no Bed Bath and Beyond with stock within 100KM of Toronto.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2348 posts
1028 upvotes
Calgary
Dave510 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:10 pm
Edit: 20% coupon can only be used in stores. There's no Bed Bath and Beyond with stock within 100KM of Toronto.
my local BBB stores have no stock either so this is how I ordered my KR PC (or any item/s for that matter) -I ordered it instore. the BBB CSR went to his computer station to order it online & at the sametime, applied the 20% off coupon with the PC shipped to my front door. bit more of a hassle but totally worth it IMO. plus, no one beats BBB's return policy should the product not live up to one's expectations.
May 5, 2016
84 posts
29 upvotes
i've been quite happy with my t-fal clipso. how does the kuhn rikon compare? higher psi but any other benefits?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1195 posts
197 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Not a surprise you think it cooks better than an IP, they don't generate enough pressure to cook properly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2348 posts
1028 upvotes
Calgary
duttydeals wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:45 pm
i've been quite happy with my t-fal clipso. how does the kuhn rikon compare? higher psi but any other benefits?
honestly I really dont know whats the differences btwn all these pressure cookers as the only other PC I've used is the electric IP duo60. that said, what I've discovered about my KR is how little water it takes to cook something, how little loss of moisture & how little juice I need to maintain high pressure - once I reach high pressure, I put it on the lowest possible heat setting & I get the feeling I can even go lower if thats available.

the last poster mentioned about the IP not generating enough pressure ie.heat to cook properly brings up a chinese cooking expression in cantonese called "wok hei" (roughly translated = wok's breath/air) which is the reason for professional restaurants being able to stirfry beyond what's available at a typical home. could always be wrong but I'm assuming wok hei is the high heat generated by the big btu burners not replicatable by home stoves thereby, cooking the food faster & again I'm guessing, less time with the food being in direct contact with heat.

if this makes any sense, if one extrapolates from the wok hei theory, a good PC cooks tastier foods from "PC Hei" Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Oct 12, 2008
306 posts
342 upvotes
Markham
Great, going to hit up my local BBB and order one.

The KR PCs are really awesome, and way more versatile than electric pressure cookers. (I like being able to use it as a regular pot before or after a pressure cook, less pots to wash)
May 5, 2016
84 posts
29 upvotes
scotsum wrote:
May 18th, 2017 1:11 pm
honestly I really dont know whats the differences btwn all these pressure cookers as the only other PC I've used is the electric IP duo60. that said, what I've discovered about my KR is how little water it takes to cook something, how little loss of moisture & how little juice I need to maintain high pressure - once I reach high pressure, I put it on the lowest possible heat setting & I get the feeling I can even go lower if thats available.

the last poster mentioned about the IP not generating enough pressure ie.heat to cook properly brings up a chinese cooking expression in cantonese called "wok hei" (roughly translated = wok's breath/air) which is the reason for professional restaurants being able to stirfry beyond what's available at a typical home. could always be wrong but I'm assuming wok hei is the high heat generated by the big btu burners not replicatable by home stoves thereby, cooking the food faster & again I'm guessing, less time with the food being in direct contact with heat.

if this makes any sense, if one extrapolates from the wok hei theory, a good PC cooks tastier foods from "PC Hei" Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Got an Instant Pot as well, not a fan of the release mechanism though I do like the timer function. I like my T-Fal Clipso much better as a pressure pot in every way except for the timer feature. I'm sure the Kuhn Rikon will be pretty good -- it's like double the price.

Unrelated to pressure cookers but since you mentioned it.... Try getting an outdoor propane burner. There are some pretty powerful ones out there that the beer homebrewing guys like to use. I've got a Bass Pro Shops fish fryer burner and a carbon steel wok for the wok-hei effect. I like it. Get your cast iron skillet on there and it's killer good for deep frying as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2348 posts
1028 upvotes
Calgary
rMBA13 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:39 am
Don't be silly, you can buy WMF 6.5-quart for only $197.50 at The Bay http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 239300--24
actually this 8.5L WMF is the equivalent size to this KR. at $227.50, it is $12.50 cheaper. that said, I own 2 other KR Cookers (5.5Qt & 2.25Qt braiser) & am very familiar with the cleaning procedure + all 3 of them are 8.75" opening stockpot size so all lids, gaskets & other parts are identical which makes it much easier to get parts as eventually, the gasket will have to be replaced in all PC's.

not much reviews on WMF cookers but I've no doubt its a quality piece.
Aug 27, 2013
337 posts
141 upvotes
cloud
Someone has to post this again. FYI...