Hot Deals

[Bed Bath And Beyond] Zwilling J.A. Henckels Four Star 8-Piece Knife Block - $199.99 ($159.99 with in-store coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 6:51 pm
May 28, 2007
214 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
Brookside05 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 2:19 pm
Check out Canadian Tire for some Henckels knives. There's at least 2 forged ones on sale.
Henkel International (one man) is overprices and sub par quality overall. Almost always Chinese-made "German steel". The only brand carried by CT.
Zwilling (twins) are proper knives, Spanish made lower end, German (four stars and up)- higher quality.
May 28, 2007
214 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
mbmbkop wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 6:24 pm
From what I know, those do not have to be professionally sharpened but, of course, can be. The set comes with TWIN 9" Sharpening steel, so this should be enough if you take good care of these knives (no dishwasher, for example).
Can't comment on the 20% discount (the set is not available in my local store, and most BBB coupons are for in-store purchases). If it can be added to this, the deal will be very hot.
I bought this set 2 days ago. The coupon did not apply, so I called the CS and they post-applied it to my order. Total price (taxes in, free shipping) was ~$180.
Jul 16, 2016
58 posts
41 upvotes
Is anyone able to give me the FULL description of this product?

Apparently, they are missing ONE item from their description...

Zwilling® J.A. Henckels Four Star 8-Piece Knife Block

199.99 CAD

4" paring knife
5" serrated utility knife
5.5" prep knife
8" chef's knife
TWIN Kitchen shears
TWIN 9" Sharpening steel
Beechwood knife block

I have called BBB and unfortunately, they did not have the full description since it is from a third-party vendor.

Are they all made -in-Germany including the knife block?

Do you think this product is different from the one in official Zwilling site or The Bay site?

Official Zwilling Canada Website

https://www.zwilling.ca/product/four-st ... block-set/

ZWILLING Four Star® 8 pc Block Set
35746-800

349.99CAD

Paring Knife 3" / 80 mm
Bagel Knife 5" / 130 mm
Petty Knife 5.5" / 140 mm
Chef's Knife 8" / 200 mm
Bread Knife 8" / 200 mm
Kitchen Shears
Sharpening Steel
Knife Block Natura

The Bay

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 46-800--24

ZWILLING J.A.HENCKELS Four Star Eight-Piece Knife Block Set

249.99 CAD

4" Paring Knife
5" Serrated Utility Knife
6" Utility/Sandwich Knife
8" Bread Knife
8" Chef's Knife
Kitchen shears
Sharpening steel
14-slot Beechwood Knife Block

Zwilling's "Block set"s seem like they are very easy to be misinterpreted, lots of vendors do not put the detail of each items.

I've seen some cases where they put "4-star xx-piece knife block set" with a very competitive price, but the set consists of one or two 4-star knives and everything else is made from some random places.

I would appreciate it if someone can clarify this for me...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1009 posts
222 upvotes
Winnipeg
moeseo wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:36 pm
Is anyone able to give me the FULL description of this product?

Apparently, they are missing ONE item from their description...
I would appreciate it if someone can clarify this for me...
I think they forgot to list the 8" bread knife which is in the picture. However, it'd be nice if somebody who already got this set could confirm.
moeseo wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:36 pm
Zwilling's "Block set"s seem like they are very easy to be misinterpreted, lots of vendors do not put the detail of each items.

I've seen some cases where they put "4-star xx-piece knife block set" with a very competitive price, but the set consists of one or two 4-star knives and everything else is made from some random places.
My set has not been delivered yet, and so I cannot confirm that all pieces are Four Star, but I'll be very surprised if they aren't. I know that some "bonus steak knife sets" that sometimes come with these Four Star blocks might not be made in Germany, but that's about it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1009 posts
222 upvotes
Winnipeg
Sphynx wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:39 am
I bought this set 2 days ago. The coupon did not apply, so I called the CS and they post-applied it to my order. Total price (taxes in, free shipping) was ~$180.
Wait.. you ordered this set online, could not use an IN-STORE coupon, called them, and they then post-applied that IN-STORE coupon to your online order.. is that it? You did not even have to go to the actual bricks and mortar store?
Wonder why these are called "in-store coupons" then if they can be applied to online orders from the convenience of your home... What exactly did you tell them? :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1009 posts
222 upvotes
Winnipeg
dutchca wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:20 am
Just note - that thicker part of the blade at the handle is really annoying. I have a similar knife and I had it ground down and sharpened. It gets in the way when chopping and slicing. You cant use the whole length of the blade as a result of it. Also, if putting it in a horizontal knife block in a drawer, it wont fit in the slot. Less of an issue if you keep these in the block, which most will likely do.
Henckels Pro series has that part of the knife sharpened. Yes, it makes things more convenient, but one has to be more careful as well (much easier to cut your fingers).
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
2198 posts
1580 upvotes
Toronto
That price is horrible.

Just wait for this to come back on sale:

https://www.zwilling.ca/product/gourmet ... set-10-pc/

edit: actually never mind, apparently 4 star is a higher line? in that case, decent deal!

It's always good to be underestimated.---Donald Trump

I never downvote anyone and I try to help everyone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1009 posts
222 upvotes
Winnipeg
Glancealot wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 3:38 pm
That price is horrible.

Just wait for this to come back on sale:

https://www.zwilling.ca/product/gourmet ... set-10-pc/

edit: actually never mind, apparently 4 star is a higher line? in that case, decent deal!

Yeah.. The knives in the gourmet series are all stamped (not forged) as far as I know. As far as I am concerned, no comparison.
Jul 7, 2017
53 posts
9 upvotes
Sphynx wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:37 am
Henkel International (one man) is overprices and sub par quality overall. Almost always Chinese-made "German steel". The only brand carried by CT.
Zwilling (twins) are proper knives, Spanish made lower end, German (four stars and up)- higher quality.
Henckels International (all single man) is made in a whole bunch of places. Add at least Brazil and Portugal to your list (stuff I've seen in thrift shops).

The forged treatment is said to be somewhat misleading at any rate as it may be just one machine-applied hammer to the cutting edge, according to those at chef knife websites. Says the man with a dozen J.A. Henckels knives (only 3 or so bought new)
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10729 posts
1740 upvotes
Ottawa
the knife block will never be German made. I looked at a bunch of Henckels knife blocks in a store and they were all China including the one I have that was purchased separately. The TWIN scissors I have at home are German. Not sure about the honing steel.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Mar 6, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
Sphynx wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:37 am
I don’t get all the hate for the henckels int. knives when it’s $99 or 79 its a good deal and more knife for 99% of people out there I don’t see how they’re garbage as people claim

the only ones I find awful are some of those farberware ones from walmart but other than those crap ones with cheap plastic handles

Am I missing something? I have never felt any difference between the zwilling and int knives?? as long as they're sharp I can slice anything efficiently...

I’ve worked in a restaurant since I was 14 up until I was 25 and I’ve been passionate about cooking since my mom made me cook as a kid and my parents owned restaurants and cooked most of their lives and after cutting and boning endless amounts of vegetables fruits, meat etc… I can tell you any of those knives like henckels int., kitchen aid, etc are good enough.

all these expensive german and japanese knives are basically cosmetic (ie. more expensive material and handmade)when you pay for the premium.

People dropping $300-400 on one knife or a set remind of 20 handicaps thinking they need forged blade players irons.

when you get a nice knife set or a decent knife, just wash with cold water, don’t put it in the dishwasher and dry it after washing and sharpen every now and then you’ll be fine and your mediocre knife set will last a life time.
May 28, 2007
214 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
mbmbkop wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 3:07 pm
Wait.. you ordered this set online, could not use an IN-STORE coupon, called them, and they then post-applied that IN-STORE coupon to your online order.. is that it? You did not even have to go to the actual bricks and mortar store?
Wonder why these are called "in-store coupons" then if they can be applied to online orders from the convenience of your home... What exactly did you tell them? :)
May 28, 2007
214 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
dpacto wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 5:12 pm
I don’t get all the hate for the henckels int. knives when it’s $99 or 79 its a good deal and more knife for 99% of people out there I don’t see how they’re garbage as people claim

the only ones I find awful are some of those farberware ones from walmart but other than those crap ones with cheap plastic handles

Am I missing something? I have never felt any difference between the zwilling and int knives?? as long as they're sharp I can slice anything efficiently...

I’ve worked in a restaurant since I was 14 up until I was 25 and I’ve been passionate about cooking since my mom made me cook as a kid and my parents owned restaurants and cooked most of their lives and after cutting and boning endless amounts of vegetables fruits, meat etc… I can tell you any of those knives like henckels int., kitchen aid, etc are good enough.

all these expensive german and japanese knives are basically cosmetic (ie. more expensive material and handmade)when you pay for the premium.

People dropping $300-400 on one knife or a set remind of 20 handicaps thinking they need forged blade players irons.

when you get a nice knife set or a decent knife, just wash with cold water, don’t put it in the dishwasher and dry it after washing and sharpen every now and then you’ll be fine and your mediocre knife set will last a life time.
I owned (still own partially) a Chinese Henkel set. Steel all the way (including handles), looking nice. Steel is not great, Chef's knife's blade has a bit of a curve, knives wouldn't stay sharp. Noticeably lower quality overall.
May 28, 2007
214 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
thriftshopper wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 4:10 pm
Henckels International (all single man) is made in a whole bunch of places. Add at least Brazil and Portugal to your list (stuff I've seen in thrift shops).

The forged treatment is said to be somewhat misleading at any rate as it may be just one machine-applied hammer to the cutting edge, according to those at chef knife websites. Says the man with a dozen J.A. Henckels knives (only 3 or so bought new)
Spain itself makes fantastic knives like 3 claveles or Arcos. Sadly they don't sell them here alot.
Jul 7, 2017
53 posts
9 upvotes
Sphynx wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 5:55 pm
I owned (still own partially) a Chinese Henkel set. Steel all the way (including handles), looking nice. Steel is not great, Chef's knife's blade has a bit of a curve, knives wouldn't stay sharp. Noticeably lower quality overall.
Spain itself makes fantastic knives like 3 claveles or Arcos. Sadly they don't sell them here alot.
If I am not mistaken, many of the Henckels International knives are very thin, and looked like they're plated. Certainly the only Henckels Int'l knife (Spanish-made steak knife) I have appears that way.

They're all made for a certain price point that is profitable for everyone - so working down from retail price, you wonder how much the metal actually costs. I've seen lots of junk knives, but also Farberware, KitchenAid and Lagostina-branded stuff among others trying to look like forged Henckels knives. Not that I buy any of these (at the thrift shops).

I'm sure a lot of countries sell better cutlery but access to our markets is challenging to say the least, and probably not worthwhile.