Hot Deals

[Bed Bath And Beyond] Zwilling J.A. Henckels Four Star 8-Piece Knife Block - $199.99 ($159.99 with in-store coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 6:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1027 posts
225 upvotes
Winnipeg
warpdrive wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 8:56 am
with the zwillings sale earlier in the year, and continual henkels/global sales, it seems like a lot of RFD people loaded up on kitchen knives this year. I know I did and I wasn't even in the market for new knives!

I'm hoping to pick up more Henckels Kramer knives, those are definitely my favorite.
How much did you pay for those Kramer knives, and where do you usually buy them? They are nice, aren't they?.. quite expensive though unless you can find some very good deals..
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10732 posts
1741 upvotes
Ottawa
mbmbkop wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:04 am
How much did you pay for those Kramer knives, and where do you usually buy them? They are nice, aren't they?.. quite expensive though unless you can find some very good deals..
they were 50% off at the time for the Essential line. The warehouse sale in Toronto was even cheaper but I wasn't there. ($125 for 8 inch chef's Essential knife which is a hot deal). The Essential line is the perfect knife IMO, feels perfectly balanced with a comfy well shaped handle, harder steel than the German blades, but not so exotic you are afraid to use them. I will buy more of them for sure.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Jun 10, 2013
87 posts
22 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:02 am
When did you place it? Did they provide a reason for canceling it?

The set is out of stock online yet again... so perhaps that's why. You can wait until it's back in stock and call them then. Perhaps they'll be able to reactivate your canceled order.
They cancelled mine (yesterday) even though I ordered it when it was in stock (Thursday night).
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2165 posts
1268 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mbmbkop wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 3:02 pm
I think they forgot to list the 8" bread knife which is in the picture. However, it'd be nice if somebody who already got this set could confirm.

My set has not been delivered yet, and so I cannot confirm that all pieces are Four Star, but I'll be very surprised if they aren't. I know that some "bonus steak knife sets" that sometimes come with these Four Star blocks might not be made in Germany, but that's about it.
I don't think they forgot to list anything. It looks like there is no 8" bread knife, just a 5" serrated utility knife that looks like a bread knife but of course is way too short for bread.
IMHO these three knives are redundant:
4" paring knife
5" serrated utility knife
5.5" prep knife

You might use one small knife occasionally, so I'd recommend just one 4" or 5", whether labelled "utility" or "paring". And if you keep your knives sharp, the only time you'll wish you had a serrated knife is if you cut a lot of soft but crusty bread, and for that you'll want at least 8" but 10" is much more convenient.

And the shears are nice but nothing special; just included to fill out the set for marketing purposes, IMHO.
And I agree that the full-length bolster (that chunk of steel where the blade meets the handle) is not only needless but seriously in the way of proper sharpening, cutting board use, and drawer block storage.
Aside from all that, this knife model is decent steel and geometry. But I'd still recommend getting another model that doesn't have that clunky bolster, and whatever else you might want (a small utility knife and/or 8" or 10" bread knife, and if there's anything else you tend to use) and get either a small countertop block or in-drawer block, or a magnetic bar for the wall. And do get a good honing/sharpening steel. In fact even if you buy this block as is you'll get a better steel if you buy one separately and give/throw away the cheap one in the set - they never include a good steel in these sets.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1027 posts
225 upvotes
Winnipeg
And it's back in stock again.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
1165 posts
685 upvotes
Toronto
I was at college and Yonge BBB, and they have the pro set (6 or 7 piece) for $350 - 20% = $280, which is not bad
Sep 16, 2016
10 posts
1 upvote
warpdrive wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:26 am
they were 50% off at the time for the Essential line. The warehouse sale in Toronto was even cheaper but I wasn't there. ($125 for 8 inch chef's Essential knife which is a hot deal). The Essential line is the perfect knife IMO, feels perfectly balanced with a comfy well shaped handle, harder steel than the German blades, but not so exotic you are afraid to use them. I will buy more of them for sure.
I got Zwilling kramer euroline essential knife last time and now I am researching honing steel.
I just wonder if I can use any common honing steel from any brands?
I think I should consider the hardness of knife??
The blade is made of professional FC61 special steel, hardened to approx. 61 Rockwell.
What honing steel are you using??
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6638 posts
1777 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You need to get a honing steel that is harder than the knife you are using. So, you can go around a look for such an animal OR you can use a ceramic honing rod which would be much harder than anything you can find that is made out of steel.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10732 posts
1741 upvotes
Ottawa
hahahahaha wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:08 pm
I got Zwilling kramer euroline essential knife last time and now I am researching honing steel.
I just wonder if I can use any common honing steel from any brands?
I think I should consider the hardness of knife??
The blade is made of professional FC61 special steel, hardened to approx. 61 Rockwell.
What honing steel are you using??
In general, there should be no problem using any honing steel, but the harder the steel, the more you should consider just stropping instead of honing because the edge isn't as bendable.

But I have a Shun combo honing steel. (like this. https://houseofknives.ca/shun-kanso-9-c ... flashsale/)
I bought it when I first got a couple of Shun knives which are 61 hardness VG10 steel. The Euroline steel is supposed to be easy to take care of and won't necessarily chip that easily so I am going to continue using the same honing steel (it seems to work well with my Shun, so I don't see why not use it on the Kramer. I haven't gone to a ceramic honing steel and I think it's probably not necessary. But if I were to buy another one, I would consider those.
Sep 16, 2016
10 posts
1 upvote
craftsman wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:53 pm
You need to get a honing steel that is harder than the knife you are using. So, you can go around a look for such an animal OR you can use a ceramic honing rod which would be much harder than anything you can find that is made out of steel.
warpdrive wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:28 pm
In general, there should be no problem using any honing steel, but the harder the steel, the more you should consider just stropping instead of honing because the edge isn't as bendable.

But I have a Shun combo honing steel. (like this. https://houseofknives.ca/shun-kanso-9-c ... flashsale/)
I bought it when I first got a couple of Shun knives which are 61 hardness VG10 steel. The Euroline steel is supposed to be easy to take care of and won't necessarily chip that easily so I am going to continue using the same honing steel (it seems to work well with my Shun, so I don't see why not use it on the Kramer. I haven't gone to a ceramic honing steel and I think it's probably not necessary. But if I were to buy another one, I would consider those.
Thanks Guys!!
Feb 22, 2015
124 posts
82 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Should I get the four star set for $160 or the five star set for $200?

It seems the major difference is the handles' shape. Should I wait for pro series to be on sale? Worth the extra cost?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6638 posts
1777 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tongyiba wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:57 pm

It seems the major difference is the handles' shape. Should I wait for pro series to be on sale? Worth the extra cost?
Since the blades are the same, get the one that feels right in your hands. If possible, see if you can bring something to chop (ie an onion, carrot...) to get a real sense of the knife.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10732 posts
1741 upvotes
Ottawa
tongyiba wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:57 pm

there's nothing wrong with the four star, millions/billions probably have been sold the last few decades to serious chefs and home cooks all over the world. It's tried and true. The other knives have a different handle, it's really about personal comfort. Some people don't like the full bolster on the four star and five star, but some find the Pro half blade design uncomfortable for a pinch grip. I do like the feel of the five star but the four star is very comfortable.

As mentioned, it's all about the handle since all of them use the same blade and quality of steel, so you have to choose based on your preferences. They will all cut well and last a long time if maintained/honed/sharpened properly.
Aug 18, 2017
50 posts
72 upvotes
Anyone received the knife set? Mine is still on its way from the states.
Feb 22, 2015
124 posts
82 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
warpdrive wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 4:43 pm
there's nothing wrong with the four star, millions/billions probably have been sold the last few decades to serious chefs and home cooks all over the world. It's tried and true. The other knives have a different handle, it's really about personal comfort. Some people don't like the full bolster on the four star and five star, but some find the Pro half blade design uncomfortable for a pinch grip. I do like the feel of the five star but the four star is very comfortable.

As mentioned, it's all about the handle since all of them use the same blade and quality of steel, so you have to choose based on your preferences. They will all cut well and last a long time if maintained/honed/sharpened properly.
Thanks for the input. Besides handle difference, the five star set has 6" utility knife while the four star set has 5" serrated utility knife. Any comment?